W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W212 E63 6.2 NA - Did I just fry my gearbox?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
W212 E63 6.2 NA - Did I just fry my gearbox?

Hey guys,

OK so I done something really stupid. While I was driving in the car I accidentally pressed the P button on the gear shifter and the car started making a noise like something was taping on something like tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick. This happened for about 10 whole seconds before I realised it was the P engaged and shifted to D again. I assume this was the parking pawl....

How bad is it guys, what damage do you think I did?

By the way I cannot believe they let the car shift to P while it's moving, old cars have a feature were they don't shift into P if the car is moving?!!!
Old 07-22-2017, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 911 Likes on 641 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by e500slr
Hey guys,

OK so I done something really stupid. While I was driving in the car I accidentally pressed the P button on the gear shifter and the car started making a noise like something was taping on something like tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick. This happened for about 10 whole seconds before I realised it was the P engaged and shifted to D again. I assume this was the parking pawl....

How bad is it guys, what damage do you think I did?

By the way I cannot believe they let the car shift to P while it's moving, old cars have a feature were they don't shift into P if the car is moving?!!!
As long as everything is still functioning I would say you're fine. If damage is done the car wouldn't want to drive. But, if the ticking stops and drives like it did before your mistake you should be okay.

Any lasting negative effects you notice since?
Old 07-22-2017, 03:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
As long as everything is still functioning I would say you're fine. If damage is done the car wouldn't want to drive. But, if the ticking stops and drives like it did before your mistake you should be okay.

Any lasting negative effects you notice since?
Well it stopped after I put it in D again but I haven't driven it since. I'm worried something broke or chipped in the mechanism and will now wreak havoc inside the gearbox. I just cannot believe they didn't think of this in the design of the electronic shifter, JESUS CHRIST a 15 year old Camry has failsafes to prevent this. Hands slip and accidents happen.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,141 Likes on 1,499 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
It begs the question ... what was your speed when you pressed P?
Old 07-22-2017, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
The most that would happen is that you would break the little cam that locks the car when parked. Put the car in park and see if it holds it. If it does, you're fine
Old 07-22-2017, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
It begs the question ... what was your speed when you pressed P?
About 20 mph.

Originally Posted by gaspam
The most that would happen is that you would break the little cam that locks the car when parked. Put the car in park and see if it holds it. If it does, you're fine
Yes it does. So the parking pawl isn't connected to anything critical in the gearbox. Isn't it connected to the output shaft, could that have been damaged. I didn't hear a loud bang. It was like it was missing it like a machine gun sound. God I'm an idiot
Old 07-22-2017, 02:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Did you feel any attempt by the car to slow down? I cannot believe either it doesn't have some safety mechanism in place at that speed
Old 07-22-2017, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Did you feel any attempt by the car to slow down? I cannot believe either it doesn't have some safety mechanism in place at that speed
Yh you would think, I was shocked. No the car wasn't slowing down faster, the thing sounded like it was missing it like that thing on a spin board below. It was LOUD though.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...w-displays.jpg

At least I have a spare gearbox for this car but I don't like being scared something chipped off and is now loose or something is broken etc. One day I might be driving and bang, gearbox failure.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Is it under warranty?
Old 07-24-2017, 11:31 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
2020 E63S
Originally Posted by gaspam
Agreed. The clicking is just that cam making a popping noise as it tries to seat. Most likely no harm no foul. As gaspam said, it it engages the park function normally, it is probably good to go. There is no other mechanical device that holds the car in park beside that. On that note, that is why its always a good idea to set your parking brake -- its only a small pin/cam that holds the car from moving.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:06 PM

Received 183 Likes on 115 Posts
2015 E400 and 2015 GLK350
I have no direct experience with MB transmissions and engaging Park while in motion, but on older Detroit iron, if you put the selector into Park while moving, it made a sound like a ratchet clicking across gear teeth. As long as you were moving fast enough that the pawl couldn't engage, no damage would be done. BUT if you were to slow down and the pawl then abruptly engaged, crack! No more Park. Most people realized their error as soon as they heard the sound, and put the selector back into neutral or drive. These were the lucky folks whose cars suffered no damage. Those scared enough to try to stop their cars often trashed the park pawl and were treated to a major repair bill.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Is it under warranty?
No. It's not under warranty.

Originally Posted by arcticfox
Agreed. The clicking is just that cam making a popping noise as it tries to seat. Most likely no harm no foul. As gaspam said, it it engages the park function normally, it is probably good to go. There is no other mechanical device that holds the car in park beside that. On that note, that is why its always a good idea to set your parking brake -- its only a small pin/cam that holds the car from moving.
Just wondering if it's a separate mechanism or related to the drive gears. I just don't want to damage the drive gears. Don't want to be at WOT one day and then disaster.

Originally Posted by SteveE400
I have no direct experience with MB transmissions and engaging Park while in motion, but on older Detroit iron, if you put the selector into Park while moving, it made a sound like a ratchet clicking across gear teeth. As long as you were moving fast enough that the pawl couldn't engage, no damage would be done. BUT if you were to slow down and the pawl then abruptly engaged, crack! No more Park. Most people realized their error as soon as they heard the sound, and put the selector back into neutral or drive. These were the lucky folks whose cars suffered no damage. Those scared enough to try to stop their cars often trashed the park pawl and were treated to a major repair bill.
Yes I imagined it exactly like that. Kind of like if you floor a car on sand it slips but to try to traction out you would have to apply gas carefully. Bad analogy but I get what you're saying. If it was like 5 mph it would give the pawl a better chance of sitting but the car would still be moving way too fast and it would snap it.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:11 AM

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
2019 GLC 63 SUV, 2013 SLK55
The incredible thing is that the park button is clearly 100% electronically controlled so they could have easily added some computer code to check "if car is moving, don't engage the goddamn park mechanism". Why not???
Old 07-26-2017, 02:47 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts
993 cab, 2014 E63 AMG 4matic T
I once tried parking on a steeper hill just with the gear box in park. It held the car for a moment but it started moving slowly down the hill shortly after I pushed P. It made the ratcheting sound like someone mentioned in the thread above. I applied the foot brake additionally and the car stayed in place. I don't think you can damage this mechanism like you tried.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Originally Posted by EckFe1
I once tried parking on a steeper hill just with the gear box in park. It held the car for a moment but it started moving slowly down the hill shortly after I pushed P. It made the ratcheting sound like someone mentioned in the thread above. I applied the foot brake additionally and the car stayed in place. I don't think you can damage this mechanism like you tried.
It sounded alot like damage. I hope not but it was not pleasant.

Originally Posted by Stereolab42
The incredible thing is that the park button is clearly 100% electronically controlled so they could have easily added some computer code to check "if car is moving, don't engage the goddamn park mechanism". Why not???

EXACTLY! I was gobsmacked this wasn't put into place, it's one of the most basic things you can think of and like you said, the damn thing is ELECTRONIC! There's not linkage at all. In the W211 there was a linkage, a physical linkage but these things have ZERO linkage with the shifter to the gearbox. Wouldn't surprise me if they schemed someone might damage the box and need a new one so they can sell more. If anyone thinks they don't design some things to break or wear out on purpose then they're too innocent to understand corporate profit models and business.