W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63

E63 Multicontour seat help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2017 | 12:02 PM

E90 M3
E63 Multicontour seat help

Anybody else find these uncomfortable? I have a 2016 E63S wagon, and love the car, but the seats are killing me. I understand seat comfort is very specific to each of us, just curious if anybody else has struggled finding a good spot. I feel like the seat bulges out mid-back, such that even with some lumbar adjustment it feels uneven or is push me out of alignment. I'm 6'3", long waisted and otherwise feel like I fit fine. I feel like I've tried every permutation of seat adjustment, but can't find a position that doesn't result in back pain after 30-45 minutes. I never noticed an issue till I spent more than a half hour in the car.

I've also never had an issue in any other car I've owned even doing 1,000 mile trips, and (touch wood) I don't have back issues. I even find the carbon buckets seats in our GT3 RS comfortable over long stretches and those are pretty tight one-piece with only one adjustment.

It's to the point I may sell the car if I can't find a solution, and don't want to do that...
Old 09-11-2017 | 01:01 PM

2016 E63 S AMG
That's too bad. I don't find the seats uncomfortable at all and I'm similar bodied. In fact, not long ago drove it 12 hours straight and surprisingly felt fine during and the next day.

Hopefully you can get it sorted rather than getting rid of the vehicle.
Old 09-11-2017 | 01:10 PM

E90 M3
Thanks Martin, I hope to figure it out soon.
Old 09-11-2017 | 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Actually the seats have been a disappointment to me as well. I liked my E55 seats much better.
Old 09-12-2017 | 02:09 AM
Out Of Control!!

2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Have you tried sitting shotgun in the passenger seat and determined if you felt as uncomfortable?
Old 09-12-2017 | 02:57 PM

E90 M3
Great idea, why didn't I think of that...? Thank you for the suggestion
Old 09-12-2017 | 03:25 PM

2014 E63 Wagon
Random thought - If you bought a wagon then it was probably for a reason and there really isn't anything similar for sale now other than the new 2018 or the new Panamera wagon I guess.

Before you lose a TON in a quick flip (between taxes depreciation etc.) it might be worth looking into what seats could slot in? Let's imagine you could fit some S class seats or the new w213 seats in there...if that fixes the problem for <5k then it might be worth it compared to the cost of exchanging vehicles. You could always swap your old seats back in when you sell.

Just giving you some ideas - good luck. I personally haven't found the seats uncomfortable for long drives though.

I'll also note, pretty awesome you have a GT3RS and fairly shocking that you think those seats are ok comfort wise. haha.
Old 09-12-2017 | 04:32 PM

E90 M3
You are correct, and those are my other options. For the Panny ST, I can't get the same kind of performance anywhere near the price of the E63, although I LOVE the way it looks - one of the best looking cars you can buy at any price.The 18 wagon was what I was originally thinking, but my impatience got the better of me and couldn't resist the car I bought - a relatively rare '16 with literally every option. I've spent time at the dealer sitting in the new 18 seats and buckets and it is seriously tempting. I wouldn't lose the sales tax for a trade (get credit in CO), but will certainly take a hit on trade price. I like the way the new car looks, and the interior is stunning if a bit overdone.

I appreciate the ideas. I not to keen on mounting a new seat with so many safety variables involved. My wife also is driving it and doesn't like the seats either (without my saying anything.)

I love my buckets, love the idea of the perf seats in the 2018...

Old 05-22-2018 | 11:11 PM

'14 E63S Estate, '05 E55T
You have described exactly my problem - can't find a comfortable position anywhere for a length of time without aggravating my IT band causing leg and knee pain. I'm 6'1" but pretty long-legged and the issue is driving me crazy. I've even tried a contoured seat cushion but no luck.
Have you found a solution yet? I too am actually considering replacing the seats...but boy that's a lot of $$$.

Tom
Old 05-23-2018 | 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by statwagon
You have described exactly my problem - can't find a comfortable position anywhere for a length of time without aggravating my IT band causing leg and knee pain. I'm 6'1" but pretty long-legged and the issue is driving me crazy. I've even tried a contoured seat cushion but no luck.
Have you found a solution yet? I too am actually considering replacing the seats...but boy that's a lot of $$$.

Tom
maybe its just my car (no clue) but I need to always make sure when i turn off the massage mechanism (pressing the "Puls" button on the seat control on right side of seat) that the massager mechanism is all the way to the bottom of the seat when i shut if off and I have to continually press the button to retract the massager (that button is the one just below the "Puls" button) to fully retract the massager so it doesnt protrude out.

try that if you havent....i hated my seat for the first week until i figured that out ((
Old 05-23-2018 | 04:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
Yes, the W212/218 seats are worst than in a Subaru Legacy.
W210/211 seats were good. W221/216/222/217 seats are wonderful.
I’m tempted to sell the car once I tried seats in C217 - the difference is huge.
Old 05-23-2018 | 11:42 AM

For me the issue is lack of thigh / knee support - if the bottom section of the seat could tilt up just a few inches more I would be golden. My W211 seats aren't the greatest (that award goes to my Volvo V70R!) but the seat rises high enough to make it comfortable.
What's frustrating is that it's only my right leg - my left leg doesn't bother me at all.
The irony is I was driving around town last night in the car and drove by a house with a brand new black 2018 E63 wagon sitting in the driveway and the owner and some friends standing around admiring it. I pulled in just to compliment him and he let me sit in it - whoa, what a difference! Makes me wish I had an extra 30 G's to trade up for one!
Old 05-24-2018 | 01:50 AM

E90 M3
No, no resolution for me sadly. And it is the exact same problem for me. Right leg / lower back. Lack of under thigh support and seat bottom length with long legs. Seriously frustration and one of the main reasons I'm selling mine. I've tried the 213 but not sure I'll go down that road. Hope you find a solution.
Old 05-24-2018 | 05:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The best or nothing
Yes, exactly. My lower back and leg get numb after a while. You can adjust your seating position - I use the same aggressive race setup on the road as on the track which helps a bit.

It has a positive side though, it made me learn a lot about stretching of hamstrings and I started exercising the most neglected part of my body - the very lower back
Old 05-24-2018 | 08:30 AM

'14 E63S, '13 G550, '06 E320 cdi, and a bunch of other stuff.
The Panamera's 14-way seats cause my lower body to go numb. E63's seats are in the top 5 I've ever experienced.

Everybody's got different needs and requirements.
Old 05-24-2018 | 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
I am 6'3" and after a while I came to figure out it was the seats that made me uncomfortable in this car not the suspension. A 3 series BMW would actually make my legs ache enough to have to pull over, while my E63 was never that bad it was similarly uncomfortable as well

I figured it out, it was the height adjustment. The seat in the 3 series was much lower to the floor board without adequate thigh support. So i raised it and it helped a lot. Did the same on my car and it seems to be better

Try raising your E63 seats as high as you can go with jusy enough headroom to not bump around on huge dips in the road. I get it will help the taller drivers having lower back and leg aches in this car.

Its also why I want performance seats in the w213, not so sure it will make a difference
Old 05-25-2018 | 06:24 AM

E90 M3
Will try raising it more, thanks for the suggestion.

I feel like the seat is out of line with the pedals or something. Offset just enough to be a problem.
Old 05-26-2018 | 07:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
Originally Posted by signes
Will try raising it more, thanks for the suggestion.

I feel like the seat is out of line with the pedals or something. Offset just enough to be a problem.
you may be right on that. That may explain why raising the seat makes it less painful for taller drivers too
Old 05-26-2018 | 08:26 AM

2016 E63s AMG
Shortly after I got my 2014 Shelby GT500 with the Recaro seats I started to have low back pains both when I’d drive it then for a day or so later. Ended up needing some Chiropractic help along with doing some low back exercises and stretches on an ongoing basis, and removing the wallet from back pocket while driving. After a couple months of this I was able to reduce Chiro to about 1x mth and the 6-8 mins of exercising /stretching from daily to 1-2x week. No issues since and the E63 seats are somewhat similar feeling IMO and no issues so far.
Old 05-26-2018 | 10:21 AM

‘17 Carrera GTS, ‘16 E63 Estate, 1965 Shelby Cobra and a few more
The fact that the Porsche carbon buckets work for you is a relevant observation. Those seats pitch your head forward due to the contour of the mid-section in the seat; so much so that a consistent complaint at the track is that when you are in one with a helmet, your head is so far forward that you are looking slightly downward. I’m shorter than you are and find that the AMG seats (I have the same year wagon you do) are comfortable and the Porsche carbon seats push my head too far forward. This makes sense because my head hits the headrest at a lower point than you do, which accentuates the back arch... In fact when I built out a 2018 wagon, I felt real heartburn about the performance seats. I liked the look of them but didn’t want the experience of how I feel in the Porsche carbon buckets.

Anybody else find these uncomfortable? I have a 2016 E63S wagon, and love the car, but the seats are killing me. I understand seat comfort is very specific to each of us, just curious if anybody else has struggled finding a good spot. I feel like the seat bulges out mid-back, such that even with some lumbar adjustment it feels uneven or is push me out of alignment. I'm 6'3", long waisted and otherwise feel like I fit fine. I feel like I've tried every permutation of seat adjustment, but can't find a position that doesn't result in back pain after 30-45 minutes. I never noticed an issue till I spent more than a half hour in the car.

I've also never had an issue in any other car I've owned even doing 1,000 mile trips, and (touch wood) I don't have back issues. I even find the carbon buckets seats in our GT3 RS comfortable over long stretches and those are pretty tight one-piece with only one adjustment.

It's to the point I may sell the car if I can't find a solution, and don't want to do that...
Old 05-27-2018 | 09:44 AM

W210
No, no resolution for me sadly. And it is the exact same problem for me. Right leg / lower back. Lack of under thigh support and seat bottom length with long legs. Seriously frustration and one of the main reasons I'm selling mine. I've tried the 213 but not sure I'll go down that road. Hope you find a solution.
I don't find the seats uncomfortable but I am tall and do find the seat bottom thigh support lacking. My plan is to experiment by installing 1/2" spacers under the front mounting points between the rails and the floor so the seat actually supports my legs.
Old 05-27-2018 | 05:44 PM

Thanks! I like RedRacer's idea about the spacers - might have to give that a try if nothing else works...
I'm also going to visit the PT to get my hip / leg loosened up. That may be the root of all the trouble to begin with.
Old 05-28-2018 | 01:41 AM

E90 M3
Originally Posted by jnolan
The fact that the Porsche carbon buckets work for you is a relevant observation. Those seats pitch your head forward due to the contour of the mid-section in the seat; so much so that a consistent complaint at the track is that when you are in one with a helmet, your head is so far forward that you are looking slightly downward. I’m shorter than you are and find that the AMG seats (I have the same year wagon you do) are comfortable and the Porsche carbon seats push my head too far forward. This makes sense because my head hits the headrest at a lower point than you do, which accentuates the back arch... In fact when I built out a 2018 wagon, I felt real heartburn about the performance seats. I liked the look of them but didn’t want the experience of how I feel in the Porsche carbon buckets.
Interesting observation. Agree that the RS buckets are more upright but I've never felt the pitched forward thing, helmet or no. Maybe bad posture to start with... lol Seriously once used to the lack of tilt I honestly don't notice it, even with hours straight in them. I am definitely very long legged compared to most so maybe with a longer torso I'd like the P seats less and these more.
Old 07-06-2018 | 04:50 PM

Mercedes-Benz AMG E63 & ML350 Bluetec
Wink

Originally Posted by kponti
I am 6'3" and after a while I came to figure out it was the seats that made me uncomfortable in this car not the suspension. A 3 series BMW would actually make my legs ache enough to have to pull over, while my E63 was never that bad it was similarly uncomfortable as well

I figured it out, it was the height adjustment. The seat in the 3 series was much lower to the floor board without adequate thigh support. So i raised it and it helped a lot. Did the same on my car and it seems to be better

Try raising your E63 seats as high as you can go with jusy enough headroom to not bump around on huge dips in the road. I get it will help the taller drivers having lower back and leg aches in this car.

Its also why I want performance seats in the w213, not so sure it will make a difference

Kponti - hey from across town! I was just thinking that I must be the only person to not love these seats and wondering why even my one and a half mile commute to work every day (don't hate) was giving me a bit of back pain. Glad to know I am not alone. I will try raising my seat. First time in my life I have complained about being tall!
Old 07-07-2018 | 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
This thread is wild to me but it shows how everyone’s physiology plays into their experience.
Personally I like the multicontour seats better in my 218 than my 211.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E63 Multicontour seat help