Sponsored by:

Tranny leaking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E63
Tranny leaking

Sup guys. I bought a 2010 E63 AMG last week and am already in love with it. Long story short I was messing around last night on the freeway and accidentally dropped to M mode and redlined in 2-3 gear. I upshifted as quick as I could and coasted. A little bit after that I pulled from a 50 roll against a SRT and I saw a **** load of smoke from my tail pipes. I couldn’t tell what color it was because it was dark. I slowed down after and proceeded to cautiously drive home. No CEL, engine oil loss, or even performance reduction. I smell burning oil now so I look and its a small leak around the transmission oil pan i think. Has anybody had this problem? Potential transmission pan and gasket leak? Im at 76k miles i bought it at 75k. Do some tranny components or engine components go out around this time of mileage? Any help will be appreciated, depending on the fix needed I’m going to DIY because I have access to alldata and identifix. Still new to the car so any pointers or tips would help. Thanks guys

Last edited by amgmrty; 09-15-2017 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by amgmrty
Sup guys. I bought a 2010 E63 AMG last week and am already in love with it. Long story short I was messing around last night on the freeway and accidentally dropped to M mode and redlined in 2-3 gear. I upshifted as quick as I could and coasted. A little bit after that I pulled from a 50 roll against a SRT and I saw a **** load of smoke from my tail pipes. I couldn’t tell what color it was because it was dark. I slowed down after and proceeded to cautiously drive home. No CEL, engine oil loss, or even performance reduction. I smell burning oil now so I look and its a small leak around the oil pan i think. Has anybody had this problem? Potential transmission pan and gasket leak? Im at 76k miles i bought it at 75k. Do some tranny components or engine components go out around this time of mileage? Any help will be appreciated, depending on the fix needed I’m going to DIY because I have access to alldata and identifix. Still new to the car so any pointers or tips would help. Thanks guys
You're probably not going to hurt anything by hitting the rev limiter occasionally and smoke coming out briefly at initial WOT tip in is normal so until you can differentiate anything else and it's not smoking all the time I wouldn't worry about either of those. I skipped the M156 motored cars so I can't comment on what to look for in the '07-'11 cars but random gasket leaks at that mileage is normal for just about any car.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E63
Originally Posted by chiromikey
You're probably not going to hurt anything by hitting the rev limiter occasionally and smoke coming out briefly at initial WOT tip in is normal so until you can differentiate anything else and it's not smoking all the time I wouldn't worry about either of those. I skipped the M156 motored cars so I can't comment on what to look for in the '07-'11 cars but random gasket leaks at that mileage is normal for just about any car.
Thanks man. Any info is helpful for me. My first AMG so im not to sure of the sounds and what to expect and what not. I’ve did a decent amount of research so I know few of the issues pertaining the M156.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:27 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Visually inspect for leaks. Unfortunately the 722.9 has no dipstick tube to check the level.
If there is a leak drain and refill