W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any experience with new CA compliant Weistec Tune?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 04:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
2020 E63S
Any experience with new CA compliant Weistec Tune?

I have been looking at tunes that are CA compliant as I live there and have to deal with smog check, etc. The only one I found was from Weistec.

In researching, I found the tune was certified by ARB in April, 2017. Being as it has been out for several months, I am curious if anybody has this tune and would be willing to share their impressions. TIA
Old 10-10-2017, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by arcticfox
I have been looking at tunes that are CA compliant as I live there and have to deal with smog check, etc. The only one I found was from Weistec.

In researching, I found the tune was certified by ARB in April, 2017. Being as it has been out for several months, I am curious if anybody has this tune and would be willing to share their impressions. TIA
This seems like a joke, or a marketing gimmick at best. The only thing making any mods non complaint would be removing smog devices so any tune should work as long as you’re not removing cats or altering 02 sensors.
The following 2 users liked this post by chiromikey:
727E63AMG (10-13-2017), kponti (10-11-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 06:31 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 E63S Wagon, 2005 E500
Its probably the P30 tune for 550hp hahaha
Old 10-11-2017, 04:59 PM

2020 E63S
Originally Posted by chiromikey
This seems like a joke, or a marketing gimmick at best. The only thing making any mods non complaint would be removing smog devices so any tune should work as long as you’re not removing cats or altering 02 sensors.
It's not a joke. In fact, tuners that do not have CARB approval risk being cited/paying penalties, etc. Take a look at ARB's enforcement page under settlements for examples. You will find several companies that got penalized for this. All software on California cars must be CARB certified (even new cars!). One exclusion is competition only vehicles (basically dedicated race cars that are never used on the street). We also have a "smog check" program here that connects to the OBD II port and analyzes the software, among other things. Although they are not necessarily going after owners at this point (that I know of), they are certainly capturing evidence and are well aware of what cars are tuned, regardless of what the tuners tell you. Its as simple as comparing a baseline (known) tune to the one on the car.

It is also a violation of federal law to alter/disable ANY part of the emission control system. This includes down pipes, high flow cats, disabling O2 sensors, etc, etc, etc. Engine control software (tunes) also fits into this category.

Our Highway Patrol (and local law enforcement) is also trained to detect modifications. I just don't want to go there.

Side note: Remember the recent VW fiasco? That was a engine control software (tune) violation in essence. It IS a big deal and not a joke.

Having a tune or aftermarket part that is in any way related to an emission control system (at least for us in CA) that doesn't have a CARB EO number is breaking the law. For the rest of you, you break federal law when you modify the emission control system. Personally, if I do decide to tune, I would want one that is legal/approved for use. Hence my inquiry.

Environmental regulatory stuff is what I do....

Link to Weistec CARB EO: https://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/d...eo/D-691-1.pdf -- CARB showed a 121 HP gain at the wheels BTW (for a non-S model).
Old 10-11-2017, 08:27 PM

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
2019 GLC 63 SUV, 2013 SLK55
We also have a "smog check" program here that connects to the OBD II port and analyzes the software, among other things
Really? You have a database that contains hashes of every "legal" version of every ECU firmware shipped with every ODB II car ever? And can measure the hash of the installed firmware and compare its legality? Color me skeptical.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's not a joke. In fact, tuners that do not have CARB approval risk being cited/paying penalties, etc. Take a look at ARB's enforcement page under settlements for examples. You will find several companies that got penalized for this. All software on California cars must be CARB certified (even new cars!). One exclusion is competition only vehicles (basically dedicated race cars that are never used on the street). We also have a "smog check" program here that connects to the OBD II port and analyzes the software, among other things. Although they are not necessarily going after owners at this point (that I know of), they are certainly capturing evidence and are well aware of what cars are tuned, regardless of what the tuners tell you. Its as simple as comparing a baseline (known) tune to the one on the car.

It is also a violation of federal law to alter/disable ANY part of the emission control system. This includes down pipes, high flow cats, disabling O2 sensors, etc, etc, etc. Engine control software (tunes) also fits into this category.

Our Highway Patrol (and local law enforcement) is also trained to detect modifications. I just don't want to go there.

Side note: Remember the recent VW fiasco? That was a engine control software (tune) violation in essence. It IS a big deal and not a joke.

Having a tune or aftermarket part that is in any way related to an emission control system (at least for us in CA) that doesn't have a CARB EO number is breaking the law. For the rest of you, you break federal law when you modify the emission control system. Personally, if I do decide to tune, I would want one that is legal/approved for use. Hence my inquiry.

Link to Weistec CARB EO: https://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/d...eo/D-691-1.pdf -- CARB showed a 121 HP gain at the wheels BTW (for a non-S model).
We can’t even tune the ecu via OBDII yet you expect me to believe CA can pull software information and then compare it to a stock file? And I don’t care what training the CHP has, they’re not detecting a tune.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:40 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
'13 E63 Wagon
Correct. All CARB has done is agree that Weistec's software doesn't change the emissions output of the vehicle such that it falls outside allowable parameters, and that the software cannot be changed by the end user:

https://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/d...eo/D-691-1.pdf
Old 10-12-2017, 12:26 PM

2020 E63S
Originally Posted by Stereolab42
Really? You have a database that contains hashes of every "legal" version of every ECU firmware shipped with every ODB II car ever? And can measure the hash of the installed firmware and compare its legality? Color me skeptical.
Never said "I" have the data. the program is administered by the Bureau of Automotive Repair. I know some of the programs capabilities. Detecting "tunes" is part of it.

We can’t even tune the ecu via OBDII yet you expect me to believe CA can pull software information and then compare it to a stock file? And I don’t care what training the CHP has, they’re not detecting a tune.
Believe what you wish. I never said CHP can detect a tune. Rather, they have been trained to spot modifications (missing cats, etc.). I should have been more clear.

Originally Posted by C Smith
Correct. All CARB has done is agree that Weistec's software doesn't change the emissions output of the vehicle such that it falls outside allowable parameters, and that the software cannot be changed by the end user:

https://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/d...eo/D-691-1.pdf
That is correct......and that EO # makes it legal for use in CA.

I really don't care what you all do. I was just saying I don't want to mess with a tune unless it is legal for use....and the reasons for that were explained (maybe poorly) in my responses.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:05 PM

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
991.2 GT3 RS; '18 AMG Wagon
buy a Tesla and be done with it Lmao
Old 10-12-2017, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cprx7
buy a Tesla and be done with it Lmao
I’m sure Weistec will offer a CA compliant tune for that too!
Old 10-13-2017, 04:37 AM

2014 E63 S, 2017 GLE 43, 2020 Cadilac Escalade, 2019 Lamborghini Performante

BS ....wrong information !
The worrst penalties, fines and regulations are in cali for sure I know that for a fact and it affects the Commercial Trucking world the most. I own a trucking company and know it very well. Everything needs to be CARB certified ...all my Trucks and trailers are. The first thing I do to my trucks is tune them...more hp more tq which saves me money on fuel....I had plenty of level 1,2 and 3 inspections in Cali and they have never put me ouf of service.
I'm just talking about a tune no other modds !!!

Last edited by 727E63AMG; 10-13-2017 at 04:40 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:40 PM

2020 E63S
Originally Posted by 727E63AMG
BS ....wrong information !
The worrst penalties, fines and regulations are in cali for sure I know that for a fact and it affects the Commercial Trucking world the most. I own a trucking company and know it very well. Everything needs to be CARB certified ...all my Trucks and trailers are. The first thing I do to my trucks is tune them...more hp more tq which saves me money on fuel....I had plenty of level 1,2 and 3 inspections in Cali and they have never put me ouf of service.
I'm just talking about a tune no other modds !!!
I was talking about cars, not heavy duty trucks. There is no "smog check" for trucks, but one is in the works. See: https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/hdim/hdim.htm

The inspections you are probably speaking of are BIT inspections,etc. You are correct that they do not look for software tampering (as far as I know). When I was speaking of CHP, etc. looking for modifications, I referenced missing cats, etc., again, I was referring to cars, not big rigs. From ARB's webpage: "ARB staff provide a POST certified training course to support law enforcement and other agencies that enforce the California Vehicle Code" (for automobiles). "The goal of the training is to educate peace officers on the basics of emission control devices and common types of tampering, identifying illegal aftermarket performance parts, and directing a cited vehicle to the Smog Check referee for a more thorough inspection and final proof of correction."

Lastly, you stated your trucks are certified (I assume you mean compliant), which is great. I also want my car to be complaint! Hence my original post. You should be aware though, that installation of a "tune" may find you in violation of ARB's "tampering law". See California Vehicle Code 27156. https://www.arb.ca.gov/bluebook/bb02/VC/27156.htm Just trying to keep you compliant......oh, and my information is very correct.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:50 PM

2014 E63 S, 2017 GLE 43, 2020 Cadilac Escalade, 2019 Lamborghini Performante
I was talking about cars, not heavy duty trucks. There is no "smog check" for trucks, but one is in the works. See: https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/hdim/hdim.htm

The inspections you are probably speaking of are BIT inspections,etc. You are correct that they do not look for software tampering (as far as I know). When I was speaking of CHP, etc. looking for modifications, I referenced missing cats, etc., again, I was referring to cars, not big rigs. From ARB's webpage: "ARB staff provide a POST certified training course to support law enforcement and other agencies that enforce the California Vehicle Code" (for automobiles). "The goal of the training is to educate peace officers on the basics of emission control devices and common types of tampering, identifying illegal aftermarket performance parts, and directing a cited vehicle to the Smog Check referee for a more thorough inspection and final proof of correction."

Lastly, you stated your trucks are certified (I assume you mean compliant), which is great. I also want my car to be complaint! Hence my original post. You should be aware though, that installation of a "tune" may find you in violation of ARB's "tampering law". See California Vehicle Code 27156. https://www.arb.ca.gov/bluebook/bb02/VC/27156.htm Just trying to keep you compliant......oh, and my information is very correct.
It's not in a violation of any law trust me. This is how I put bread on my table I wouldn't be risking my Company and all the people involved in it. The tunes are legal and made by the dealers (Volvo,Freightliner etc..) keeps the factory warranty.
Yes the trucks are complient but I also have a certificate for each ARB unit that has to have the permit number on the unit itself...so its Certified..and your information is not correct a software update(tune) will not void it 😉
...and yes I know you are talking about cars but Commercial vehicles go trough a much stricter procedure and regulations compared to regular vechicles
Old 10-14-2017, 06:22 PM

2020 E63S
Originally Posted by 727E63AMG
It's not in a violation of any law trust me. This is how I put bread on my table I wouldn't be risking my Company and all the people involved in it. The tunes are legal and made by the dealers (Volvo,Freightliner etc..) keeps the factory warranty.
Yes the trucks are complient but I also have a certificate for each ARB unit that has to have the permit number on the unit itself...so its Certified..and your information is not correct a software update(tune) will not void it 😉
...and yes I know you are talking about cars but Commercial vehicles go trough a much stricter procedure and regulations compared to regular vechicles
Excellent. I thought you were referring to an aftermarket tune , not a dealer tune. Glad you are compliant! I also want to stay compliant......hence my original post about if anybody has experience with the ARB COMPLIANT tune from Weistec.. lol