Sponsored by:

Opinions on purchasing CPO E63 vs E63S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 12:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 E63 S AMG
Opinions on purchasing CPO E63 vs E63S

I'm looking at a few Certified '14/'15 E63's, both non S and S. What are the major differences and are there simple plug and play piggy back tunes for the non S that will boost power/torque past the S numbers? I'm moving from a 991.2 Carrera S which I've ran a 11.5@120 in stock so am looking for something as fast or faster; I need a bigger car due to having a child now ;-)
Also, are the piggy back tunes completely untraceable by a dealer once removed?
Thnaks!
Old 12-31-2017, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
The mechanical differences are a limited slip differential and additional cooling for the S model. Cosmetically, the S model comes standard with red brake calipers, embossed AMG symbols in the head rests and some badging in the instrument cluster and rear deck.

There are piggybacks available (Rebellion and Racechip) but I wouldn't say it is impossible for Mercedes to detect once off. There would be some circumstantial evidence in the logs showing that the car was operating outside stock parameters. However, that would take Mercedes actually looking for something and analyzing the data.
The following 2 users liked this post by TMC M5:
Boostaddict (01-01-2018), jvakos (12-31-2017)
Old 12-31-2017, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
I mean... There is a rear seat in the Carrera...

TMC nailed everything, though. The E may end up feeling faster than that Carrera because your mind is telling you that you're in a 2+ ton luxury sedan and it doesn't really make sense to your brain piece as to why something this big can move this quick especially coming from something that's similarly fast but a 2-door sports car. Not the quickest thing (or sedan for that matter) out there, but it is close and checks a lot of those fun boxes along with practical ones.

As for the tunes and detection -- MB can tell regardless of what people (businesses) tell you. It's just a matter of how hard they want to dig through data which is dependent on why they'd have to dig. You'll hear stories going both ways with warranties where people have been tuned, suffered a failure, and were still covered as well as people who were tuned, something went wrong, and were up a creek without a paddle. Personally, I would just be very clear and up front with the dealership on what you want / plan to do with the car and see what they say. My dealer knows I'm modified and have no issues with it. However, they have also been clear that if something goes very wrong they'll do their best to work with me, while providing MB necessary info that is requested from HQ. In other words, let's say my tranny lets go and I take it in... My dealer won't go out of their way and say "Hey, this tuned car blew a tranny" rather it'll be, "Need to warranty a tranny." Then it's a coin toss if MB asks "Can we get the data?" or "Okay, sounds good go ahead." Long story short, they wont throw me under the bus, but aren't going to take the hit for me, either. Bottom line, hide nothing.

Also: https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...2014-e63s.html

Cheers
The following 3 users liked this post by CarHopper:
Amg63- (01-02-2018), Boostaddict (01-01-2018), TMC M5 (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 11:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 E63 S AMG
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
I mean... There is a rear seat in the Carrera...

Also: https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...2014-e63s.html

Cheers
Your car is modded really nicely! Have you by chance taken it down the 1/4?
Old 01-02-2018, 02:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Here's a good place to start when considering tunes and warranty

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...tech-tune.html

Old 01-02-2018, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by Boostaddict

Your car is modded really nicely! Have you by chance taken it down the 1/4?
I have not. More than likely something like an 11.2 +/- .1. Not like I have anything crazy done, pretty standard stuff.