Sponsored by:

New E63s Owner - Introduction & Mod Planning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 04:39 PM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
E63S AMG
New E63s Owner - Introduction & Mod Planning

Hi everyone! I'm a former C63 owner and no stranger to the MBWorld forums. I sold my 2013 C63 a few weeks ago (for sale ad here: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...p31-sedan.html ) and bought a 2014 E63S from a dealership in Florida. It was delivered to me in Minnesota earlier this week. Below are a few pictures as well as the original window sticker.

As you will see from the C63 FS post, I am a "customizer" and like to tinker with my cars (much to the chagrin of my wife) and mod them to my liking.

For starters, the car is tinted, so step 1 is completed. I have ordered all new black badges from eBay and will be blacking them out as well as ALL of the chrome (badges, front bumper, rear bumper, window trim). Also, the KW H.A.S. kit and UPD Cold Air Induction Kit (linked below) will be installed next week:
http://www.kwsuspensions.com/product...-25325071.html
http://ultimatepd.com/2011-2015-merc...boost-kit.html

I have been browsing my performance options recently from companies like Weistec, AMS, Renntech, UPD, Pure, Eurocharged, etc. and trying to decide what direction I would like to go with my E63S. The way I see it, my options are:
  • True Turbo-Back Downpipes (Weistec, UPD or Custom)
  • Upgraded Turbos (Weistec W.3 or Pure Stage 2)
    • AMS Clutch Upgrade (only if upgrading turbos)
  • Weistec ASV / Water Methanol Injection System
  • Eurocharged Tune
I very well may end up just going with true DP's and a EC tune. Based on my conversations with Eurocharged, that should net me somewhere in the neighborhood of 650whp and 750-800wtq, but upgrading the turbos and adding ASV / water meth is certainly tempting. I would love to hear your thoughts/opinions on any/all of this

Lastly, wheels/tires... I will be keeping my eye on FS threads on MBWorld and will jump on something sooner or later. If you have non-OEM wheels/tires that you are looking to get rid of, let me know.

Looking forward to contributing to the W212 AMG forum.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 911 Likes on 641 Posts
E63S | X5
No point in "true dps" (which if I am understanding you correctly you intend on doing the ones you have to drop the motor for...)

If I did turbos I'd go with Pure, but I wouldn't do turbos on this car. TCU just limits the hell out of you from a dig anyway. If you do truly want the "true dps" do them and turbos at the same time.

I'm rocking just EC + Rado DPs and quite happy with the sound and power.

Nicely optioned car you found... has everything. -- only thing I'd add to that is go get 15+ OEM night package trim for the windows / doors. Or wrap that silver. But I just went to the dealer for the trim which was like $800-$850.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:15 PM

E63S AMG
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
No point in "true dps" (which if I am understanding you correctly you intend on doing the ones you have to drop the motor for...)
Curious why do you say no point? My reasoning for wanting true turbo-back downpipes is because I spoke with Eurocharged and they said that Rado, MBH and others that share the same design are actually just mid-pipes and don't add much power combined with tune. They continued that true DP's add some horsepower (maybe 30whp) but a substantial amount of torque (~100 ft/lbs) when combined with their "big torque tune" for the M157 motor.

If I did turbos I'd go with Pure, but I wouldn't do turbos on this car. TCU just limits the hell out of you from a dig anyway. If you do truly want the "true dps" do them and turbos at the same time.
I would probably go with Pure > Weistec W.3 turbos if I go that route. And yeah, I wouldn't want to have to pay for the labor to drop the motor more than once, so if I do upgrade the turbos it will be at the same time as the DP's. We mostly roll race around here anyways and I am not a "timeslip" kinda guy - I'd rather leave you in my rearview from a 40 roll.

I'm rocking just EC + Rado DPs and quite happy with the sound and power.
Honestly, I would probably be happy if I went this route too and it would surely be the best option for my wallet. But I can't get it out of my head that I am leaving 100 ft/lbs of torque on the table by not getting "true" downpipes.

Nicely optioned car you found... has everything. -- only thing I'd add to that is go get 15+ OEM night package trim for the windows / doors. Or wrap that silver. But I just went to the dealer for the trim which was like $800-$850.
Thanks man! I was going to have the trim vinyl wrapped black but maybe I will look into getting the OEM night package. I would rather do it right - thanks for that suggestion!

Last edited by kjkidd21; 03-19-2018 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
whats your goal for the car, is this extra power for consistent runway events or 1/4 mile events
Old 03-18-2018, 07:51 PM

E63S AMG
Originally Posted by vdubpower
whats your goal for the car, is this extra power for consistent runway events or 1/4 mile events
Good question. There are a few roll racing events each year at Brainerd International Raceway - so I will be participating in those. We also go to the drag strip a couple times each year and run the 1/4. And on top of that, I just want a fast car that can run with or is faster than most other fast cars (C63, E55, GTR, Z06, ZL1, 911, etc.) and is a fun weekend toy.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Maybe it is more urban legend than truth...but it seems like 90% of people who do turbo upgrades on the W212s tend to sell the car within 6 months. It may also be that people who mod cars tend to get Car-ADHD and move on to the next build. But I keep hearing person after person saying they wish in hindsight that they just would have stopped after tune and downpipes.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Imho, the only reason to do turbo back pipes is if you do turbos. I’m highly skeptical of any substantial gains over catless DPs on the stock bridge pipes with stock turbos. I have them and I don’t think my car makes any more power than just DP cars, certainly not 100 more tq (unless I don’t have their best tune which I thought I did).
Old 03-18-2018, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Last I checked, there are no big proven differences between "true dps" and the others. You're still removing the cats. Maybe on a big turbo setup you can see yourself leaving out 30awhp though unlikely but you're definitely not missing out on 100wtq.

Pretty sure these are all the part numbers you need for the OEM night package trim but you'll want to double check with parts if you do take these to them.

Front bottom left 2127250365, right 2127250465
Rear bottom left 2127350165, right 2127350265
Top left 2126901900, right 2126902000
Old 03-19-2018, 07:23 AM

E63S AMG
Originally Posted by TMC M5
Maybe it is more urban legend than truth...but it seems like 90% of people who do turbo upgrades on the W212s tend to sell the car within 6 months. It may also be that people who mod cars tend to get Car-ADHD and move on to the next build. But I keep hearing person after person saying they wish in hindsight that they just would have stopped after tune and downpipes.
Yeah, I was just laying out my options, but I'm leaning towards not upgrading the turbos. I plan on keeping the car for at least a few years either way.

Originally Posted by chiromikey
Imho, the only reason to do turbo back pipes is if you do turbos. I’m highly skeptical of any substantial gains over catless DPs on the stock bridge pipes with stock turbos. I have them and I don’t think my car makes any more power than just DP cars, certainly not 100 more tq (unless I don’t have their best tune which I thought I did).
Good info. I was told that the major "limiting element" was the pipe that comes right off the turbo and only the turbo-back DP's remove it. I need to do some more research.

Last I checked, there are no big proven differences between "true dps" and the others. You're still removing the cats. Maybe on a big turbo setup you can see yourself leaving out 30awhp though unlikely but you're definitely not missing out on 100wtq.

Pretty sure these are all the part numbers you need for the OEM night package trim but you'll want to double check with parts if you do take these to them.

I'm going to look into it a bit more and make sure I'm not spending more $ and dropping my motor for no reason. Now that a few people have spoken up, I am certainly skeptical.

Thanks for the info on the night package. I actually found those numbers last night and ordered all the pieces from OE discount parts for ~$600 shipped.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
^ Good deal. The new trim pieces should come with the snaps pre-installed. As long as they are then the install is easy. Just pop off the old, pop on the new. Trim tools help big time with this. I had a detail shop install mine while the car was getting ceramic coated and they said it took them no time at all, didn't even charge me.
The following users liked this post:
kjkidd21 (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 02:38 PM

E63S AMG

HEY HEADS UP to anyone who wants to order the AMG night package window trim for their E63S... MBPartsHQ.com ($618) is cheaper than OEParts.com ($674)
Old 03-20-2018, 12:57 AM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
E-Class
Holy crap, that is one heavily optioned E63, congrats on your purchase!