W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63

Turbo Back Downpipe Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2019 | 12:45 PM

2015 CLS63 S AMG
The Throttle Reset for 3 minutes is similar to the one for the 55K motors. Car off in position 2 (prior to cranking) Hold down the throttle for 10+ seconds to kick down then turn the key off and release your foot afterwards. Then wait 3 minutes, it wipes the cars learned throttle driving habits and reverts it back to start learning again. And I ended up using a modified ECE mount. Ahmad was there to help assist with the planning so, he brought some M156 mounts I believe, so we used the bottom of the 4matic mount and the top of the M156 mount since they are all modular. If you plan on doing this you should request the mounts that Bryan used on his E63 for his turbopipes. It costs just a little less and works with the Weistec Bracket. On the left is the one that I used, on the right is the previous mounts' parts.
The following users liked this post:
cocobeex (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019 | 12:59 PM

2015 CLS63 S AMG
Yea, I noticed that, everyone gets work done and then goes ghost on the forums or pages. That being said I wanted to let others know, these things are the real deal. Oh and finally, I was hanging with another AMG buddy and he had his scan tool. So we checked some of the telemetry. Literally, the car was running about 60* over ambient, so we immediately popped the hood and realized the IC reservoir was pretty much empty. I put in half a jug of water into it and it burped and came back to normal. With the driving. The god damn thing hurts you on launch, there's 0 lag from the turbos, it feels identical to stock as far as drivability but, with just a buttload more power. I'm impressed with the tune and scared at high speeds. I was liking the tune before but now with the little tweaks, it's making me fall in love with the car again. Its a highway missile and stop light racer as well. Hands down my favorite modification. Furthermore the MCT seems to have 0 hesitation before launching

Last edited by CerBErusM113; 08-07-2019 at 02:55 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by CerBErusM113:
cocobeex (08-07-2019), FastWgn (08-07-2019), sevse7en (08-27-2019), Siegmann (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019 | 01:18 PM

2016 E63 Wagon
Well done and thank you for taking one for the team (community) here. You always need the first one.
Then the rest of us may follow....
The following 3 users liked this post by FastWgn:
CerBErusM113 (08-08-2019), sevse7en (08-27-2019), Siegmann (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019 | 06:56 PM

2014 E550 4MATIC TUNED - Turbo Upgraded Stage 3
Originally Posted by CerBErusM113
The Throttle Reset for 3 minutes is similar to the one for the 55K motors. Car off in position 2 (prior to cranking) Hold down the throttle for 10+ seconds to kick down then turn the key off and release your foot afterwards. Then wait 3 minutes, it wipes the cars learned throttle driving habits and reverts it back to start learning again. And I ended up using a modified ECE mount. Ahmad was there to help assist with the planning so, he brought some M156 mounts I believe, so we used the bottom of the 4matic mount and the top of the M156 mount since they are all modular. If you plan on doing this you should request the mounts that Bryan used on his E63 for his turbopipes. It costs just a little less and works with the Weistec Bracket. On the left is the one that I used, on the right is the previous mounts' parts.
This is awesome!!! i will try that

I always just reset transmisstion adaptation (Under VGS) by using xentry (MB Star system). 1 click.
after reset, i always hear some mechanical sound coming from engine bay, and it shift so snappy after this reset too.
But i have not done any throttle reset. I will try to find this option in Xentry.

So, i guess 3 mins reset also resets throttle position ?

Last edited by cocobeex; 08-07-2019 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-08-2019 | 10:19 AM

2015 CLS63 S AMG
I wouldn't necessarily say I'm taking one for the team but, I really did want to do a before and after review. I really wanted to get before and afters on the dyno too as so many like to claim the gains are placebo because there isn't dyno proof. Also, talking to Ahmad I was hoping to get some before and after timing for stock engine mounts vs. his ECE mounts but, failed on that since mine took such a terrible turn that it was basically undrivable at more than 30% throttle. As stated, I just hope there's some more people willing to go this route, maybe tuners will start making parts for this car again. Oh I mentioned it on my FB Post but, I actually spoke to Ahmad and he said a M157 4matic transmission mount is could be in the future but he's working on other projects so we'll just have to be patient.
Old 08-12-2019 | 11:01 PM

CLS 550 4matic W218
I wouldn't necessarily say I'm taking one for the team but, I really did want to do a before and after review. I really wanted to get before and afters on the dyno too as so many like to claim the gains are placebo because there isn't dyno proof. Also, talking to Ahmad I was hoping to get some before and after timing for stock engine mounts vs. his ECE mounts but, failed on that since mine took such a terrible turn that it was basically undrivable at more than 30% throttle. As stated, I just hope there's some more people willing to go this route, maybe tuners will start making parts for this car again. Oh I mentioned it on my FB Post but, I actually spoke to Ahmad and he said a M157 4matic transmission mount is could be in the future but he's working on other projects so we'll just have to be patient.
Thank you for the post. I have the m278 4matic and I’m currently looking into downpipes. I’m currently with a stage 2 renntech tune. However I am looking into the Weistec turbo back down pipes. Overall I’m debating if it’s worth the extra cost to drop the motor but I know the power will be there once the tune is dialed in.
Plan options are:
1. Weistec turbo back downpipe + FI exhaust axle back with Weistec tune
or
2. FI full exhaust downpipe cat delete back + Weistec tune

thoughts? I want sound, gains, and respectable power
Old 08-13-2019 | 12:09 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
Originally Posted by Raptorpower700
Thank you for the post. I have the m278 4matic and I’m currently looking into downpipes. I’m currently with a stage 2 renntech tune. However I am looking into the Weistec turbo back down pipes. Overall I’m debating if it’s worth the extra cost to drop the motor but I know the power will be there once the tune is dialed in.
Plan options are:
or

FI stuff is garbage, they are a marketing company pretending to be an exhaust company. Weistec anything is going to be good, for many years we supplied the headers to Weistec. If you are not looking to drop the motor, our downpipes will install in about 30 min and help you gain a bunch of power. When it comes to quality there is nothing on the market built better than our downpipes. We use 16 gauge 304 stainless and as always its made inthe USA.
Old 08-13-2019 | 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Raptorpower700
Plan options are:
or

What kinda power are you looking to gain ? DP will gain power, but not whole lot.
I have been there and done that on M278.
The sound is very aggressive.
I had to put my muffler and resonator back on, because my wife was scared by the sound of it.

Originally Posted by MBH motorsports
FI stuff is garbage, they are a marketing company pretending to be an exhaust company. Weistec anything is going to be good, for many years we supplied the headers to Weistec. If you are not looking to drop the motor, our downpipes will install in about 30 min and help you gain a bunch of power. When it comes to quality there is nothing on the market built better than our downpipes. We use 16 gauge 304 stainless and as always its made inthe USA.
Why is FI stuff garbage ? As i know, FI only focus on sound.
I had a thought, to swap out Weistec DP to FI. Glad i saw your commend about FI. But i want to know why it is garbage.

Last edited by cocobeex; 08-13-2019 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-13-2019 | 12:46 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by cocobeex
What kinda power are you looking to gain ? DP will gain power, but not whole lot.

I had a thought, to swap out Weistec DP to FI. Glad i saw your commend about FI. But i want to know why it is garbage.
Here is just one example of their work. Its cheaply made, Obviously not built well. They have fancy videos, and cool flashy marketing, but when it comes to making a good product, they fall short. When you compare their work to really reputable fabrication shops for high end cars, FI's stuff cant even compare. Im not the only one who share this too, A bunch of other install shop out there do not hold FI in high regard. Here are some BMW pics and an Audi picture. FI pretty much told them both to kick rocks.

Last edited by MBH motorsports; 08-13-2019 at 12:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MBH motorsports:
CerBErusM113 (08-13-2019), cocobeex (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019 | 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by MBH motorsports
Here is just one example of their work. Its cheaply made, Obviously not built well. They have fancy videos, and cool flashy marketing, but when it comes to making a good product, they fall short. When you compare their work to really reputable fabrication shops for high end cars, FI's stuff cant even compare. Im not the only one who share this too, A bunch of other install shop out there do not hold FI in high regard. Here are some BMW pics and an Audi picture. FI pretty much told them both to kick rocks.

WOW thats shocking!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2019 | 01:13 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

WOW thats shocking!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Right!
No shop is perfect, We have laid a few eggs in our time, but never had any of our parts crack or fail. We also have a lifetime on everything except cats. Rather than FI's 1 year joke warranty. At the end of the day, it's up to you to decide what parts you want to buy, but you can do a lot better when it comes to quality, and customer service than FI.
Old 08-13-2019 | 09:48 AM

CLS 550 4matic W218
The sound is very aggressive.
I had to put my muffler and resonator back on, because my wife was scared by the sound of it.

What kind of HP am I looking to gain? Well that’s exactly why I’m not sure which route to go.
if installing turbo back Weistec pipes will yield significantly better performance at the cost of dropping the engine then I would consider this route.

if just installing cat delete downpipes will be within the same range then I would rather save the money on labor and do the quick install.

Honestly im shocked and in a way I find it hard to believe that FI exhaust is poorly made! Definitely have to consider all my options out there!

has anyone done a direct comparison with cat delete downpipes and true turbo back catless on m278 or m157?
Old 08-13-2019 | 01:14 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E55 C63
This thread really makes my scratch my head, Anyone who claims you do not need the bridge pipes obviously hasnt seen the stock ones. $1700 for downpipes without bridge pipes is

Grab yourself of Downpipes with Bridges, Ours are $1300, but you can shop around and may be able to find a slighly lower price. We have installed them on both 278 and 157 AWD and RWD, For AWD you will need the weistec motor mounts. (we are still working on ours)

Ive searched for those images on google reverse image search and cannot find anything relating to FI failures linked to those images or independent accounts of FI failures. Regardless, FI does not make our downpipes, however we havent had any issues at all with their products in the past.

They are Cast Turbine Flanges with 3" Stainless tubing with 2 O2 sensor ports and V band Clamps. the front section (Bridge Pipes) are Ceramic coated

Feel free to checkout our website or, follow this link to the downpipes specifically.

https://www.vrpspeed.com/product/blcgedps/

We also have a huge selection of other products and tunes for your vehicle. But yeah, Get bridge pipes, You will make more power.
Old 08-13-2019 | 02:20 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by VictoryRoadPerformance
This thread really makes my scratch my head, Anyone who claims you do not need the bridge pipes obviously hasnt seen the stock ones. $1700 for downpipes without bridge pipes is

Grab yourself of Downpipes with Bridges, Ours are $1300, but you can shop around and may be able to find a slighly lower price. We have installed them on both 278 and 157 AWD and RWD, For AWD you will need the weistec motor mounts. (we are still working on ours)

Ive searched for those images on google reverse image search and cannot find anything relating to FI failures linked to those images or independent accounts of FI failures. Regardless, FI does not make our downpipes, however we havent had any issues at all with their products in the past.

They are Cast Turbine Flanges with 3" Stainless tubing with 2 O2 sensor ports and V band Clamps. the front section (Bridge Pipes) are Ceramic coated

Feel free to checkout our website or, follow this link to the downpipes specifically.

https://www.vrpspeed.com/product/blcgedps/

We also have a huge selection of other products and tunes for your vehicle. But yeah, Get bridge pipes, You will make more power.
Lets be clear Phil, what do you know about exhaust? Have you done any dyno testing on downpipes with or without the bridge pipe? if so where are the charts? Or are you just relying on stuff you read on the internet? What do you know about high end exhaust fabrication and the costs associated with that? NOTHING. Your company sells knock off Westiec downpipes, knock off ARH headers and knock off MBH headers. In my eyes part of your business is on the same level as a guy selling watches on a street corner on NY, or someone selling knock off hand bags. If you want to question my understanding of exhaust stuff and how things are made good or made like garbage, consider this. I've been building, making and selling exhaust parts for Mercedes before you were even in High School. So spare me your BS about costs.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1518139
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...Exhaust-System
Old 08-13-2019 | 02:45 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E55 C63
Glad you shared the Links to the Threads associated with those failed products. as you mentioned all companies have their bad eggs, It looks like generally there are very few issues with their products across all platforms.

Im not here to argue with the forum accountant. Noone came in here to attack you, Go back to whatever you were doing before your lid popped off, let the adults have an informed conversation

@Raptorpower700 shoot me an email, I will send the downpipes with bridges to you for $1150, but you will need the weistec upper mount

FYI Weistec Advertises their Midpipe only setup at 180hp with tune, and market their bridge pipe setup at 210hp with tune. https://www.weistec.com/m157-downpip...t-e63-awd.html
Old 08-13-2019 | 02:48 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Glad you shared the Links to the Threads associated with those failed products. as you mentioned all companies have their bad eggs, It looks like generally there are very few issues with their products across all platforms.

Im not here to argue with the forum accountant. Noone came in here to attack you, Go back to whatever you were doing before your lid popped off, let the adults have an informed conversation

@Raptorpower700 shoot me an email, I will send the downpipes with bridges to you for $1150, but you will need the weistec upper mount

FYI Weistec Advertises their Midpipe only setup at 180hp with tune, and market their bridge pipe setup at 210hp with tune. https://www.weistec.com/m157-downpip...t-e63-awd.html
LOL you just did exactly what I said you do. Sell knock off Weistec downpipes and use Weistec's power gains too help boost your sales. In this case your downpipes rely on someone buying Weistec parts for yours to even work! LOL.
Old 08-13-2019 | 08:46 PM

I would compare stock pipe tune vs down pipe tune.

Stock pipe tune gain, 111 hp, 272 tq
https://www.weistec.com/m278-ecu-tune.html

Down pipe tune gain, 151 hp,297 tq
https://www.weistec.com/m278-downpip...-e550-awd.html

So, downpipe gain is 40hp, 25tq at crank from stock pipe tune

Last edited by cocobeex; 08-13-2019 at 08:48 PM.
VictoryRoadPerformance (08-14-2019)
Old 08-13-2019 | 09:37 PM

2008 c300
anybody try O2 spacers or mini-cats to keep the CEL at bay and emissions readiness codes prepped for testing?
Old 08-13-2019 | 09:57 PM

CLS 550 4matic W218
I would compare stock pipe tune vs down pipe tune.

Stock pipe tune gain, 111 hp, 272 tq
https://www.weistec.com/m278-ecu-tune.html

Down pipe tune gain, 151 hp,297 tq
https://www.weistec.com/m278-downpip...-e550-awd.html

So, downpipe gain is 40hp, 25tq at crank from stock pipe tune

Hey guys let’s not get heated.. this is should be about our passion for awesome builds! Even though I haven’t decided ultimately which route I will go. I still plan on posting my updates. Thanks for all the input and props on your build coco, this thread is awesome.

right now I have Renntech stage 2 with res deletes, filters, diverter valve

i plan on throwing it on the dyno before any other mods are done. I just want to keep surprising people when they see this big body 4 door Benz speeding away!

The following 2 users liked this post by Raptorpower700:
AB550 (08-28-2019), sevse7en (08-27-2019)
Old 08-13-2019 | 10:22 PM

M3, E55, cls63
Originally Posted by c3004wife
anybody try O2 spacers or mini-cats to keep the CEL at bay and emissions readiness codes prepped for testing?
Yup I have o2 spacers and heat wrapped the o2 sensors no CEL passed emission without an issue... you will just get 1 not ready code for o2 sensors which is enough to pass in most states.
Old 08-13-2019 | 10:31 PM

2008 c300
Originally Posted by try m3
Yup I have o2 spacers and heat wrapped the o2 sensors no CEL passed emission without an issue... you will just get 1 not ready code for o2 sensors which is enough to pass in most states.
that's promising. Is the lack of CEL from the spacers or did you get it tuned out?
Old 08-13-2019 | 11:15 PM

M3, E55, cls63
Originally Posted by c3004wife
that's promising. Is the lack of CEL from the spacers or did you get it tuned out?
Originally I had the secondary o2’s turned off and car wouldn’t pass emission because you will get 2 monitors not ready o2 sensors, and o2 sensor heating circuit. So I had them turned back on added the spacers and heat wrapped them. You may get a CEL after 40-50miles but it will give you enough time to pass smog/emissions.
Old 08-27-2019 | 09:02 PM

W218 - CLS550 4MATIC
Good Evening gentlemen! So I got my car back from my shop on Friday and have a few impressions of the mods and some observations as well.

1. I'm curious, to the ones who believe the stock bridge pipe somehow flows as much air as a 3" turbopipe or makes as much power, what exactly are you smoking? Or injecting?

2. To what extent of denial are you in that you can't just admit that "Yes, this is expensive, I cannot afford it" but instead post ridiculous assumptions and ignoring general physics about how nearly every F/I car operates?

3. I apologize to those who have spent upwards of $1500 on 3" cat delete pipes that make your car increase sound but don't let it compete with the competition when they delete their cats. And generally sorry for being a dick but, let's be real, I've heard over and over again that these pipes aren't worth the time and it tends to bug me that some people seem to have already given up on this platform. This motor is still in a few AMGs and it is phenomenal and IMO has the rudest and most overpowering exhaust note when modified.

Now onto the good. When I drove the vehicle originally in Baltimore it had horrendous lag and the transmission felt a little unsure of itself in slow driving. I would rather have to kick it down or really step into the throttle to get it to move, after driving back to VA around 60 miles on the highway it started to drive smoother. The next day was better after a throttle reset for 3 minutes. The car's MCT felt like a Torque converter in a lot of stop and go traffic. I was hopeful but still had that lag which I attributed to tuning.

The power on the other hand was definitely more substantial as well as the noise, the car sounds like a w204 C63 with cat deletes. It wasn't scary up top but it has been 90+ degrees here. Come around 2 today when my tuner sent me my tune, I work with Eurocharged Jerry has been very good to me I've gotten multiple tunes from him over the years. (But not here to compare tuners) I loaded the tune via a MyGenius and drove in slight rush hour home from my office in 94° temps. The change in throttle response, immediate boost and even downshifts is abrupt. I noticed I floored it from a right turn and felt the tires break traction immediately shifting to 2nd. The change in lower speed driving is about as different going from stock to a stage 1 or 2 tune it just feels so much more athletic and willing to Rev, it has a very M156 feel but with punishing Torque. At less than 50% pedal movement, it had about the same thrust as when it was stage 2 tuned and catless but in 90° temps. I even found myself backing off the throttle more than usual. The power feels effortless, to the point that rest on the throttle keeps up with traffic and you can feel the car building boost and starting to thrust forward. And the MCT seemed to decrease that hesitation, but that could be the tune more than the pipes. That being said so far I only had one time to really step on it through 3rd. I have a spot before my neighborhood that I usually can go WOT and I found myself about 10mph faster than previously with room to spare, it actually shifted into 3rd and pulled a little before I had to let off. I have yet to get a highway pull since I just loaded this 2 hours ago. So I will continue to update but honestly, I haven't seen many members talk about their mods other than deleting cats so I wanted to give more input on this option. While it was expensive, it definitely has been my favorite mod I've done by far. Hope this helps some make a informed choice in the future

This post was everything we needed to know. Thanks @CerBErusM113
CerBErusM113 (08-27-2019)
Old 08-28-2019 | 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

one car at a time
Great thread so far, but can you please post some data 0 - 60 or 1/4 mile ?
Old 04-22-2021 | 02:31 PM

S63 COUPE M157
Guys, I am actually doing turbo back (bridge) downpipes right now on my S63 Coupe. Ordered from
a German company called HMS Tuning (they supply these bridges to GAD motors, too).

I already have a RENNtech stage 2 ecu tune (699BHP/1050NM) and a full exhaust including downpipes with 200 cel cats.

Can’t wait for power gains with bridges.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo Back Downpipe Install