Sponsored by:

Shopping used E63s, Canadian cars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E90 M3
Shopping used E63s, Canadian cars?

Ive been shopping for E63 estates for about a month now and Ive came across 4 different E63s and when looking at their Carfax, all of them are out of Ontario. Im even looking into RS7s and a few others and same thing. Carfax is now reporting in areas of Canada, but whats with all these high end cars being imported from Canada? Is it because their cars are worth less at auction than in the states? Im more so worried about the quality of the cars and being the Carfax just started reporting, how accurate it really is. Has anyone else noticed this tread? Would that stop you from buying it, even after passiing a PPI?
Old 01-21-2019, 11:24 AM

2016 E63 Wagon
Two words: Exchange rate
If you look at autotrader.ca, largest used car classified in Canada, Most used E63 have similar dollar value in Canada vs the US, and the exchange rate today 1 USD = 1.32 CAD

Keep in mind that Ontario uses LOTS and LOTS of salt, pay attention to common rust spots. Alberta uses lots of sand/grit, so careful of the paint. Sask and Manitoba are just in general, very cold. BC tend to be the preferred location as climate tends to be alot milder compared to the other provinces.

Happy hunting!
Old 01-21-2019, 01:47 PM

2011 E90 M3
Originally Posted by Vaccinate
Two words: Exchange rate
If you look at autotrader.ca, largest used car classified in Canada, Most used E63 have similar dollar value in Canada vs the US, and the exchange rate today 1 USD = 1.32 CAD

Keep in mind that Ontario uses LOTS and LOTS of salt, pay attention to common rust spots. Alberta uses lots of sand/grit, so careful of the paint. Sask and Manitoba are just in general, very cold. BC tend to be the preferred location as climate tends to be alot milder compared to the other provinces.

Happy hunting!
Thank you! Im sure with these newer cars rust shouldnt be AS an issue as it was before but it'll certainly be something to look at. I wasn't thinking about the exchange rate but seeing a high influx of Canadian cars in the used market of a lot of car brands had my interest as to why.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:06 PM

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts
S 63 Coupe, GLS 63
Rust IS an issue.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:33 AM

2011 E90 M3
Originally Posted by TECHNICIAN
Rust IS an issue.
I also said, AS an issue, meaning of course it is something to look for but we are talking 3-4 yr old cars. If a $120k car is rusting in that time frame, its junk anyway. I have a 2001 740i that spent its entire life in Long Island and theres zero rust anywhere other than some bolt heads on the suspension. Id sure hope nothing would be rusting on a newer car. When I say nothing, surface rust on suspension parts is expected, but if sheet metal is, Id consider a different car completely regardless of where its from. That being said, ID request a thorough PPI to evaluate it, as it is something I want looked into.