W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ice box in trunk for cooling ? Need advice...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 12:29 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 E63 S, 2017 GLE 43, 2020 Cadilac Escalade, 2019 Lamborghini Performante
Ice box in trunk for cooling ? Need advice...

I have catless dp's ,mid pipes and pure turbo stg2
Thinking of installing an ice box in the trunk to help with cooling. I have the split system in my car and figured I can loop the factory setup for just the motor cooling purpose and use the factory intercooler to push some ice cold water trough the system for better iat's. Has anybody done it and if so do u have any advice? I really need to get this done asap since I want to attend tx2k 💪
Thx for ur help
Old 02-05-2019, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
More capacity is always a good thing and it will help but you’d need at least a 5gal tank to see performance gains, especially roll racing that goes beyond the 1/4mile. Anything smaller and your ice would be gone before you even got the green light. I used to run a 2.5gal tank and the ice didn’t last through the burnout.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:41 AM

Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 E63 AMG wagon
Originally Posted by 727E63AMG
I have catless dp's ,mid pipes and pure turbo stg2
Thinking of installing an ice box in the trunk to help with cooling. I have the split system in my car and figured I can loop the factory setup for just the motor cooling purpose and use the factory intercooler to push some ice cold water trough the system for better iat's. Has anybody done it and if so do u have any advice? I really need to get this done asap since I want to attend tx2k 💪
Thx for ur help
I have heard a "Killer Chiller" setup is supposed to be cool ;-) However a bit more complex than the Ice Box, speaking of can you use dry ice in those setups? Would that last longer?

Killer Chiller
Old 02-05-2019, 03:03 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 E63 S, 2017 GLE 43, 2020 Cadilac Escalade, 2019 Lamborghini Performante
QUOTE=chiromikey;7673034]
More capacity is always a good thing and it will help but you’d need at least a 5gal tank to see performance gains, especially roll racing that goes beyond the 1/4mile. Anything smaller and your ice would be gone before you even got the green light. I used to run a 2.5gal tank and the ice didn’t last through the burnout.
[/QUOTE]
So did you have it installed on the m157 platform or a different car? The only thing that Im worried about is what Tasos Mochatos (youtube) is talking about the water to air intercooler on the m157...he says it starts leaking with higher boost..he had 4-5 of them leak on tuned cars....that makes me thing of the GAD motors set up..the double intercollers on top of the engine...but they alsonseam to be going into the stock intercooler....

Originally Posted by Savage212
I have heard a "Killer Chiller" setup is supposed to be cool ;-) However a bit more complex than the Ice Box, speaking of can you use dry ice in those setups? Would that last longer?

Killer Chiller
I heard about it as well and talked to a guy that I believe is also a member here on the forum his youtube name is
Stumptownbenz and he explained how at WOT the ac gets shut off....I guess the ac clutch disengages...and thats in all modern Mercedes cars which I didnt know...so the killer chiler would be an awesome mod but from what he is saying you would have to have an ice box with it and that would be the perfect combination.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:25 PM

2014 E63 AMG wagon
Originally Posted by 727E63AMG
QUOTE=chiromikey;7673034]
So did you have it installed on the m157 platform or a different car? The only thing that Im worried about is what Tasos Mochatos (youtube) is talking about the water to air intercooler on the m157...he says it starts leaking with higher boost..he had 4-5 of them leak on tuned cars....that makes me thing of the GAD motors set up..the double intercollers on top of the engine...but they alsonseam to be going into the stock intercooler....

I heard about it as well and talked to a guy that I believe is also a member here on the forum his youtube name is
Stumptownbenz and he explained how at WOT the ac gets shut off....I guess the ac clutch disengages...and thats in all modern Mercedes cars which I didnt know...so the killer chiler would be an awesome mod but from what he is saying you would have to have an ice box with it and that would be the perfect combination.[/QUOTE]

Yes, most modern AC setups do disengage the compressor at wot. With a chilled cooling loop it would likely stay cooler for the duration of a 1/4 or 1/2 mile than at ambient temperatures. Truly a ice box combination would indeed be killer.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:20 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Stumptownbenz and he explained how at WOT the ac gets shut off....I guess the ac clutch disengages...and thats in all modern Mercedes cars which I didnt know...so the killer chiler would be an awesome mod but from what he is saying you would have to have an ice box with it and that would be the perfect combination.
Yes, most modern AC setups do disengage the compressor at wot. With a chilled cooling loop it would likely stay cooler for the duration of a 1/4 or 1/2 mile than at ambient temperatures. Truly a ice box combination would indeed be killer.[/QUOTE]

I have a 5 gallon icebox on my car with killerchiller ..
Old 02-06-2019, 08:34 AM

2014 E63 AMG wagon
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by b0kix
Yes, most modern AC setups do disengage the compressor at wot. With a chilled cooling loop it would likely stay cooler for the duration of a 1/4 or 1/2 mile than at ambient temperatures. Truly a ice box combination would indeed be killer.
I have a 5 gallon icebox on my car with killerchiller ..[/QUOTE]

Any pictures or details on this? Sounds like a perfect setup!
Old 02-06-2019, 09:39 AM

2014 E63 AMG wagon
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by b0kix
I have a 5 gallon icebox on my car with killerchiller ..[/QUOTE]

Any pictures or details on this? Sounds like a perfect setup!
Old 02-06-2019, 10:08 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I have a 5 gallon icebox on my car with killerchiller ..
Any pictures or details on this? Sounds like a perfect setup![/QUOTE]

yes i will post some tomw.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:01 PM
e65

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
2014 E63 S model

When you're in the staging Lane and it's almost your turn, stuff as many ice cubes as you can into this. Do not open the cap while the car is off or it can suck air into the system.