W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63

Datalog | Ever wonder how efficient our water intercooler is?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2019 | 10:45 PM

AMG
Datalog | Ever wonder how efficient our water intercooler is?

Hey guys, so im writing up my review for my new tune and also got a bunch of datalogs to share and sort.
In the meantime i thought it would be nice to show some datalogs of Intake Air temperaure aka IAT's on our cars. Which i havent seen anyone really show clearly anywhere on the forum.

I have the exact date written down somewhere, but as most of us know in 2013, AMG went to a full divorced intercooler plumbing.. Meaning nothing was shared with the engine water cooling as in previous versions of the M157 where it was the cooling circuits were shared.. The intercooler now had its own recovery tank, pump, heat exchanger etc. , separated.
As my car is a 2014, this is of course relevant to the newer system.

AMG claims that if the IAT rise above 113F, the electric coolant pump will turn on, and when the IAT's drop below 104F, the pump switches off. They claim their system keeps IAT's below 158F always.
These claims are not for the newer system as mentioned above but were written for the earlier model M157. Wether or not these targets have changed, i have not checked yet at this time.
On top of that, a few tuners also are altering these targets, and turning the pump on sooner.
its just some information to have to start with.

Anyways, on to the good stuff.

I have attached 3 pictures below..
This log was of me in local NYC roads on a 70F day, and then doing a Full throttle 3rd gear datalog, from around 2500K RPM to redline... So a full 3rd gear run, loading up the engine and turbos from low rpm, thru the entire rev range.

First picture is showing where the IAT's where before the full throttle run:
102F

Here are the temps peak right after i let off the throttle at the end of the run:
136F

And here is me coming to a slow complete stop just seconds after the run:
109F

Pretty impressed with the results! Our intercooler water system recovery speed is very impressive! Even more so that this is on a car that is running 5 PSI more boost then a normal M157 from the factory they designed this for.

IAT's started off at 102, rose to 136 at the end of the run, but came back down VERY quickly almost back to the starting point, down to 109. That is with me coming to a stop aswell, not cruising after the run.

That's a 34F rise in an entire gear, so the suppression of IAT isnt the best, but its in the normal range of good i think, esp for on a tuned engine.

So Great IAT recovery, good suppression, and not very fond of the oem targets AMG set for the IAT hanging around 100F+ all the time.

Hope you guys enjoyed, and i will be getting more datalogs of my car and a few members cars out soon here on the forum.

Last edited by 5soko; 10-18-2019 at 11:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Siegmann (06-16-2019)
Old 06-17-2019 | 12:42 AM

2014 E63 S, 2017 GLE 43, 2020 Cadilac Escalade, 2019 Lamborghini Performante
Originally Posted by 5soko
Hey guys, so im writing up my review for my new tune and also got a bunch of datalogs to share and sort.
In the meantime i thought it would be nice to show some datalogs of Intake Air temperaure aka IAT's on our cars. Which i havent seen anyone really show clearly anywhere on the forum.

I have the exact date written down somewhere, but as most of us know in 2013, AMG went to a full divorced intercooler plumbing.. Meaning nothing was shared with the engine water cooling as in previous versions of the M157 where it was the cooling circuits were shared.. The intercooler now had its own recovery tank, pump, heat exchanger etc. , separated.
As my car is a 2014, this is of course relevant to the newer system.

AMG claims that if the IAT rise above 113F, the electric coolant pump will turn on, and when the IAT's drop below 104F, the pump switches off. They claim their system keeps IAT's below 158F always.
These claims are not for the newer system as mentioned above but were written for the earlier model M157. Wether or not these targets have changed, i have not checked yet at this time.
On top of that, a few tuners also are altering these targets, and turning the pump on sooner.
its just some information to have to start with.

Anyways, on to the good stuff.

I have attached 3 pictures below..
This log was of me in local NYC roads on a 70F day, and then doing a Full throttle 3rd gear datalog, from around 2500K RPM to redline... So a full 3rd gear run, loading up the engine and turbos from low rpm, thru the entire rev range.

First picture is showing where the IAT's where before the full throttle run:
102F

Here are the temps peak right after i let off the throttle at the end of the run:
136F

And here is me coming to a slow complete stop just seconds after the run:
109F

Pretty impressed with the results! Our intercooler water system recovery speed is very impressive! Even more so that this is on a car that is running 5 PSI more boost then a normal M157 from the factory they designed this for.

IAT's started off at 102, rose to 136 at the end of the run, but came back down VERY quickly almost back to the starting point, down to 109. That is with me coming to a stop aswell.

Hope you guys enjoyed, and i will be getting more datalogs of my car and a few members cars out soon here on the forum and virtual ones aswell, so everyone can check and play with them on a hosted website
That sounds about right. From what I heard and researched our ecu starts retarding Ignition timing just around 120 deg. or so...best way to bypass it is to add a tank in the trunk (ice tank) which will have the pump on as soon as you turn the car on..which keeps the temp near ambient and while full throttle under 120deg. 😁 Thats what I have in my car however, Im gonna be upgrading to a setup similar to Gads top mounted water to air intercoolers which bypass our stock intercooler and from what I heard from Vasilly and some other people that are running some of the fastest E63s out there this will cut between .3 -.5 seconds in the quarter mile...which is best bang for buck honestly
Old 06-18-2019 | 06:52 PM

AMG
Originally Posted by 727E63AMG
That sounds about right. From what I heard and researched our ecu starts retarding Ignition timing just around 120 deg. or so...best way to bypass it is to add a tank in the trunk (ice tank) which will have the pump on as soon as you turn the car on..which keeps the temp near ambient and while full throttle under 120deg. 😁 Thats what I have in my car however, Im gonna be upgrading to a setup similar to Gads top mounted water to air intercoolers which bypass our stock intercooler and from what I heard from Vasilly and some other people that are running some of the fastest E63s out there this will cut between .3 -.5 seconds in the quarter mile...which is best bang for buck honestly
Yes, even though this oem intercooler recovers quickly, it doesnt do the best of jobs at suppressing high IAT's, meth or those top mounts i could def see sustain low IAT's and saving that lost power!
Old 06-18-2019 | 07:28 PM
e65

2014 E63 S model

Meth injection. Standing start to almost 160mph. 25 psi boost on 71mm turbos.

Last edited by e65; 06-18-2019 at 07:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by e65:
Savage212 (06-18-2019), Siegmann (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019 | 07:58 PM

AMG
Originally Posted by e65

Meth injection. Standing start to almost 160mph. 25 psi boost on 71mm turbos.
Beauty of meth! More HP tuners VCM users! Excellent stuff
Old 06-19-2019 | 08:18 AM

2014 E63 AMG wagon
I have been eyeing the VCM suite for a while!
Old 06-19-2019 | 02:32 PM

'17 GLS 63 AMG, '08 S65 AMG
I just bought the MPVI Pro -> V2 upgrade ($189 or so on the HPT site) and will be shipping my old unit back to them today so as to be able to start capturing logs from my '14 E63s wagon. Will also report back with logging findings.
The following users liked this post:
Siegmann (06-19-2019)
Old 06-20-2019 | 09:49 AM

ML63
Are these intercooler systems known to lose coolant? It seems Im adding fluid every few weeks to months.