Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carbon ceramic brake question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carbon ceramic brake question

I saw a 2016 e63s wagon for sale with all options including the carbon ceramic brake which I don't need or want. For street use, how long do the rotors last? Are they easily damage? Is it possible to replace with steel rotors?
Old 07-08-2019, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by PC69
I saw a 2016 e63s wagon for sale with all options including the carbon ceramic brake which I don't need or want. For street use, how long do the rotors last? Are they easily damage? Is it possible to replace with steel rotors?
Who in their right mind would pick steels over CCB's? CCB's come at a bargain price on a used car. On normal use, rotors last up to 100k miles. 60k miles is normal. Zero brake dust, which alone makes them worthwhile.
Just make sure the pads don't run down.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E63s Wagon
I picked up an E63 sedan with CCB's while looking for a wagon. I didn't want the CCB's due to my feared affect on resale value or maintenance if I kept the car past 60K miles. I do believe the cost of CCB's will kill resale on these cars as they head north of 50K miles and the end of the rotor service life starts to figure more and more into a buyer's concerns and thus vehicle value. The squeaky nature of can be a little off putting as well.

That said, I traded the sedan after only a few months when I found a nice, low mile wagon and by default went back to steel brakes and dirty wheels.

If the car has everything else you want, get it. If you don't like the CCB's, they won't be hard to get rid of if the car has low miles. My guess is you'll fall in love with the stopping power, the look of the gold calipers and black rotors and the lack of brake dust. If you don't, PM me....I miss those traits and might consider a partial trade deal for my steel setup! I'd have been better off never having had CCB's because I'd go back to CCB's in a heartbeat and deal with the $ fallout later. The other benefit to the gold calipers is that the red caliper clear coat has a tendency to fail. Some have luck with replacing under warranty, some don't.

I've yet to try the ceramic, low dust pads so that may help my cleanliness OCD.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:42 PM

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
E90 M3
Like Wolfman said they're great and you shouldn't worry. Get them inspected and measured before you buy and will likely show little wear. Replace the pads at 50% to be safe and they will last well over 100k miles. Mine were over 90-95% when I sold the car around 30k miles including track time.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:50 AM

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
2016 E63 Wagon
Search is your friend.........
Old 07-10-2019, 12:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Mercedes E63 AMG
CCB is better if you got the $$$.....I just picked up a used E63 amg with CCB from a benz dealership about three months ago......my first CCB and loves it.....no dirty wheels and massive stopping power......
I have about 40K on the car and check CCB with local dealership and told it still have at least 80% life on rotor and pads were recently replaced late last year from dealership.....
I guess the car was mostly freeway mileages since my CCB rotor still have 80% life.....
Old 07-10-2019, 07:21 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
2016 E63s Wagon - CCB & CF package
Originally Posted by PC69
I think I know who’s wagon it is 😁. And I can tell you that pads are brand spanking new (i have receipts and even the box)

Give me a buzz if you are still interested.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:18 PM

Received 138 Likes on 99 Posts
m157 SL63
I think the main question is when the rotors need replaced, can they be replaced with steel or do you have to stay with the expensive CCB replacement? You may as well keep the CCB while they're in good shape.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by billvp218
I think the main question is when the rotors need replaced, can they be replaced with steel or do you have to stay with the expensive CCB replacement? You may as well keep the CCB while they're in good shape.
No problem to put steels on if desired at the time, along w. new pads. That said, there always seem to be rotors for sale own Ebay at a decent price. If am not sure you the W212 but MB typically use the same rotors across several models. Our E63s/GTC have the same rotors as the SL (part no. starts with A231)