Sponsored by:

Experience with RENNtech ECU+ Upgrade E 63 (S) AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 11:27 AM

Received 576 Likes on 248 Posts
2014 AMG E63S and 2020 AMG GTC
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
you totally nailed it -- the amgs etc are loss leaders for carmax and their warranty. In fact most companies won't warrant the e63 on the used market for their own actuarial understanding of these losses. That being said, as you appropriately mentioned ... the rest of the carmax inventories make up for this.

maybe buying a used e63 from carmax with maxcare is the best way to buy an e63?
I've heard similar stories from friends who bought used Porsche's etc from CarMax. The warranty was second to none. As long as the work is being completed by a competent shop I'd consider buying used from CarMax... they are no worse than most dealerships at screening their inventory. CPO is just a selling gimmick I've found.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by oLONEoWOLFo
First thing I'm doing (tomorrow actually) is having a second tuner here locally pull plugs verify none are fouled, set to correct gap, and retorque to spec (23Nm/17psi). I have a second set of plugs from FCP Euro being delivered tmr in case there are any issues. If i still have issues after that, i'm going to take your suggestion of boosting octane to confirm it is in fact a fuel quality issue before sending tune back. I was under impression we could not use E85 in our vehicles without some upgrades to fuel system and a e85 specific tune so my idea was to either find race gas somewhere or see if anybody has experienc with Boostane and try their product to boost to high 90's. RennTech has already agreed to replace tune with lower boost if I so choose, but I just want to confirm that gas quality is in fact the issue first.
be sure your guy also while checking the plugs verifies they are indexed properly! There was a document here on the boards that talked about the importance of M1 57 motors being spark plugs installed with correct index or it could cause engine issues. You would be shocked how many tuners don’t know that and 157 motors need Spark plugs to be correctly indexed
Old 12-20-2019, 08:40 AM
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
E63 AMG S
To the original posters question, Renntech is a very solid tune for the M157, they have a great history and produce very high quality products and tunes. They are the top of the ladder in the M157 and AMG world.

I would def be a lot more pessimistic/frustrated if not for the maxcare warranty i purchased. i've already just about made my money back on that in the first 6 months of ownership just through suspension fixes and will def make it back after this. The loss of vehicle is only a minor inconvenience for me as i can just continue driving the company car.

The thing that i cannot fathom how carmax has not yet figured out their lack of adjustment on their warranty costs for high risk vehicles. afaik maxcare does not adjust the cost of their warranty based on probability to have issues so i was able to get a 3yr, up to 75k mile warranty (40k miles left until that point at time of purchase) for around $2k. Sure i paid more up front that i might have elsewhere, but when a situation(s) like this arises, i'm at ease. I guess they still make plenty of money in the sum of it off of cars that they sell the product on that have significantly fewer issues, but they have to get eaten alive on the benzs/audis/bmw's they sell.

sorry to hear about this, glad you got this now rather than later, and glad you figured it out. Best of luck!
Old 12-21-2019, 09:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLA45 mit optionz; MS6 8 port & stuff
Originally Posted by brutus_tx
Exactly what I was going to suggest. If you have access to E85, 4 gallons in the tank should net you a safe increase in octane as well. Enough to see if it's an octane related issue at least.
Misfire and Knock are 2 totally different things

adding some E85 can be used to diagnose a suspected Knock. neither Meth, nor Eth, will help you with diagnosing misfire.
Here is the update for me;

I was able to datalog the issue...only time I can trigger misfire is at 20psi which is the max psi of the R1-package specific tune. In short Renntech offers three base tunes. The first (intermediate) is for 91 octane states (unsure max psi for this one), the second is for 93 octane states w/o diverter valve installed (18.5 psi max I believe but could be 19 psi max), and third is in 93 octane states with diverter valve installed (20 psi max). I had the third tune as I purchased the R1 package.

Im going to have them send me the second tune since it seems the 20psi tune is just slightly too aggressive with the gas quality I'm able to get (even though its listed as 93 at the pump everywhere and I'm using Shell and BP). It sucks to lose that extra ~30hp and ~70tq at the crank but every time I hit 20psi on the datalog I'm getting a misfire CEL so its not worth it.
Perhaps getting a fresh set of plugs, and gapping them to .026, will dramatically solve your problem, or stretching your springs....... (haha, sorry, mazda joke)
fuel?
objectively, I havent seen any data. but the BROAD concensus in the Speed3/6 world,(a platform notoriously sensitive to fueling issues) Shell nitro93 OR Sunoco 93 are the only 2 fuels you should use
ALSO track the summer winter transition point in your area. your station manager knows when to the day . your tune may well not care for one or the other
If your are trying to sort true KR from a mechanical rattle KR, or just be able to say its not the fuel....

run down to homeyd and get a gallon of denatured alcohol, or if your fussy, get some M1 fro a speed shop
add that to half a tank and let it cycle thru a bit grab a log
once you are sure you have solid data, top off with 93, and have a think on the numbers.
it will also grab up any watery **** rolling around
Old 01-17-2021, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
1991 964 Turbo, 2002 Black E55, 2002 Black E55 " The Beast"- 2014 E63s
Any update on the engine issue?
Old 02-12-2021, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
1991 964 Turbo, 2002 Black E55, 2002 Black E55 " The Beast"- 2014 E63s
No news?