Sponsored by:

Another Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 12:50 PM

Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts
2016 E63s
Another Tire Thread

So my summer tires are starting to skip and “pop” now that temps in the Mid-Atlantic are below 40 - highly annoying and startles the crap out of you thinking you just snapped a tie rod. Tread on the OEMs are starting get low, so screw it, time to swap them out. I’ve heard the horror stories of driving in the winter on max summer tires so I’m leaning all seasons instead of running two sets. I don’t track so no need to pull 10g’s on a highway.

Simple question for the group - Conti Extreme Contact DWS06 or Michelin Sport A/S 3+?

From everything I’ve read the DWS is squishier but cheaper. The AS3 is firmer but louder, and more expensive.

And Peter before you send me a link, I read all the threads already! Just wanted the most current sentiment from the group.

Thanks
Old 12-12-2019, 01:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
335i e90
I am going with the conti's. I ve had them on my cts-v and my bmw. great tire! good in the snow and quiet in the summer. good luck with your decision.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E55 2008 ML63
I have the Conti’s. Wouldn’t get them again, takes too much away from the car. Great overall tire, however they are too floaty, Too soft, car doesn’t have nearly the lateral grip of a summer tire.
Did not have the Michelin’s so I cannot speak on them.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:18 PM

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Too many to list
I'm actually running both on my ML at the moment, conti DWS06 up front and michelin AS 3+ rears. Before anyone starts questioning why I have 2 different tire brands on the same vehicle, it's because my rears were bald but my fronts were still at 60% (had too much fun in the country roads and burn outs) so I elected to try out a set of AS 3+. When I got the AS 3+ installed, I had discounttire swap front to back. First impression, dang these michelins are loud! They ride alot firmer, corners better, more road feel but I couldn't get over the loudness. I mean they almost sound like I had a bad wheel bearing. So I swap the AS 3+ to the rears. While still loud, it's more tolerable. Just from this observation, I prefer the DWS06 because it's softer, quieter, cheaper, longer thread life and just as fun in the twisties. Only downside to the DWS06 is that they tend to have flat spots. Next summer, going to go with dedicated summer tires (PS4S) and some winter tires.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:19 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
C63 P31
I've used a lot of different tires, for both racing and daily driving. I recently just switched from A/S 3 to DWS06s and recommended the latter. Even for autocross we use the Contis in the wet, they're a great tire. Sure, they're softer, but you're also driving a 4000lb luxury car, who cares if it's "floaty". They're comfortable and excel in the wet.

​​
Old 12-12-2019, 05:35 PM

2016 E63s
When you guys say “floaty”, is it almost like the tire feels underinflated? I had a major blowout at highway speeds many years ago on some Dunlops, almost killed myself and several other people. The car felt “floaty” minutes before because unbeknownst to me the sidewall had broken down or internally sheared on a tight u-turn (I suspect) and it was just hanging by a few metal threads. Got on the highway and at 70mph I did three 360’s across 4 lanes. These were the days before TPMS and you had to just have your wits about you and do a visual every so often.

I’ll never forget that sensation and would probably have flashbacks with the DWS if they move too much. But if you can track these then that’s a good sign they have an upper limit to that softness and eventually finds its backbone?
Old 12-13-2019, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Many have suggested on various other car forums that with DWS, you just need to add an extra 2-4 psi on top of your usual pressure and that floaty feeling will be much less felt.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:58 PM

2016 E63s
Great feedback, thanks all. I’m actually a little surprised to see the DWS get so much love based on some other threads. Figured the Michelin would be a no-brainer except for cost and I’d have an easy decision.

Looks like I’ll have to flip a coin and let the invisible hand decide.