Really hard 2-3 shift after tune.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 91 Posts
2014 cls63 a amg. 2018 AMG GTR
Really hard 2-3 shift after tune.

This is my second 14 cls63 amg . last one I did downpipes and EC tune and drove about 45k miles on it. Loved it. I now have a cls63 s amg. I didn’t do the tune for nearly two years since I was pretty happy with the increased power the S model has (0-60 3.0 seconds on my v box ).

Well recently a friend talked me Into going to track so of course I decided to tune it 🤷‍♂️ This time I only have EC tune, new stock plugs gapped at .022 and UPD intake.

what I experienced immediately was at wot the 2-3 shift is extremely hard/rough. I’m talking throwing your head back and forth hard. Put stock tune on and it totally goes away. Jerry has been great sending me different tunes. Last one had less boost on the 2-3 shift but made no difference.... the power it’s making is insane. Pulls so much harder at every speed. I really like how the gas pedal feels more sensitive and linear as well. I don’t remember that on my last tunes cls.

I finally thought to put the car in sport mode vs sport plus I always drive in. Shift seems to be totally fine again ..... I prefer sport plus though.

Car only had 39k miles on it. My last one I drove until 88k miles without issue.

FYI I put a half tank of 100 octane unleaded race fuel and a race gas tune in for the track and it fouled my plugs causing misfires and cel. Changed plugs ($650 ughh) has been running perfectly since.

thoughts ?

Last edited by dllhg; 01-26-2020 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:52 PM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
E63s
not much to think about
get a proper tune had same problem got a full refund
Old 01-26-2020, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wolves.creed
not much to think about
get a proper tune had same problem got a full refund

the fact it goes away in sport mode must mean something .... I had tune done on The same model car before by EC and it was solid.

so you had the same 2-3 shift issue specifically ?

strange they haven’t come up with a simple fix. No TCM tune. Doesn’t do it in sport mode only sport plus. Do the sport modes only change shifting or do they change other parameters in the ecu too ?
Old 01-26-2020, 05:01 PM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
E63s
I had tcu tune do this from 2-3 although before with st2 everything was fine. Its just bad tune thats all. I know that it ruins your trans for sure. Also on s+ , in s mode it shifted normal.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wolves.creed
I had tcu tune do this from 2-3 although before with st2 everything was fine. Its just bad tune thats all. I know that it ruins your trans for sure. Also on s+ , in s mode it shifted normal.
I didn’t have tcu tunes only the ecu to stage 2. Haven’t heard many complaints with EC tunes. Can’t imagine my trans had an issue with such low miles plus it goes away with stock tune. I’d like them to fix it and keep the tune if possible. Everything else about it is great. Just that darn 2-3 shift. 😟
Old 02-20-2021, 09:46 AM

Received 608 Likes on 273 Posts
poop
Any updates on this? Did you ever get to 2-3 shift worked out?
Old 02-20-2021, 12:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
335i e90
I would like to know also. I just installed an OE Tune and noticed in sport plus that 4th gear seemed to slip. Tried readdapting the trans tcu by disconnecting the battery overnight. Didnt help. I removed the tune and took it to the dealer to see if the trans was due for a software update. It wasnt but they readdapted the tcu with the scan tool and now it does feel better. Its snowy now in my area, but Im going to test it further when the weather clears.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We did lots of changes with the tune but none helped the issue at all. I took the tune off since it actually ran slower at the track with the tune and the hard shift than stock tune. Not to mention it can’t be good for the trans.

The last thing they told
Me to do was take to dealer and have tcu and ecu updated. Mine has atleast 3 updates that are needed. I’m not sure why they can’t adapt the tune to work with this. Like maybe have two versions of tune. One for people with newer cars and one for the older versions. Been lazy and never feel like taking to dealer and see if it works. Maybe this year I’ll try that.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,036 Likes on 1,420 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
I have EC e40 tune on one ecu and ams 93 tune on second each and stock tune

none do this

yes - get dealer updates then re tune
Old 02-20-2021, 03:10 PM

Received 608 Likes on 273 Posts
poop
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
I have EC e40 tune on one ecu and ams 93 tune on second each and stock tune

none do this

yes - get dealer updates then re tune
a quick search here shows that quite a few people have had this issue, yet nobody has said that EC has fixed it yet.

My car does have an updated TCU from the dealer a few months back.
Jerry just told me to reset the TCU and let it adapt.
No change after 2 days and about 30 S+ 2-3 shifts.
I will further describe it as not just a firm performance type shift, there is literally a brief slowing/braking action. It is quite violent and I guarantee if I keep doing it it will break something.
I'm taking this tune off my car and going to ask for refund unless they know how to fix it.
Not happy

Last edited by kenneyd; 02-20-2021 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by dllhg
We did lots of changes with the tune but none helped the issue at all. I took the tune off since it actually ran slower at the track with the tune and the hard shift than stock tune. Not to mention it can’t be good for the trans.

The last thing they told
Me to do was take to dealer and have tcu and ecu updated. Mine has atleast 3 updates that are needed. I’m not sure why they can’t adapt the tune to work with this. Like maybe have two versions of tune. One for people with newer cars and one for the older versions. Been lazy and never feel like taking to dealer and see if it works. Maybe this year I’ll try that.
I think you have your answer (bolded section).
However, you ran 0-60mph in 3.0 sec, that is damn fast for a stock car....you sure it does not have a tune already when you bought it???
Old 02-21-2021, 03:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kponti
I think you have your answer (bolded section).
However, you ran 0-60mph in 3.0 sec, that is damn fast for a stock car....you sure it does not have a tune already when you bought it???
ha. Well that’s what i originally thought. They inspected my tune and said it was indeed stock. 🤷‍♂️

the 1/4 mile times were In line with stock numbers. Vbox I do get 3.0 -3.2s on level ground. In poring rain too. Amazing cars off the showroom floor that’s for sure.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,036 Likes on 1,420 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by dllhg
ha. Well that’s what i originally thought. They inspected my tune and said it was indeed stock. 🤷‍♂️

the 1/4 mile times were In line with stock numbers. Vbox I do get 3.0 -3.2s on level ground. In poring rain too. Amazing cars off the showroom floor that’s for sure.
you just have a Wednesday car cuz I've never seen stock do that even with 1 ft rollout

a quick search will find people that are having issues often on an Internet forum but most people haven't had issues with EC tunes

big pic - sorry you're disappointed I totally get the frustration and hope you resolve this soon
Old 02-22-2021, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
you just have a Wednesday car cuz I've never seen stock do that even with 1 ft rollout

a quick search will find people that are having issues often on an Internet forum but most people haven't had issues with EC tunes

big pic - sorry you're disappointed I totally get the frustration and hope you resolve this soon
my base cls63 amg I had before was around 3.5. Mine is the S version so it does have a decent bump in boost over that car. Few 3.0 , lots of 3.1-3.2s. Amazing cars.