Sponsored by:

M157 engine rattle/clattering passenger cyclinder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Cls63 amg
M157 engine rattle/clattering passenger cyclinder

Sorry had this posted in the w218 section but seems no one really posts in the w218 section. So I currently have a

2012 cls63 with m157 motor with 85k on odometer. So i started with with the famous chain rattle on start up. so i had changed the chain tensioners and added the check valves behind tensioners.
so everything was good for about 2 weeks then i started to notice a chain rattle like sound from front passenger side of engine when driving. Only hear noise on deceleration when window is down and you can hear the sound , which is a rattling/clattering sound and seems to go with the rpms. one other thing I notice is the sound going away when the engine oil temp reachs 175 degrees exactly and the no sound even on hard deceleration. Have no CEL light and seem to have no performance change during the period of the rattle.

ive even tested it when i would let car idle and warm up to 175 then drive, then no noise. but when i drive it even at engine oil temp150 you will hear the noise just goes away once engine oil temp reachs 175 or higher. even happens on warm starts when engine oil temp is less then 175.

So what ive replaced already since i know stealership will charge me and arm and leg in labor to just throw these parts at it anyways and im mechanically inclined so i can do these myself.

camshaft adjuster solenoids, check valves, left and right tensioners and have the 4 camshaft sensors on the way.

and not knowing for sure. ive also had people tell me that the cam adjusters themselves are going out. But wouldnt that throw and CEL light since its dealing with the VVT?

next question is has anyone changed or have heard of any noise coming from the Engine variable timing solenoid pressure valve image above that is mount in front of the camshaft adjusters themselves and is controlled by the magnetic cam adjuster solenoid. If so whats the procedure for replacement
Old 02-11-2020, 02:41 AM

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts
C63 W204 / E63S W212 / E63S W212
Maybe its the cam adjuster/s not fully locking up? Hence the noise only from one side and at a given temp range? I remember once Tasos (A mechanic that posts on youtube) saying that those kinds of noises can be related to cam adjusters wearing down from dealer recommended 10k mile oil changes. He also mentioned that you cant simply open up the cam adjuster and flip the locking pin like in the m156 because manually closing the cam adjuster on the m157 wouldn't be like from the factory and cause issues. Possible that in your case issue hasn't progressed enough to cause a CEL. He was also saying that if you're gonna change 1 cam adjuster, might as well do all of them at once since its such a headache to get to them. On a plus side you'd be able to update the chains if they aren't already the updated version.

Wish you luck.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Cls63 amg
Yeah the adjuster was my worste fear. but like in the tasos videos and i check the adjusters the same way by putting the socket on the rear of the cam and see if they moved together? as far as still having the chains attached, cause jn the video he had the heads off already when he demostrated the faulty adjuster.