W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63

CD player won't stop ejecting - device unavailable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2021 | 11:34 PM

GLS450
CD player won't stop ejecting - device unavailable

Recently my 2012 Command CD player (NTG 4.5) has been non-stop ejecting or will cycle disc positions trying to eject endlessly. There are no discs in it and it never stops. Occasionally, it will eventually throw the message device unavailable and once cleared, it will go back to trying to eject. Anyone know how to fix this short of buying a new one? It's driving me nuts.
Old 07-12-2021 | 01:35 AM

2016 E63s
Had this happen once in my Toyota Sequoia. Drove me nuts too and I just went apeshlt on it ramming it back in over and over. Eventually it worked! Gotta be some sort of sensor, I'm sure this is something you can probably solve in an electronics forum as I doubt these CD players are designed radically different.
Old 07-12-2021 | 09:48 PM

GLS450
Thanks for the tip. I might give it a shot with a q-tip or compressed air.
Old 07-18-2021 | 12:51 PM

2014 E63 AMG
What is a CD player? 🤪
Old 07-18-2021 | 11:26 PM

W212 E550 4M P2
Originally Posted by Scott Gerhardt
What is a CD player? 🤪
Come on now, Scott. It’s like a cassette player.
Old 08-09-2021 | 03:28 PM

E550 Coupe
ACC2, curious if you resolved your issue? I have the same problem with my 2012 e550 coupe. I'm a recently new owner (~3 weeks) and did not notice the issue at first (could have missed it over the excitement of the purchase). On Day 2 of owning the car I had to replace the battery, which was the original (after moving the seats back /forth many times while doing an inside detailing). It was after that when I noticed the issue. Looking at the fault history in the COMAND Engineering mode, I did see a few occurrences of DTC 9422 (There is an internal fault in the CD/DVD drive).

I did not try to reset the unit while in Engineering mode, I wanted to first be sure that I didn't need to enter in any security codes or perform any dealer specific procedures after doing so. Once I've confirmed this, I'm going to give that a try.

Old 08-10-2021 | 12:19 PM

GLS450
Sounds like we have the same problem. I haven't found a solution. I tried cleaning what I could with a q-tip through the CD slot, hoping it could be a dirty sensor. I also tried blasting compressed air through the slot. For me, the mechanical noise varies from continuous grinding to repeated attempts to eject or load. While I didn't fix anything, I did transition to seemingly less objectionable and less frequent noises. I had this problem about a year ago and got lucky and it went dormant for months by itself.

I do wonder what effect it would have to load a full deck of CD's and see if it can sort itself out. I suspect it might be able to recalibrate itself and find inner peace. My worry is the CD's would never come out and it would spend eternity cycling them. Another hail-mary might be one of those special "lens cleaning" cds that has a little brush on the underside.

Let me know if you have any success. You could be a hero to the rest of us.
Old 08-11-2021 | 06:03 PM

E550 Coupe
thanks for the feedback. Yes this is going to bubble to top of the list after a few things get done (get a good wax or ceramic coating on car, fix passenger mirror that doesn't home properly after putting it in 'park' position). I'll try a few of the things you did and also see if the reset through the eng menu will do anything. After that I guess it will be to pull it out and see if I can fix it or break it more lol.
Old 08-11-2021 | 06:26 PM

GLS450
If you do pull it, replacement is a bit complicated because to put another in it needs to be new ($$$$) with dealer mating, or used with some type of code from donor car (parts dealers may not have) and then mated.

Either way, expensive and a hassle. I wonder if it’s possible to send the existing unit out for repair somewhere? If possible that would be worth a few hundred bucks.
Old 08-11-2021 | 07:01 PM

E550 Coupe
thanks yes I had read in a prev post that a new unit was crazy expensive and needed a dealer to mate it with the car. I was thinking of taking it out and see if I could repair it myself - but having it sent away for repair if that doesnt pan out is a great backup plan. But then again if I brick it I'd be exposed to having to replace it like you say...

Last edited by Couch67; 08-11-2021 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-14-2021 | 12:35 PM

GLS450
Hey Couch, wondering if you ever resolved CD Player problem? I'm ready to do something drastic.
Old 10-07-2021 | 11:04 PM

E550 Coupe
No its still whirring away in the background, last few months have been busy so havent done a thing about it yet. I almost dont even notice it now unless someone mentions it, or if the radio is off and then its noticable. I can see why there has been no reported diy fixes.