W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63

Did anyone have front differential leak?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2021 | 01:50 PM

Lincoln
Did anyone have front differential leak?

(Previous thread)
Car is a 2015 AMG S. Did anyone have front differential fluid leak? If you had, did you have to replace the front axle seal or front differential seal? I took my car to a shop today to check the leak. They found the front axle seal is leaking different fluid but couldn't be sure if the differential seal is also bad because it's hard to access. They quoted me 4 hrs labor to replace the front axle seal. And they said engine has to be dropped to access the differential seal and probably special tools are required too. So they couldn't do the differential seal. My questions are:
(1) Is it common for this car's front axle seal to leak? (Update: I searched in w212 forums and it does seem it happened to many w212s)
(2) How about front differential seal? Is it common to have a leak in w212?
(3) Is 4 hrs labor in the right range just to replace the axle seal? (Seems it's really hard to get to it and that's why high labor?)
(4) Side question, what's the part number for the rear differential drain plugs and what's the right torque? Thank you!

Last edited by hardyli; 08-26-2021 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-26-2021 | 07:49 PM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

1999 E300TD
look here--Mercedes-Benz Electronic Spare Parts Catalogue Online
Old 08-26-2021 | 11:37 PM

2016 E63s
Just had mine replaced under CPO warranty. You could see the oil spray on the undercarriage and apparently it was a long job by the tech. Can't tell you much more but here's the invoice: