W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63

M157 Exhaust upgrades ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2021 | 04:31 PM

2015 E63s
M157 Exhaust upgrades ?

Was looking to get some more insight on the different kind of exhaust upgrades for the 15’ e63s. I just bought one & was thinking about making the exhaust a little more loud, but don’t want anything crazy. I was thinking about doing resonator delete & replacing them with straight pipes but not sure if that will make it sound any better. I was also thinking about catless down pipes but I think that’ll be a bit much. I’m leaning towards resonator delete but wanted to see if anyone had any good recommendations. Thanks….
Old 11-02-2021 | 05:15 PM

E63
I'd do catless downpipes and keep the stock resonator and mufflers.
The following 2 users liked this post by sickSVT:
Chest Rockwell (11-04-2021), S63AMG888 (11-03-2021)
Old 11-02-2021 | 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S
For sound, most people simply cut out OE resonator and replace with X, H or Straight pipes. You will hear a plethora of different explanations as to what's best (good luck w/ that).
For "power", many have gone the downpipe route. Some worry about the smell. Some worry about SMOG.
I was literally just looking at the whole post downpipes section from supersprint (it eliminates the resonator) w/ the F1 mufflers... but ultimately think it's not worth the money.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rehabguy:
carlos85 (11-03-2021), fshake (03-15-2022)
Old 11-02-2021 | 10:51 PM

2015 E63s
Originally Posted by Rehabguy
For sound, most people simply cut out OE resonator and replace with X, H or Straight pipes. You will hear a plethora of different explanations as to what's best (good luck w/ that).
For "power", many have gone the downpipe route. Some worry about the smell. Some worry about SMOG.
I was literally just looking at the whole post downpipes section from supersprint (it eliminates the resonator) w/ the F1 mufflers... but ultimately think it's not worth the money.
I see. I was gonna do catless downpipes just worried about smell and it being overly loud. I mean the car sounds good already just want some more sound. I’m leaning more towards res delete but not sure whether to do the h,x, or straight pipe. Any major differences?
Old 11-03-2021 | 03:42 AM

W212 E63 AMG
I wouldn't worry about it being too loud, Although downpipes make the car considerably louder there isn't any droning at all. If smell is a consideration then that would be a bigger concern as you can smell how much fuel you are using when stood behind the car... There's not any smell in the cabin at all. As for smog you do get a little bit of smoke on a cold morning but I find that, that goes away once the engine is warm. I didn't really want to cut the standard exhaust which is why I ended up going downpipes (that and i wanted to see what stage 2 was like) you could always look at getting some sports catalysts instead of decat downpipes as this would increase the sound but you wouldn't get the smell.
The following users liked this post:
KingofCorsa (11-03-2021)
Old 11-03-2021 | 10:22 AM

Alfa 159
Originally Posted by sickSVT
I'd do catless downpipes and keep the stock resonator and mufflers.
Really like those rear silencers (mufflers as you say that side of the puddle!)....if for nothing more than the look. What brand are they (do you have a build thread)? Are they anti-socially loud!! I assume your car is M157 powered.....are they available for the M156?
Old 11-03-2021 | 01:34 PM

2015 E63s
Originally Posted by carlos85
I wouldn't worry about it being too loud, Although downpipes make the car considerably louder there isn't any droning at all. If smell is a consideration then that would be a bigger concern as you can smell how much fuel you are using when stood behind the car... There's not any smell in the cabin at all. As for smog you do get a little bit of smoke on a cold morning but I find that, that goes away once the engine is warm. I didn't really want to cut the standard exhaust which is why I ended up going downpipes (that and i wanted to see what stage 2 was like) you could always look at getting some sports catalysts instead of decat downpipes as this would increase the sound but you wouldn't get the smell.
if I were to do catless downpipes I wouldn’t tune the car or anything. Do I need to? And would I get any check engine lights?
Old 11-03-2021 | 01:45 PM

W212 E63 AMG
You would get a check engine light, you could probably get spacers for the exhaust sensors to stop it… or just get a tune and unleash the beast haha
Old 11-03-2021 | 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S
Originally Posted by KingofCorsa
I see. I was gonna do catless downpipes just worried about smell and it being overly loud. I mean the car sounds good already just want some more sound. I’m leaning more towards res delete but not sure whether to do the h,x, or straight pipe. Any major differences?
THAT is exactly the part of this equation I was wishing you luck on, LOL! Some say "this" sounds better. others say "that performs better", yada, yada... I am with Carlos85. I wouldn't want to hack up this exhaust to eliminate the res. That's why I was looking into the Supersprint "post downpipe" set up. But at close to $2K + shipping + install... HECK NO! for some sound.... and, mind you, I dunno if I would even like the end result. No thanks. Better off spending $ on a TCU tune or BB Intake. The stock exhaust is very unrestricted. Exhaust bits are pretty Iow on the "go fast mods/bang for the buck" list (also on this forum). Will link up a video another member posted. Very informative.

Originally Posted by KingofCorsa
if I were to do catless downpipes I wouldn’t tune the car or anything. Do I need to? And would I get any check engine lights?
You would absolutely need a tune. If you live in a state where they do emissions, don't even bother. You won't pass. There is a thread on here where its OP was struggling w/ spacers (and seemingly a bit of a PITA to install according to comments on said thread). If you are in a state which checks your emissions yearly or biyearly... get something catted. Redstar is what a lot of members are running. Catted ones, not cheap.
Old 11-03-2021 | 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S
And a big thank you to the creator for the info. in this vid.
E63_SauceGod (11-22-2021)
Old 11-03-2021 | 11:18 PM

E63
Originally Posted by ALFAitalia
Really like those rear silencers (mufflers as you say that side of the puddle!)....if for nothing more than the look. What brand are they (do you have a build thread)? Are they anti-socially loud!! I assume your car is M157 powered.....are they available for the M156?
It's pretty much a custom setup: Long tube headers, Double X-Pipes (One deletes the cats, the other deletes the resonator). Double X-Pipes gives it that high pitch exotic AMG sound. I then modified the catback with some 6" race mufflers and 4.5" Quad Tips. It's pretty loud!

ALFAitalia (11-04-2021)
Old 11-04-2021 | 05:31 AM

Alfa 159
Thank you for your detailed reply....I think just adding the tips to the stock silencers (somehow!) will do the job for me....it will get that look at least. Personally I think they are quite loud enough from the factory!!
Old 03-15-2022 | 07:32 PM

W205 '15 | '17 C43 | '18 C63(current) | '15'GL350 | '16 G550 (current)
Originally Posted by Rehabguy
agree 100%! I did resonator delete on my ‘17 C63 and it is the best of both the worlds. Not Civic or BMW loud and just toe right amount of pops and bangs when downshifting.