W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multicontour seats - do they work? Or not? Or 2016 fail?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 06:03 AM

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts
2016 E63 Wagon
Multicontour seats - do they work? Or not? Or 2016 fail?

Ever since we bought the car I have struggled with the seat controls. It seems as if they don't really work right.
The manual doesn't cover the seat controls at all, and the car's electronic manual refers to a version of the seats that are controlled from the Command/NTG screen. Don't have that actual feature in the car. It's a 2016 with the updated NTG and it almost feels like they were prepared for the next gen seats, but forgot it was the last year of production and hence the actual seats in the car are not controllable from NTG....
To be specific it's the two bottom buttons (circled below) where the top one is supposed to move the lumbar support up and down and the lower is supposed to inflate/deflate it. Or rather, that's what I think from looking at the controls. Maybe that's wrong? Could also be the inverse?
For me, they basically do the exact same thing, just inflates the support, there is no up/down movement.

When you run the massage function, you can clearly feel the support(s) move much higher up on in the back. There are no error codes in the car for seats or seat controls.

Last edited by FastWgn; 12-24-2021 at 06:09 AM.
Old 12-24-2021, 07:24 AM

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts
14 E63, 05 E55, 03 Evo 8, 08 F250, 06 R6R, 92 Talon TSI, and instability
That bottom button is i deed lumbar support. Unless there's a safety issue, you won’t see a message on the screen. A scan with an SDS would tell you if a fault was detected in the seat.
Originally Posted by FastWgn
Ever since we bought the car I have struggled with the seat controls. It seems as if they don't really work right.
The manual doesn't cover the seat controls at all, and the car's electronic manual refers to a version of the seats that are controlled from the Command/NTG screen. Don't have that actual feature in the car. It's a 2016 with the updated NTG and it almost feels like they were prepared for the next gen seats, but forgot it was the last year of production and hence the actual seats in the car are not controllable from NTG....
To be specific it's the two bottom buttons (circled below) where the top one is supposed to move the lumbar support up and down and the lower is supposed to inflate/deflate it. Or rather, that's what I think from looking at the controls. Maybe that's wrong? Could also be the inverse?
For me, they basically do the exact same thing, just inflates the support, there is no up/down movement.

When you run the massage function, you can clearly feel the support(s) move much higher up on in the back. There are no error codes in the car for seats or seat controls.

Old 12-24-2021, 10:42 AM

2016 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by WANTED!!
That bottom button is i deed lumbar support. Unless there's a safety issue, you won’t see a message on the screen. A scan with an SDS would tell you if a fault was detected in the seat.
Thank you.
Not sure what you mean with safety issue ands message on screen? In the (onboard) manual it states you should use the NTG/Command to adjust the lumbar support, but that menu option is not in my car.
I have scanned the car - that's what I meant with "There are no error codes in the car for seats or seat controls", the car is code free.

For anyone else with a 2016 car - when you use those two buttons - can you feel the support get bigger and smaller as well as move up and down?

Old 12-24-2021, 11:16 AM

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts
14 E63, 05 E55, 03 Evo 8, 08 F250, 06 R6R, 92 Talon TSI, and instability
If you're looking for errors using the secret menus in the car, unless they are directly related to driver/passenger safety they won't show on the dash or on the entertainment screen necessarily. Seatbelts, airbags will. Lumber, movement, and side support won't.
With the meecedes specific scantool (sds), if there is a fault with the lumbar support it will show up there. With that tool you can make the lumbar actuate to troubleshoot if the seat or switch may be faulty.
With a higher end scantool like a snap on Solus/zeus/triton/etc or a matco maximus, you'll be able to see a fault if there is one but as of the last update had limited actuation control. I can't remember if seat actuation was supported, and can't speak to the latest software update if that was added.

Btw, here is the seat controls on the 2014. They're exactly the same. Yes, yes the lower lumbar does do as you describe.

Hope that's clearer.

Thank you.
Not sure what you mean with safety issue ands message on screen? In the (onboard) manual it states you should use the NTG/Command to adjust the lumbar support, but that menu option is not in my car.
I have scanned the car - that's what I meant with "There are no error codes in the car for seats or seat controls", the car is code free.

For anyone else with a 2016 car - when you use those two buttons - can you feel the support get bigger and smaller as well as move up and down?
Old 12-24-2021, 04:56 PM

2016 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by WANTED!!
If you're looking for errors using the secret menus in the car, unless they are directly related to driver/passenger safety they won't show on the dash or on the entertainment screen necessarily. Seatbelts, airbags will. Lumber, movement, and side support won't.
With the meecedes specific scantool (sds), if there is a fault with the lumbar support it will show up there. With that tool you can make the lumbar actuate to troubleshoot if the seat or switch may be faulty.
With a higher end scantool like a snap on Solus/zeus/triton/etc or a matco maximus, you'll be able to see a fault if there is one but as of the last update had limited actuation control. I can't remember if seat actuation was supported, and can't speak to the latest software update if that was added.

Btw, here is the seat controls on the 2014. They're exactly the same. Yes, yes the lower lumbar does do as you describe.

Hope that's clearer.
I had the dealer scan it as the last service - found nothing,
I then scanned it using Carsoft and did not see anything. Not sure if I can actually actuate the lumbar support using Carsfot - will check.,

Just curious - in the '14 car - what does your manual say related to using the seats? Does it tell you to find menu in the NTG?

Last edited by FastWgn; 12-25-2021 at 06:10 AM.
Old 12-24-2021, 11:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Lincoln
Subscribe. Mine does exactly the same thing. They only inflate lol.
Old 12-25-2021, 06:13 AM

2016 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by hardyli
Subscribe. Mine does exactly the same thing. They only inflate lol.
Ah - so I'm not alone. Good and bad news I guess. Either we have two broken seats, or that's how the all work....
Is your car a '16 with the updated NTG or not?

WANTED!! - just to be 100% clear - your seat does work - the two buttons perform different functions (one inflate, one move the hump up and down)?

Old 12-25-2021, 08:36 AM

Received 257 Likes on 170 Posts
2014 E63S
I got a 2014, gotta look into this and see if they do anything. Haven't messed with it since I got the car last year, set it and left it alone ever since, even massage seats got used maybe twice and that was on 5hr trips
Old 12-25-2021, 11:43 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Lincoln
Ah - so I'm not alone. Good and bad news I guess. Either we have two broken seats, or that's how the all work....
Is your car a '16 with the updated NTG or not?

WANTED!! - just to be 100% clear - your seat does work - the two buttons perform different functions (one inflate, one move the hump up and down)?
Mine is a 2015. Not sure if it’s the updated NTG? How to check?

I can’t remember exactly how mine works. (Sorry I’m not home for a while to check it) But I remember there was one time I tried to adjust the lumber, I tried both buttons and what they do is just inflate the part contacting my lower back while I wanted to inflate the upper part. So at least the button that moves it up and down doesn’t work as expected. Then I tried to deflate and it didn’t work. So that means the other button doesn’t work as expected either. Massage works though. Since then I haven’t messed with it and just left it as is.
Old 12-25-2021, 07:29 PM

2016 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by hardyli
Mine is a 2015. Not sure if it’s the updated NTG? How to check?

I can’t remember exactly how mine works. (Sorry I’m not home for a while to check it) But I remember there was one time I tried to adjust the lumber, I tried both buttons and what they do is just inflate the part contacting my lower back while I wanted to inflate the upper part. So at least the button that moves it up and down doesn’t work as expected. Then I tried to deflate and it didn’t work. So that means the other button doesn’t work as expected either. Massage works though. Since then I haven’t messed with it and just left it as is.
If you have 2015 it's 100% the "older" version of NTG (4.5 o 4.7). The graphics on the newer version (5) is completely different. Two big advantages of the 5 version: 1) looks a lot more modern, and b) Carplay and Android Auto is supported.

Easy to see what you have

Sounds like yours doesn't work either then. Or at least not like I would have expected it to work...
Thank you for checking!
The following users liked this post:
Johnny Rad (12-25-2021)
Old 12-26-2021, 10:19 PM

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
Do they inflate and deflate as is in any form? Is the pump good? My car came with a failed pump and all bolsters inflated... once a new pump went in all has been goons.

the top button inflates the bolster under the knees,

the side bolster switch is used for when not in dynamic. If fully inflated they don’t inflate more in dynamic. So back off the fit if you’re skinny.

dynamic mode is most noticeable when side boosters are not fully inflated prior to selection. The side bolster button will seemingly not wirk when dynamic is selected, and that’s on purpose. Turn off dynamic to adjust.

pulse mode is also the massage, inflating from bottom to top and repeating. It doesn’t do all bolsters.

the lever for lumbar, up is to inflate and down is to deflate (deflate deflates the lower lumbar button function as well)

basically as long as the bags, the modules, fuses etc are good, the logic is such that some buttons overlap and others do not.

my peeve is they removed it from passenger seating:/
The following users liked this post:
cotmfk (01-04-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 06:19 PM

2016 E63 Wagon
So after additional code reading- no codes, but no way to actuate the individual bladders' in my tool.
I think based on the feedback in this thread - that they work as intended. The intention is just rather "lacking."....
Old 01-03-2022, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Took me 4 years to discover and use the message seats LOL. I didn't know I had them until a road trip from DC to Detroit in 2020.
Old 01-03-2022, 11:35 PM

Received 257 Likes on 170 Posts
2014 E63S
Just looked at my car while I had it running in the garage since it's in winter storage mode, and literly the 2 buttons do the same thing for me as well. My car has farely low miles at 20k so it's barely broken in hehe
Old 01-04-2022, 05:45 AM

2016 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by Mojo20032004
Just looked at my car while I had it running in the garage since it's in winter storage mode, and literly the 2 buttons do the same thing for me as well. My car has farely low miles at 20k so it's barely broken in hehe
Thank you!
So at least our cars are not broken - just a weird axx design.....

Yeah - and get out there and drive a bit! I say road trip!!
This car is too good to sit still.
Old 01-04-2022, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,177 Likes on 619 Posts
2023 E63S Wagon
Thank you.

LOL
I thought it was just me, trying to figure out those buttons. Also did not find in the manual. I hold them and hold them and concentrate on what's changing - I dunno either.
LOL.