Topping Off Coolant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 222 Posts
E63S
Topping Off Coolant

Just wanted to know how much coolant to add. Have searched around and some say to "add until the 'T' is covered" and others say to add until the white part of tank is covered/ up until black plastic"
Which one is correct?

You can see the "Up side down T" is covered.

Since we are talking about coolant. Should I go with this: Pentofrost NF Coolant/Antifreeze - Pentosin G001100 OEM (Because it's 1.5L for top off) or should I just get Mercedes Coolant - Genuine Mercedes Q1030004 (A whole Gallon)

Thank you MB Gurus in advance.

Old 05-08-2022, 09:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,070 Likes on 1,443 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Not sure on what is level or brand but your local dealer usually will top off for free on basic fluids
The following users liked this post:
chassis (05-08-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Not sure on what is level or brand but your local dealer usually will top off for free on basic fluids
Stealership closest to me is always hectic. If I could nonchalantly swing by and get the 100ml that I probably need, I would. They would likely want me to make an appointment and keep my car for 3 days. No, thanks. Avoid the stealership like the bubonic plague.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rehabguy:
cotmfk (05-09-2022), lampeater (05-10-2022), PeterUbers (05-09-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 01:15 AM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
'14 E63S, '00 E430, '07 C230
I normally fill up to a bit past the black piece if I need to top off. Also don't forget to check the coolant level in the middle as well under the main engine cover.
Old 05-10-2022, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S
Originally Posted by lampeater
I normally fill up to a bit past the black piece if I need to top off. Also don't forget to check the coolant level in the middle as well under the main engine cover.
One of the things mentioned in one of the few videos I watch with regards to this topic stated "Not to go past the black plastic" Supposedly to allow room for expansion when everything gets heated up. All these different "opinions" is precisely why I decided to start this thread. I am not getting any lights on the dash/warnings/reminders about "low engine coolant" so, I'd think that this is an acceptable level of coolant.
Yes, the small tank under the engine cover. I haven't gotten around to that. I will pull the cover off an see if that tank has actual markings (as a normal car should, lol!)
Old 05-11-2022, 12:45 AM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
'14 E63S, '00 E430, '07 C230
Originally Posted by Rehabguy
One of the things mentioned in one of the few videos I watch with regards to this topic stated "Not to go past the black plastic" Supposedly to allow room for expansion when everything gets heated up. All these different "opinions" is precisely why I decided to start this thread. I am not getting any lights on the dash/warnings/reminders about "low engine coolant" so, I'd think that this is an acceptable level of coolant.
Yes, the small tank under the engine cover. I haven't gotten around to that. I will pull the cover off an see if that tank has actual markings (as a normal car should, lol!)
Yeah, I've noticed too when searching that there isn't a clear definitive answer to where the actual fill line is. Still, I haven't had an issue with going a smidge past the bottom of the black plastic, have not gotten any warning lights regarding it, nor excess coolant seeping through the cap up top.
The smaller reservoir under the engine cover has a small cross posts and the coolant should be right above that mark. Make sure to check it periodically since there is no coolant level sensor in that tank.
More information regarding the smaller reservoir here https://mbworld.org/forums/c218/8255...oir-empty.html
Old 05-11-2022, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S
Originally Posted by lampeater
Yeah, I've noticed too when searching that there isn't a clear definitive answer to where the actual fill line is. Still, I haven't had an issue with going a smidge past the bottom of the black plastic, have not gotten any warning lights regarding it, nor excess coolant seeping through the cap up top.
The smaller reservoir under the engine cover has a small cross posts and the coolant should be right above that mark. Make sure to check it periodically since there is no coolant level sensor in that tank.
More information regarding the smaller reservoir here https://mbworld.org/forums/c218/8255...oir-empty.html
I sorta remember coming across that post a while back. I guess MB likes their in tank ambiguous markings. Thank you for linking that other thread.
The following users liked this post:
lampeater (05-12-2022)