Sponsored by:

E63s smoke through PCV / exhaust after wrong oil fitment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 02:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MY06 E55
E63s smoke through PCV / exhaust after wrong oil fitment

Sorry if long winded, but want to explain the back story.
My M157 is tuned, has ben for many years, gets driven like a grandma mostly. C mode ( low boost )
One day while normal driving normal it made a bad noise and started to miss at idle.
Pulled the plugs and a ceramic on the electrode had broken and dropped and covered the electrode, which made it miss at idle. it logged a code which also confirmed that.
I replaced the plugs with Bosch plugs, screwed in normally. ( this is a nightmare job, on a right hand drive car )
At the same time I replaced the oil with 5-40W engine oil ( NON MB229.5 approved )
When I started it the miss was fine and was okay, but then it smoked heavily.
I made this mistake once before on my E55, so i drained the oil and filled it with MB229.5 oil. The smoke 90% stopped.
i pulled the plugs and they seemed all okay and clean. but I noticed the PCV hose that goes to the air intake was very oily.
made me believe oil is then spraying in the intake pipe, then into turbo , then cooler then engine.
I sprayed a bunch of combustion cleaner and believe i blew most of it out.

Slowly day by day there was less smoke on start up, till it was kinda gone.

Now when i drive a long trip 50 plus miles, you can smell oil burning, and after that trip and siting it has a puff on start up.
Power appears to be fine ( i don't thrash it )
It is now consuming oil at a high rate, perhaps a quart after 500 miles, before it was much less.

I pulled the intake and I can see the PCV hose oil soaked. ( i think it is the PCV hose, goes to the passenger air filter box )
When you run the car, with say oil cap off, there is no smoke. but when you rev it up, this pcv hose ( i removed it from the rocker cover ) you can see it breathe oil on a hard rev, at idle nothing.
Is this s PCV ? is it replaceable ? It appears to be bolted to the back of the rocker cover but under the fuel pipes.
Or is there an oil separator I am not seeing ?
Or have I missed something ?

Or any other suggestions ?
Apart from the start up smoke ( which is rare ) you never see more smoke, ie bad stem seals would show after a long idle or big back of, you don't get that .

Any help would be great. I am topping it up with 5/40W MB229.5 oil as it goes.