Sponsored by:

1st Gear Start in C

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 11:41 AM

Received 154 Likes on 109 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
1st Gear Start in C

Does anyone else's car start off in 1st when first taking off in the morning? My old E55 it was guaranteed it would always be in 2nd gear in C mode no matter what, and I can't tell if this is a new thing on my 2014 E63s. I only noticed because I had switched driving screens to the AMG readout showing the gear numbers after doing a transmission service on it and test driving after.

I park in my garage, so every morning I start it cold, reverse down the driveway, and put it into D where it will shift to 1st gear. Then, by the time I've made my first stop at a stop sign, it goes back to starting in 2nd gear. No fault codes, my level-setting was good on the service as I've done this a few times, I also measured what came out and what I put back in. Shifting is fine and quick, no issues driving whatsoever. It will continue starting in 2nd all day even after long stops, this is only first thing cold.

This just *seems* new after the service as it may be slightly more jerky on that first acceleration since I'm in 1st and dead cold vs 2nd gear. I of course ran it through gears while it was up on the lift getting it up to temp, and it gets angry when you do that, maybe I've just upset the TCU?

I did the sneaky ECU/TCU adaptation reset, no difference. All of MB's literature on the 722.9 says it should always start in 2nd, but a few sheets I read also had the *except AMG* listed so I don't know if the programming around this is different.

Should I do an overnight battery reset? Should I even be worrying?
Old 06-08-2022, 06:38 PM

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2019 GLE 63 S Coupe 2020 E 63 S
Normal when it's cold
The following users liked this post:
GinDistiller (06-08-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 04:45 PM

Received 378 Likes on 263 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
I don’t think he’s referring to the jerkiness but the gear position. Yes, it will be jerky in second when cold and some people put it in first to ameliorate the issue of what feels like a slipping manual clutch.

the gear position is likely due to your starting in a reverse position and it goes reverse in first gear (my assumption) and then once back to a forward stop, it shifts back to second when it can.

I’ve not tried this myself to see if what I’m saying holds true. My car unfortunately met a deer recently.
Old 06-09-2022, 04:52 PM

Received 154 Likes on 109 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
Originally Posted by Baltistyle
I don’t think he’s referring to the jerkiness but the gear position. Yes, it will be jerky in second when cold and some people put it in first to ameliorate the issue of what feels like a slipping manual clutch.

the gear position is likely due to your starting in a reverse position and it goes reverse in first gear (my assumption) and then once back to a forward stop, it shifts back to second when it can.

I’ve not tried this myself to see if what I’m saying holds true. My car unfortunately met a deer recently.
Yes, gear position was my main concern, the only really noticeable jerkiness was right after the TCU reset which I'm sure is more than normal. I also was thinking it could be because of reversing, since my driveway is sloped it makes sense it would reverse in 1st in that scenario. However, I shifted into drive when first starting up just to see what it did and it went into 1st in C (and I parked it in C as well the day before), so appears to definitely be cold-temp related and deliberate by the TCU. I just never paid attention to it before, but glad to know it's normal!