Dealer says oil in ecu harness causing p0420 code

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 12:43 PM

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
05 C55-gone 06 E55-gone 15 P85D 14 E63 S 11 Sonata 😅
Dealer says oil in ecu harness causing p0420 code

Hi all,

I purchased the e63 in oct that came with a bunch of issues among them the p0420 code. My local dealership says the cat was bad and it was causing the p0420 code. I ended up replacing it through them and the code didn’t go away. I took it back and now they’re saying oil in ecu harness is the cause.

now I’m thinking if I replaced the unnecessarily. $2200 and now quoting me $7k for harness replacement.

what do you think?
Old 06-10-2022, 12:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,070 Likes on 1,443 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by AMGfifty5
Hi all,

I purchased the e63 in oct that came with a bunch of issues among them the p0420 code. My local dealership says the cat was bad and it was causing the p0420 code. I ended up replacing it through them and the code didn’t go away. I took it back and now they’re saying oil in ecu harness is the cause.

now I’m thinking if I replaced the unnecessarily. $2200 and now quoting me $7k for harness replacement.

what do you think?
so AMS tuning can clone your ecu; eBay used ecu is $150-200 ... do that for ecu; harness is going to be that expensive due to the hours of work but see if they will do a good will discount
Old 06-10-2022, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
so AMS tuning can clone your ecu; eBay used ecu is $150-200 ... do that for ecu; harness is going to be that expensive due to the hours of work but see if they will do a good will discount
just seems kind of shady, like it was p0420 now replace cat. After replaced cat, oh there’s oil in harness replace harness and 02.

If they said this all in the beginning it wouldn’t seem shady to me. I brought in the car 3x they only caught the oil on the 3rd visit. The first visit was a full inspection too when they quoted a 15k service.

so it’s possible that the oil in harness is causing p0420? If that’s the case then I bet the cat was good.
Old 06-10-2022, 02:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,951 Likes on 3,108 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Seems greasy and snaky, it comes naturally for dealers.

Oil in harness is a 5 minute check that should have been done before replacing the cat.
Old 06-11-2022, 10:23 AM

Received 86 Likes on 76 Posts
2013 E550
I hope they replaced the O2 sensor first...?
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (06-23-2022)
Old 06-11-2022, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Siegmann
I hope they replaced the O2 sensor first...?

they didn’t smh. I should’ve just did that but said it was working fine
Old 06-11-2022, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 222 Posts
E63S
Is your '14 E63 80K+?...
Because:

What is the federally mandated warranty for emission controls on my car?

The Clean Air Act requires manufacturers of light-duty vehicles to provide two federal emission control warranties: (A) "Performance Warranty" and (B) "Design and Defect Warranty." These warranties are provided by the vehicle manufacturer and apply to used vehicles as well. The warranty period begins from the date of sale to the original owner.

The Performance Warranty covers repairs which are required during the first 2 years or 24,000 miles of vehicle use (whichever first occurs) because the vehicle failed an emission test. Specified major emission control components are covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles (whichever first occurs). The specified major emission control components only include the catalytic converters, the electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU), and the onboard emissions diagnostic (OBD) device or computer. If you are a resident of an area with an Inspection and Maintenance (I/M) program that meets federal guidelines, you are eligible for this warranty protection provided that:
  • Your car or light-duty truck fails an approved emissions test; and
  • Your vehicle is less than 2 years old and has less than 24,000 miles (up to 8 years/80,000 miles for certain components); and
  • Your state or local government requires that you repair the vehicle; and
  • The test failure does not result from misuse of the vehicle or a failure to follow the manufacturers’ written maintenance instructions; and
  • You present the vehicle to a warranty-authorized manufacturer representative, along with evidence of the emission test failure, during the warranty period.
Old 06-20-2022, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 BMW 335xi, 14 e63s wagon
Just my 2 cents from an oily wiring harness issue... The indy shop I use (operated by two master techs who were fed up with dealership life) was doing some engine/transmission work for me and we needed to send the car to the stealership for a TCU coding issue. The first call we got from them was that there was oil in the harness and we would first need to do the $7K harness replacement. My indy guys reacted instantly and quoted multiple service bulletins that effectively said oil in harness was a well known and documented issue but was too expensive/hard to fix on the engines (specifically M157, but many others) and MB was okay leaving the issue as the oil is non-conductive and shouldn't raise any codes. My guys said this was a nice money maker for the service depts in the past/present to just dump it on the wiring harness and have the owner replace at full cost. Just my experience, but as soon as they pushed back the service department's tone changed and they never mentioned the harness again (including recent trips to the stealership for simple issues).
Old 06-20-2022, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 131 Posts
Too many german broads
Originally Posted by idspeedskater
Just my 2 cents from an oily wiring harness issue... The indy shop I use (operated by two master techs who were fed up with dealership life) was doing some engine/transmission work for me and we needed to send the car to the stealership for a TCU coding issue. The first call we got from them was that there was oil in the harness and we would first need to do the $7K harness replacement. My indy guys reacted instantly and quoted multiple service bulletins that effectively said oil in harness was a well known and documented issue but was too expensive/hard to fix on the engines (specifically M157, but many others) and MB was okay leaving the issue as the oil is non-conductive and shouldn't raise any codes. My guys said this was a nice money maker for the service depts in the past/present to just dump it on the wiring harness and have the owner replace at full cost. Just my experience, but as soon as they pushed back the service department's tone changed and they never mentioned the harness again (including recent trips to the stealership for simple issues).
Yup, we hear it far too often here. Funny thing is, they will replace the harness, but will leave the same parts that caused the leak to begin with lol. Stupid dealers.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 222 Posts
E63S
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman
Yup, we hear it far too often here. Funny thing is, they will replace the harness, but will leave the same parts that caused the leak to begin with lol. Stupid dealers.
Stupid? Or Sneaky? wink*
Old 06-22-2022, 06:43 PM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
2014 E63s 1993 mazda rx7 on Boost
2013 S550 with 25k failed cam sensors

This just started both pass side sensor..All others are good. I just finished a brakes and said what the hell like me check just in case.at 25k i was not thinking they would failed, Good thing the owner was with me.
will check oil sensor on the pad during oil change..The was a M278.
I notice this intake pipes seem to be polished... look really nice.