Sponsored by:

Engine preventive maintenance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 09:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E63 RWD
Engine preventive maintenance

I was doing a "50K km" service and noticed this, this appears to be from the cam magnets, upon research part numbers for the o rings I came upon the cam sensor oil issue ( among the recent wiring threads ).. both driver connectors had oil in them.

so.. I have to order new o rings for the magnets, new cam sensors, what other "non maintenance" items would be good to change as preventive maintenance?

also.. did the the trans pan flush.. what do you use to read trans temp?... I have hptuners and thought I was set.. behold it would not have a channel for trans temp. did it with an infrared thermometer, hope I didn't mess up.
Old 06-13-2022, 11:42 AM

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
Get 4 new magnets, not just orings. The oil leaks past the inside of the harness connector on the magnet themselves so that will contaminate wiring too. The orings may be leaking as well but magnets come with new orings too.

The magnets on the drivers side WILL come out but it is extremely tight, proper procedure is to R&R the oil filter housing, so if you opt to do that get all the gaskets etc around the housing. If it's not leaking though you can attempt to do the magnets with it in place.

As far as trans temps go - the infrared should be just fine. I just did mine and used both my scan tool and temp gun to compare and during the entire warm up time and they were both the same. In the future though, the iCarfsoft MBII scanner is the best for this as they are around $100 and will access pretty much all the computers in the car. I have STAR too but I used the MBII a lot more since it's small and faster.
Old 06-13-2022, 12:37 PM

2014 E63 RWD
Originally Posted by GinDistiller
Get 4 new magnets, not just orings. The oil leaks past the inside of the harness connector on the magnet themselves so that will contaminate wiring too. The orings may be leaking as well but magnets come with new orings too.

The magnets on the drivers side WILL come out but it is extremely tight, proper procedure is to R&R the oil filter housing, so if you opt to do that get all the gaskets etc around the housing. If it's not leaking though you can attempt to do the magnets with it in place.

As far as trans temps go - the infrared should be just fine. I just did mine and used both my scan tool and temp gun to compare and during the entire warm up time and they were both the same. In the future though, the iCarfsoft MBII scanner is the best for this as they are around $100 and will access pretty much all the computers in the car. I have STAR too but I used the MBII a lot more since it's small and faster.
yeah I just saw in the other thread someone having a bad time changing the one behind the filter housing.. what a mess haha.

I though magnets were exempt of the oil issue.. I will check them just to be sure. Thanks for the insight and the scanner suggestion.
Old 06-13-2022, 12:54 PM

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
Yes, prepare your knuckles!

If I'm remembering correctly Mercedes has an 'updated' magnet part number that was supposed to fix the harness leaking, my 2013 GL63 had the old numbers when I replaced all 4, however my 2014 E63 had the updated number but two of the magnets were leaking into the connectors (and that was at 60k miles...) so I just did those (passenger side, lucky me!) and am watching the other two.
Old 06-13-2022, 02:04 PM

2014 E63 RWD
Originally Posted by GinDistiller
Yes, prepare your knuckles!

If I'm remembering correctly Mercedes has an 'updated' magnet part number that was supposed to fix the harness leaking, my 2013 GL63 had the old numbers when I replaced all 4, however my 2014 E63 had the updated number but two of the magnets were leaking into the connectors (and that was at 60k miles...) so I just did those (passenger side, lucky me!) and am watching the other two.
I just checked the magnets and all of them are dry, I'm going to replace the cam sensors and clean the engine around the magnets only.. I will check them every oil change.

my knuckles know the way.............

The following users liked this post:
GinDistiller (06-13-2022)
Old 06-13-2022, 03:04 PM

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
2016 E63 S AMG
[/QUOTE]
Well now you're just showing off.... lol Nice garage!!!

If you're checking for oil from sensors, don't forget the oil pressure solenoid down below. That's where the vast majority of mine was coming from that got into my harness. That's the one that's a total pain to change out though, it's inside the oil pan.
Old 06-13-2022, 03:11 PM

2014 E63 RWD
Originally Posted by JEC_E63S
Well now you're just showing off.... lol Nice garage!!!

If you're checking for oil from sensors, don't forget the oil pressure solenoid down below. That's where the vast majority of mine was coming from that got into my harness. That's the one that's a total pain to change out though, it's inside the oil pan.
Ah yes I just went thru the whole thread a few mins ago. But please enlighten me on that sensor because the connector on the sensor itself would be under oil right? so the failing part would be mini wiring to the external part?
Old 06-14-2022, 10:07 AM

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
2016 E63 S AMG
Originally Posted by LICG
Ah yes I just went thru the whole thread a few mins ago. But please enlighten me on that sensor because the connector on the sensor itself would be under oil right? so the failing part would be mini wiring to the external part?
Correct. And where the wiring from the internal sensor exits the motor to the external plug is where the oil seeps out. But I believe you have to replace the solenoid and wiring (one unit) on the inside because that is where the seal is compromised going from inside to the out. Which as you can see from the other post, means the motor is coming out in order to be able to have access to it.
Old 06-14-2022, 02:50 PM

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
12 E63 Wagon Magno Alanite Gray , 12 E63 Wagon White, 12 E63 Sedan, Lotus Elise
depending on how old your car is and miles, replace any plastic coolant fittings that are easy to get to while you're at it