W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preventative maintenance, extended warranties, etc.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4Runner
Preventative maintenance, extended warranties, etc.

As mentioned in another thread, my dad is looking to purchase a 2016 E63S soon with below 20k miles. The car seems to be in excellent condition and is having its PPI done today. I have done some research on this forum and found a few contacts to reach out to for an extended warranty, but wanted to see if anyone had any advice. I believe he has a quote from Mercedes for $10k for up to 100k miles, and apparently it's a warranty backed by Mercedes. Reading the issues on this forum makes me inclined to tell him he should just go with that.

Other than a good extended warranty, what preventative maintenance should he be looking to do from the day of purchasing? (would be very helpful if mileage was annotated with the maintenance item)

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2022, 09:50 AM

Received 181 Likes on 139 Posts
On the shoulder
Hopefully others chime in. That seems really high to me. I went with a Fidelity warranty for about $2,700, IIRC. Covered 2 years and 30k miles after my purchase, bumper to bumper. Fortunately/unfortunately, I did not use it before it expired.

You could try joining some of the MB/AMG facebook groups. There has to be someone on there that would be able to get you a good deal on a reputable warranty.

And, BTW, good on you for trying to help your dad out.
The following users liked this post:
PeterUbers (06-17-2022)
Old 06-17-2022, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,177 Likes on 619 Posts
2023 E63S Wagon
$10K seems crazy. Sounds like they are trying to gouge you.

My 2016 was a few grand at the dealer extending the official factory warranty to 160,000 kms (100k miles).

Now that it is running out this month I asked my service advisor "What aftermarket warranty companies have always approved your work and paid your invoices with no hassle?" and his reply was "1) First Canadian Protection 1-866-660-6444 and 2) Global Warranty 1-800-265-1519"

I will look up exactly how much I paid MB for the 100k warranty when I get home.
Old 06-17-2022, 01:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,951 Likes on 3,108 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by sspeer16
As mentioned in another thread, my dad is looking to purchase a 2016 E63S soon with below 20k miles. The car seems to be in excellent condition and is having its PPI done today. I have done some research on this forum and found a few contacts to reach out to for an extended warranty, but wanted to see if anyone had any advice. I believe he has a quote from Mercedes for $10k for up to 100k miles, and apparently it's a warranty backed by Mercedes. Reading the issues on this forum makes me inclined to tell him he should just go with that.

Other than a good extended warranty, what preventative maintenance should he be looking to do from the day of purchasing? (would be very helpful if mileage was annotated with the maintenance item)

Thanks!
The maintenance booklet with all the info you seek is posted on this site many times. Try the search feature.
Old 06-17-2022, 02:32 PM
SPONSOR

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts
2001 E55AMG
Hey @sspeer16 , I have helped a number of from members get extended warranties on their W212 AMG's. Because of the incredibly low miles on the vehicle, your rates from for Fidelity Platinum (top tier coverage from one of the biggest and best names in the industry) are pretty affordable.

Fidelity Platinum
48 months / additional 48k miles
$100 deductible
-$3,688
$250 deductible
-$3,483

60 months / additional 60k miles
$100 deductible
-$3,855
$250 deductible

For questions, quotes and example contracts you can reach me at (855) 924-1333 or tgibson@highline-autos.com
lampeater (06-18-2022)
Old 06-17-2022, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,177 Likes on 619 Posts
2023 E63S Wagon
My extended warranty from dealer was CAD$3590 and took it to 100k miles (160,000 kms)

I just got two quotes for aftermarket past 160,000 kms:

48 Months/80,000KM - CAD$2199 includes all mechanical things or

24 Months/40,000KM - CAD$1999 includes pretty much everything embumper to bumper including electronic modules, hybrid parts, solenoids door locks GPS etc etc etc

I have to read through it more before I decide. I’ll check out Fidelity too not sure if you do Canada, calling now!

Old 06-17-2022, 04:30 PM

Received 154 Likes on 110 Posts
2016 E63s
It's my understanding that if it's not a CPO vehicle the warranty will NOT be an MB ELW. And I'd be surprised if dealers are CPO'ing a 6 year old car, especially an AMG.

My guess is the dealer is offering a 3rd party warranty. Regardless the Fidelity warranty from what I've read is really good and low hassle so that's they way to go.
Old 06-17-2022, 11:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4Runner
Thanks all. My dad decided to not move forward with this car, but I will definitely be looking to get more quotes when he decides the car he wants. I did get a very good quote for a Fidelity Platinum package for under $6k, 7 yr/100k miles.

Originally Posted by chassis
The maintenance booklet with all the info you seek is posted on this site many times. Try the search feature.
I think you misunderstood. I am looking for some kind of outline of preventative maintenance items and what mileage to replace, not the routine maintenance.
chassis (06-18-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 12:29 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,070 Likes on 1,443 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Thanks all. My dad decided to not move forward with this car, but I will definitely be looking to get more quotes when he decides the car he wants. I did get a very good quote for a Fidelity Platinum package for under $6k, 7 yr/100k miles.

I think you misunderstood. I am looking for some kind of outline of preventative maintenance items and what mileage to replace, not the routine maintenance.
turbo lines, cps sensors, oil solenoid, coil packs, plugs, several threads on all these
Old 06-18-2022, 01:07 AM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
2014 E63S AMG
I paid $2,800 for a Fidelity Platinum warranty with 5 years/ additional 60k mile coverage 4 years ago.
Old 06-18-2022, 12:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,070 Likes on 1,443 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Can I get a fidelity on my 2014 with 45k miles you think? Or is it too late
Old 06-18-2022, 02:49 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 AMG E63 S212 | 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4
2014 E63s Wagon 4matic
Purchased 72,000mi (June 2021)
Currently 96,000mi

First i did the panic search, which is what you're doing. The 'what are big ticket items' or 'where is my IMS bearing failure.. every car is a 911' i get it. The worst thing about these cars is they cost 40-50k to buy, and they are 140k cars when you take them to the dealer. I had purchased mine with doing all my own wrenching for maintenance in mind. I also purchased a warranty (Enterprise Financial Group via Mercedes of Shrewsbury/Wagner Motors) that was to cover the entire car. Original price was 7,000 for a 5year/75kmi warranty. I was able to haggle it to 3500, this was mid covid.

Before i got the car, i checked the major failure points and expensive maintenance items;
- Check airmatic bags. Make sure the sleeves are good, not cracked. Make sure you don't see grease. They should look pretty clean.
- Driver side front control arm, check the bushing. It fails, REGUARLLY. (more on this later)
- Get depth and age on tires
- Check rotors and pads. Rotors aint cheap (more later).

All that checked out good for me, i knew the rotors had some wave to them and i planned to replace them. What i then did over the past year is every ounce of maintenance on the car.
- Transmission fluid and filter change (240 @ fcp euro)
- Intake filter change (i wanna say i paid under 200 for a K&N reusable set)
- Full brake bleed (~40-50 in brake fluid)
- Full Brake job (Rotors + pads + sensors came to about 1100 shipped)
- Rear differential fluid swap (200ish @ fcp euro)
- New tires after the past year (1100 Conti DWS30 all seasons)
- New plugs (12$ a plug)
All of the work above was performed by me and a friend who has a lift. My original plan was to just get some quick jacks (about 1k) to do them at home, but he bought the shop right after I bought the car so it worked out. So labor cost me a few cases of water and a couple of ounces of herb.

Overall i had a few things break on me however. It wasn't always smooth sailing.
- Clips for plugs; They're plastic, in a hot engine bay, and 8 years old. They break. Thermal tape for wiring looms works really well at keeping them in place. The little clips go bad, you can replace them... im sure i'll catch crap from someone for this lol. Anyway, i found this because i had a misfire, and it was just a bad contact.
- Keyless Go; oh man... shorts. One of my doors (driver rear) wont unlock on touch, and my rear kick sensor doesnt work. Otherwise. its fine.
- Camera system; again, shorts. every so often the cameras will just not work. They fix themselves.
- Distronic & Driver Assistances; again, electrical gremlins. 8 years old. is what it is.
- Front Differential Pinion Seal; started to leak, i used warranty on this. Cost me 129 for diagnostic, and 100$ deductible.
- Valve cover gasket leak; this was actually found by MB dealer locally while I was having work done on the above pinion seal, this work was completed in the same warranty claim. No additional cost.
- Driver side front lower control arm 'aka Lower Cross Strut' - failed. was good on purchase, broke about 8k miles after. I went with a Movetec part, if you check my post history there are a few threads i've posted on about it. Cost me 190$.
- Passenger Side tail light housing is now a fish tank; luckily this is cheap.... i can drain and epoxy or i can just replace it for <200$ brand new.
- Coolant level temperature too low; as with the like... 3 threads from last week, i too have a thermometer throwing errors... not sure if i want to do it or have dealer do it yet... i just clear the code, its broken in the open position so.

Long story short, ****s going to break. I say buy the warranty, get gap insurance, and don't be afraid to wrench them. It's just a car. It's not a flying saucer. They sell the documentation software for all the repair manuals on ebay, its like 15$. I bought a copy, well worth the money.

Last edited by Krakenjack; 06-18-2022 at 03:21 PM.
PeterUbers (06-18-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,070 Likes on 858 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by NoVAe63s
It's my understanding that if it's not a CPO vehicle the warranty will NOT be an MB ELW. And I'd be surprised if dealers are CPO'ing a 6 year old car, especially an AMG.

My guess is the dealer is offering a 3rd party warranty. Regardless the Fidelity warranty from what I've read is really good and low hassle so that's they way to go.
CPO is different than ELW. CPO can only come from an MB dealer on a used vehicle that goes through the certification process. An ELW is an extended warranty from MB and cannot be added to a CPO vehicle. ELW can only be added to a vehicle if it is within the factory warranty timeframe and will cover the vehicle up to 100k miles and a total of 7 years. CPO can be added by an MB dealership as long as the vehicle is less than 6 years old with less than 75,000 miles and meets the requirements. The unlimited mileage warranty for up to 3 additional years is nice on the CPO coverage if you drive a lot. ELW is the better warranty but does not cover the vehicle as long. CPO leaves much to be desired. I'm typically surprised at what they don't cover.
Old 06-18-2022, 03:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,951 Likes on 3,108 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC

Right, this information is in the maintenance booklet. Please have a read through.

Beyond that it's the normal stuff that should be replaced on any vehicle you have driven before.