Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 10:39 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 AMG E63 S212 | 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4
Misfire Cyl 5 issue

2014MY 4Matic Wagon
108,000 miles

Yesterday I got a misfire while under sustained heavy load (tipple digit speeds somewhere in Mexico for 10+ miles, not a load the car sees often) and started throwing a CEL and i could feel the misfire in my pedal. I was unable to maintain speed. Once I pulled over, the idle was also rough. I shut the car off, waited about 20 seconds or so, started it back up and not only did it not misfire, the CEL went away and changed to a stored code.

I have had 2 previous misfire events;

1 - I installed new plugs, the next day i got a misfire, and assumed it was related to the ignition coil connector being lose. The little plastic clips are busted so...

2 - I had a valve cover leak, this got repaired, and right after i had the same issue. They removed the thermal tape i had on the coil pack holding the connector in place... so after reseating it and taping it down - it looked good and has run fine.

Now, i will say - the tape isn't there anymore... meaning im buying clips... (does anyone know where to get replacement clips for those stupid connectors... the little gray part) but i threw tape on it and was able to drive home w/o issue (about 90 miles)

I'm at about 19k since plugs, so going to throw a new set in this weekend, and replace the coil pack as well for that cylinder. I did some googling.. .and webMD'ed myself into thinking i have cancer, there are ALOT of threads about other 63 AMGs with the M157 having Cyl 5 scoring issues at +60k miles. I wanted to know if anyone else has seen something like this. I am already working on booking a leakdown test at the local MB dealer, as those threads have me fearing valve leaks. Again, just kind of looking to see if anyones had something similar specifically with an e63s.

Old 08-25-2022, 10:54 AM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
2014 E63s 1993 mazda rx7 on Boost
I think you should be fine with the plugs and coils.

are you tuned?
I would skip the leak down test. Take the funds and invest of a good scope, next time you pull the plugs take a look for yourself what the walls look like.
The fact that the car is driving good means everything is in spec. I lost my gray clip to one of my cam sensors when I was changing due to internal oil leak. That is something you should check also. It will cause a CEL 4 cam and 4 mangets. I found both of my exhaust sensors were starting to go damp nut I changed all 4.
Old 08-25-2022, 11:14 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 AMG E63 S212 | 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4
Originally Posted by sunil517
are you tuned?
I would skip the leak down test. Take the funds and invest of a good scope, next time you pull the plugs take a look for yourself what the walls look like.
The fact that the car is driving good means everything is in spec. I lost my gray clip to one of my cam sensors when I was changing due to internal oil leak. That is something you should check also. It will cause a CEL 4 cam and 4 mangets. I found both of my exhaust sensors were starting to go damp nut I changed all 4.
I was already checking out some of the nicer ones over at harbor freight lol - but okay ill go that route first.

One of the other things im worried about is im also getting the "engine temps are lower than expected" warning - meaning my thermostat is stuck open, however i've also seen thats electrical gremlin related, so i am going to be checking all my sensor plugs for oil seepage aswell...

edit: also full stock.
Old 08-25-2022, 12:47 PM

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts
2013 CL 63, 2002 E 55, 04 Jaguar XJ8, 66 Jaguar XKE
.and webMD'ed myself into thinking i have cancer,

Thanks for the laugh. I did the same think with a tapping noise that is nothing but the high pressure fuel injectors. I was ready to tear down to the cams looking for failed tappets or cams. Stepped back from the ledge and all is well.

I agree with the responses to your post. If you had a permanent issue (cylinder scouring) it would be a persistent miss. I bought a scope from amazon that connects via wifi to your phone. Seems to work pretty well. Good Luck.

Last edited by mbwillgrubs; 08-25-2022 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-25-2022, 04:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 ML63s
I had a to replace an injector in mine