Sponsored by:

Strange 'blowing' noise after few minutes of idle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E63 AMG W212
Smile Strange 'blowing' noise after few minutes of idle

Hi all! This is my first post/thread on MBWorld so I'm not really sure how to navigate the forums all that much.

In any case, I've had this vehicle for a few months now and have been doing some much needed maintenance. Incase my bio wont show it, it's a 2010 E63 AMG with the 6.2L V8 M156 motor.
The following is a rundown of what I've done or had done to the vehicle so far, as well as to provide some background knowledge:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before I bought vehicle, info from CarFAX report / Recent maintenance done by previous owner
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  1. Cabin Air Filter replaced ~60,000 miles.
  2. Brake fluid flushed ~60,000 miles.
  3. Spark plugs replaced ~66,000 miles.
  4. Engine mounts and Transmission mounts needed to be done. This was explicitly stated in a service record from previous owner.

~67,500 miles
  1. Left & Right Motor mounts replaced. Part #s: 212 240 49 17 ; 212 240 50 17
  2. Engine oil done & Filter replaced (LiquiMoly Leichtlauft High Tech SAE 5W40)
  3. Differential fluid flushed. Transmission fluid replaced, trans filter replaced.
  4. Transmission mount replaced. Part #: 212 240 10 18
  5. Driver side airbox was missing MAF Sensor beauty cover, which was purchased and installed. Part #: 156 094 00 14
  6. Opened Passenger-side valve cover, inspected camshaft, camshaft lobes, bucket tappets for wear, as well as new-style headbolts.
    1. No sign of any significant wear found. Very clean lubrication inside engine head.
    2. Head bolts were in fact replaced with the new style E-Torx head shaped bolts, this was apparently done during a 2011 service done in March of that year. See below.
"Vehicle serviced
Battery/charging system checked
Engine checked
Cylinder head gasket(s) replaced
Battery replaced
Inside rear view mirror replaced
Drivability/performance checked
Oil and filter changed"
Work performed by:
Mercedes-Benz of Scottsdale
Scottsdale, AZ, circa 2011 (Under first owner)

~67,800 miles
  1. All four tires replaced for all seasons (I live in NJ).
  • Old Tires (Front): Michelin Super Sport 255 [Had inner tread wear, needed immediate replacing)
  • Old Tires (Rear): Continental ExtremeContact 285
  • New Tires (Front): Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 All Season 255
  • New Tires (Rear): Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 All Season 285

~68,000 miles
  1. Engine thermostat replaced & Coolant drained/flushed.
  2. Primary car Battery replaced. Old battery was an Optima Yellowtop DH6 Gel battery which would not hold a charge. Occasionally needed to jump start the vehicle (Did this about 2 or 3 times by now since becoming owner of the vehicle) SmartKey fob would occasionally not lock the vehicle, so would need to get back inside the car, start it again, shut it off, exit, and finally lock successfully. This was a nuisance therefore ultimately replaced with Duralast Platinum AGM battery of the same group size.
  3. Cabin Air Filter purchased & replaced with Mahle OEM filter.
Noticing whistling noise emanating from vehicle's firewall.
Squeaking/chirping noise from accessory belt after thermostat replacement.
According to the following MB Diagnostic Trouble Bulletin:
"DTB S-B-01.20/24 FEB09 ML63, C63, CLK63, E63, CL63, CLS63, S63, SL63, and R63 up to engine # 156698x 60 022000
- whistling sound from the engine compartment (in the area of the firewall) the cause may be a malfunctioning diaphragm in the pressure-regulating valve.
The sound can also be heard for up to several seconds after the engine is switched off. The sound goes away when the engine dipstick is removed.
To resolve, the valve is replaced.”
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------~68,200 miles (current)---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Noticed the sound from the above bulletin was getting louder the longer I waited. Decided to book an appointment & take it in to the dealer for a multi point & 70,000 mile interval inspection.
  1. PCV Breather pipe replaced. Part #: 156 010 03 70
  2. Upper coolant hose replaced. Part #: 212 500 01 75
  3. 3 Idle pulleys replaced. Part #s: 137 202 01 19; 156 202 06 19; 156 202 08 19.
  4. V-belt/serpentine belt replaced Part #: 001 993 83 96
  5. Coolant flushed again. Part #: Q 6 88 0187

Now, to the issue:

The above issues seem to have been resolved somewhat, since I no longer hear the vacuum blow-off noise coming from the firewall anymore after shutting the vehicle off nor do I hear the annoying chirping sound coming from the belt/pulleys. But what I STILL DO hear is after the engine warms up to temperature, a different pitched blowing noise seems to occur after about 3 - 5 minutes. It starts of kind of quiet and gets a little louder. I don't think it is the radiator fan because I don't see it spinning, and the temperature gauges seem to be showing the normal ranges (I know we can't always trust those readings but it's better than none at all, but let's even assume a margin of error of 5-8 degrees F).

I wouldn't think the new V-Belt would need to be broken into shape by the pulleys, would it? Even if so, that shouldn't be causing a blowing noise.

Apart from the expected loud fuel injector noises of this motor, I don't hear any 'ticking' or 'rattling' noise at all so I don't believe it to be the valvetrain/sticking tappets or anything of that nature.

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. I will also try to upload an audio segment (maybe video) of the issue when I get the chance.

Thanks in advance,

​​​​​​​
Old 01-12-2023, 01:46 PM

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
This sure sounds like a normal cooling fan cycle, especially since you say it doesn't make this noise until the car is warmed up to temp. You'll never see the temp gauge climb above normal unless there is a problem, so don't expect to see it rise along with the activation of a higher fan speed. I'm assuming you are in AZ because of the dealer that did work, so warm climates in addition to the AC being will make the fan more active. I haven't looked at a diagram of your model year but there may be more than one fan so seeing one that isn't moving isn't strange either. Can you hear it while driving at higher speeds or just when stopped? If it goes away when you get moving that is also normal since the flowing outside air catches the system up and it will slow down or deactivate the fan.

If you want to narrow this down, I would locate the relays for the fan(s) and temporarily pull them, see if your noise goes away. If it does then you know that is all it is, if it doesn't you can start looking elsewhere. There should be diagrams online showing where they are, just a few minutes to test this. That's what I would do at least.

Hope this helps!
The following users liked this post:
PeterUbers (01-12-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E63 AMG W212
Hi GinDistiller & thank you for the reply.

So I don't live in AZ, the car is originally from AZ but I and currently, the car, are in NJ. Temperatures around here vary between 40-50F, so I'm not keeping the AC on, which kind of rules that part of it out. However, you were in fact right about the sound getting seemingly quieter when the car is in motion. I did notice that the sound is less audible/gets fainter when I am driving the vehicle. In fact, I barely hear the sound at all when driving even at speeds as low as 10 mph. Even pulled up to a complete stop at a red light and I was not able to hear it with the driver and front passenger-side windows rolled down. But when in park, and the engine on idle, after about a minute or two you can hear the 'blowing' sound come from what almost sounds like the bottom of the engine bay. Could this have something to do with the crankcase ventilation system, or the breather pipe that I had just replaced? Although being a relatively new AMG owner, especially of the 156; I never heard a sound like this on so I'm not sure if this is how it's supposed to sound or if I'm just over-reacting and it really could just be a 'byproduct' sound of the whole cooling cycle. In any case, I have captured a quick video of the motor idling and emitting the strange noise. At the time of this recording, I had left the heat on in the car to about ~72 F at the number '2' setting, I had driven the car back home from work (About a ~10 mile drive). Apologize for the poor video quality in advance.

I've yet to try pulling the relays for the fans so I will probably try and do that this weekend, the diagram for the fuse box is below (More of a quick-reference point for myself)

Fuse slot #75 --- Valid for engine 156: Oil cooler fan motor relay --- 25 Amp --- Part # 001 500 60 93

Thanks,
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_1259 (1).mov (1.07 MB, 16 views)

Last edited by noob101lol; 01-13-2023 at 07:57 PM. Reason: More information added. Clarification on some things, etc.
Old 01-27-2023, 08:50 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2011 e63 AMG
I think I am experiencing the same sort of issue - not even sure if it IS an issue. However, every time I shut the car off, a pretty loud fan type noise remains for about 30-60 seconds afterwards. It happens even if I just crank the car and then turn it right off again. At first I thought it was the radiator fan running, but I popped the hood and listened, and that fan is not running at all. The noise seems to be coming from behind the headlight on the passenger side? Does anybody have any idea what could be causing it? There are not codes, no warning lights, nothing, and the car seems to be running and driving as expected. Its just this loud fan noise is throwing me off.
Old 01-27-2023, 09:08 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,040 Likes on 1,422 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by UncleSnakeE63
I think I am experiencing the same sort of issue - not even sure if it IS an issue. However, every time I shut the car off, a pretty loud fan type noise remains for about 30-60 seconds afterwards. It happens even if I just crank the car and then turn it right off again. At first I thought it was the radiator fan running, but I popped the hood and listened, and that fan is not running at all. The noise seems to be coming from behind the headlight on the passenger side? Does anybody have any idea what could be causing it? There are not codes, no warning lights, nothing, and the car seems to be running and driving as expected. Its just this loud fan noise is throwing me off.
this is normal. Headlights have a ventilation system ... I've had these sounds since I bought the car new in 2014

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ing-noise.html
UncleSnakeE63 (01-27-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 09:09 AM

2011 e63 AMG
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
this is normal. Headlights have a ventilation system ... I've had these sounds since I bought the car new in 2014

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ing-noise.html
Should it be somewhat loud? And the damn headlights have a ventilation system on this thing?!? What the heck?
Old 01-27-2023, 09:12 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,040 Likes on 1,422 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by UncleSnakeE63
Should it be somewhat loud? And the damn headlights have a ventilation system on this thing?!? What the heck?
to me sounds like tornado sirens
UncleSnakeE63 (01-27-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 09:13 AM

2011 e63 AMG
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
to me sounds like tornado sirens
Yup. Thats the noise lol. Ok I can stop worrying about it then. Thanks for the info!
PeterUbers (01-27-2023)