W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63

E63 Open Dump Downpipe? What is that?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2023 | 07:40 PM

E63 AMG S
E63 Open Dump Downpipe? What is that?

Can someone explain what an open dump downpipe is? I get catless and high flow, but how does a dowpipe dump exhaust gases?
I don't see any parts listed for an E63 AMG that is an open dump downpipe but it sounds absolutely crazy to me.

View this post on Instagram
Old 10-13-2023 | 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 SL600
Instead of dumping the wastegste into the exhaust, it is dumped into an open pipe to the atmosphere close to the engine, only loud when the gate is bypassing the turbo.
Old 10-14-2023 | 10:49 AM

2019 911 GTS / 2016 X3 / 2015 E63s / 1993 RX-7
Having had a EWG that dumps to the atmosphere, it gets old very quickly!

Bonus, you can get flames pouring out underneath the car. You will scare children when the WG opens up as you blow by cars. There is no doubt when the WG is open, and the noise is very distinct.

I much appreciate having the EGW plumbed back into the DP. It was so loud/obnoxious that I often kept the throttle at a point to stay below making full boost (have the WG open/control the boost).

Old 10-14-2023 | 01:15 PM

E63 AMG S
Originally Posted by thesaintusa
Having had a EWG that dumps to the atmosphere, it gets old very quickly!

Bonus, you can get flames pouring out underneath the car. You will scare children when the WG opens up as you blow by cars. There is no doubt when the WG is open, and the noise is very distinct.

I much appreciate having the EGW plumbed back into the DP. It was so loud/obnoxious that I often kept the throttle at a point to stay below making full boost (have the WG open/control the boost).
Thanks for sharing your experience. I can see it getting annoying quick. Sounds as loud if not louder than a cat less exhaust and probably even louder given the fact the the exhaust dumps closer to the driver and passenger sides.
Old 10-14-2023 | 03:10 PM

But just imagine the twin flames coming out from the bottom of the car.
Old 10-14-2023 | 03:11 PM

E63 AMG S
Originally Posted by thesaintusa
But just imagine the twin flames coming out from the bottom of the car.
Could you link the part that would fit the m157 E63 AMG? Couldn’t find any unless it goes by a different name.
Old 10-14-2023 | 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S
I don't think the "Open dump DP" set up is the same as EWG.
The E63 in the IG Reel sounds different idling. If it was EWG, it would sound stock at idle. I think that car has cut outs at the midpipes.
I had EWG in my Blob eye WRX. There was talks over at NASIOC about how "EWG plumbed back into exhaust path would make less power" (or some adverse effect). I used to love it! Made all the right turbo noises.... I just got too old to be that rice
Old 10-15-2023 | 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rehabguy
The E63 in the IG Reel sounds different idling. If it was EWG, it would sound stock at idle. I think that car has cut outs at the midpipes.
I had EWG in my Blob eye WRX. There was talks over at NASIOC about how "EWG plumbed back into exhaust path would make less power" (or some adverse effect). I used to love it! Made all the right turbo noises.... I just got too old to be that rice
You are correct, I misread this.

Like @Rehabguy I too also had a Blob eye WRX STi. At idle it was exactly the same. It was only louder when the wastegate (external) was open.

Those cutouts are likely at the midpipe level, or just before.
Old 10-16-2023 | 08:55 AM

E63 AMG S
Originally Posted by Rehabguy
Here's the other two I've seen and sound kinda similar.

Last edited by Tooken; 10-16-2023 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-16-2023 | 03:37 PM

E63 AMG S
Also just found out that the open dump downpipes was just the muffler/resonators removed, probably for adding in different downpipes or something, but I'm wondering how I could get this turbo spool and aggressive tone without having a cutout after the downpipes. If I do a full exhaust, it'll mess up that tone still.
Old 10-19-2023 | 10:23 PM

2007 e350 sport. 2010 350 4matic sport. Worlds first W212 E63R self built.
Originally Posted by Tooken
Also just found out that the open dump downpipes was just the muffler/resonators removed, probably for adding in different downpipes or something, but I'm wondering how I could get this turbo spool and aggressive tone without having a cutout after the downpipes. If I do a full exhaust, it'll mess up that tone still.

increase exhaust size . Stock size is under sized for our power especially when tuned even more when big turbo is added . I've done extensive research for my own data plus when creating the first true 3.5 inch exhaust for the m157. With Redstar dp Catless and the back half stock like 80% of us have done. The Exhuast suffered over 3 to 1 back pressure ratio with running 33 psi, or 18.5 when your not using absolute mani pressure. My point is if you open up the exhaust to a true 3" from dp to the muffler using a 3" straight through, you will not only get the fantastic turbo spool sound, and aggressive sound at WOT you will also remove back pressure increase efficiency and gain some power. The muffler choice is vital in how you want your car to sound some mufflers being able to control sound better then others.