Sponsored by:

Coolant color change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 10:49 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63 S Wagon
Coolant color change

I have a earlyish (Dec 2013 build) MY14 E63 wagon. Did the usual 5K mile oil change yesterday, checked all my suspension bushes and fluids, and then noticed my coolant changed from blue to gold. First thing I thought about was blown head gasket and combustion vapors... Bought the typical Lisle kit (my advance auto didn't have one to rent...weak). Checked it as per instructions this AM.... had good vacuum source, nice bubbles all the way through the test, good seal, did the test 3 times consecutively to make sure I'm not losing my mind - no color change with the test fluid.

Long story short... why did it change color? No change in operating temps, level may have dropped slightly, but nothing that would give me worry, 8 oz or less, but that's happened through my ownership before. I've had this car for 3.5 years, but I've never replaced the coolant. Is this the car telling me the coolant's effective life is used up? Next step is probably a flush and fluid replacement, then monitoring., unless someone has a similar experience and knows something's up.

Do some coolants change color based on time and heat cycles? I did not put that gold looking fluid back in the reservoir, I replaced it with fresh OE MB fluid and de-ionized h20. Thanks in advance.

test fluid color after 3 consecutive tests

this photo looks worse than it was in the beginning. Originally I dumped the nasty looking coolant into a used mobil 1 bottle - then realized I didn't take a photo... still captures the hue but it was considerably clearer
Old 11-05-2023, 12:57 PM

Received 80 Likes on 51 Posts
C63 W204 / E63S W212 / E63S W212
Thats coolant mixing with oil, sorry for bad news but its going to be labor intensive.

I would guess its the molded seal behind the timing cover. Mercedes states vehicles up to Dec 2013 build date are affected.

Stop using the car or you will damage bearings and possibly the cylinder walls.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...2&gad_source=1
Old 11-05-2023, 01:18 PM

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts
E63 AMG
OP, what’s your mileage?
Old 11-05-2023, 01:34 PM

2014 E63 S Wagon
Originally Posted by CZ 75
OP, what’s your mileage?
135,500 ish
Old 11-05-2023, 01:36 PM

2014 E63 S Wagon
Originally Posted by timm206
Thats coolant mixing with oil, sorry for bad news but its going to be labor intensive.

I would guess its the molded seal behind the timing cover. Mercedes states vehicles up to Dec 2013 build date are affected.

Stop using the car or you will damage bearings and possibly the cylinder walls.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mer...2&gad_source=1
thanks Tim, that stinks, as its my only vehicle.... i will need to get something arranged asap.... at least now i know
The following users liked this post:
timm206 (11-11-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 03:05 PM

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts
2013 CL 63, 2002 E 55, 04 Jaguar XJ8, 66 Jaguar XKE
You could do an oil analysis and that would verify fluid transfer before you tackle a big job. Again, I would double check to make sure.
Old 11-05-2023, 03:13 PM

2014 E63 S Wagon
Originally Posted by mbwillgrubs
You could do an oil analysis and that would verify fluid transfer before you tackle a big job. Again, I would double check to make sure.
The absence of an emulsion makes me think something else could be going on.

either way i will make calls and have the car looked at tomorrow.

Old 11-05-2023, 07:52 PM

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts
2006 cls 55 amg
I too would expect to see the "milk shake" if it were oil. How about this long shot....original water pump has plastic impeller, many replacement units are steel impeller, with 135k miles, probably a replacement, As the water pump bearings on these pumps wear the pulley starts riding out, you can see it by looking at the contact patch between the belt and the pulley, if it rides out enough the impeller will rub on pump housing releasing aluminum and steel into the coolant pretty quickly possibly changing the color (iron oxide)...
lampeater (11-06-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 08:04 PM

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts
2006 cls 55 amg
also: sad about your issue but happy to hear about another m157 engine with 135k miles
CZ 75 (11-05-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 09:26 PM

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts
E63 AMG
Originally Posted by a1bray
I too would expect to see the "milk shake" if it were oil. How about this long shot....original water pump has plastic impeller, many replacement units are steel impeller, with 135k miles, probably a replacement, As the water pump bearings on these pumps wear the pulley starts riding out, you can see it by looking at the contact patch between the belt and the pulley, if it rides out enough the impeller will rub on pump housing releasing aluminum and steel into the coolant pretty quickly possibly changing the color (iron oxide)...
Dang, didn’t even think of that. Glad I changed my wp out earlier in the year.
Old 11-06-2023, 01:46 AM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
'14 E63S, '00 E430, '07 C230
Originally Posted by CZ 75
Dang, didn’t even think of that. Glad I changed my wp out earlier in the year.
Did mine once I hit 100k along with all my pulleys, belt, and thermostat as preventative maintenance. But did notice that my pulley was starting to walk out too.
Old 11-06-2023, 05:25 AM
SPONSOR

Received 377 Likes on 227 Posts
11 E550, 16 AMG GTS, 13 S550
hey, mechanic here

old coolant just looks like that. The corrosion inhibitors start going out, and the stuff isn't as efficient anymore at the 10 year mark which is exactly when you changed it. The lifespan of the fluid is 10 years IIRC but that figure can change WILDLY depending on how hard you work it. Carry on.

If you have a cast-iron block car the coolant starts to turn into mud over a period of time as the inhibitors start to give out. This is the much kinder version of that.

Heres some old coolant which is doing what I said it does. The Mercedes stuff turns into a sweet tea color exactly as you've shown, it's picking up corrosion from.. whatevers in there. I'm not a metallurgist and it's late but you're FINE.

Chris Tran, Service Manager/Owner
Amsoil Independent Dealer #7236674
The following 2 users liked this post by ChrisHimself:
mbwillgrubs (11-06-2023), MerchantM5arine (11-06-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 11:17 AM

2014 E63 S Wagon
Originally Posted by ChrisHimself
hey, mechanic here

old coolant just looks like that. The corrosion inhibitors start going out, and the stuff isn't as efficient anymore at the 10 year mark which is exactly when you changed it. The lifespan of the fluid is 10 years IIRC but that figure can change WILDLY depending on how hard you work it. Carry on.

If you have a cast-iron block car the coolant starts to turn into mud over a period of time as the inhibitors start to give out. This is the much kinder version of that.

Heres some old coolant which is doing what I said it does. The Mercedes stuff turns into a sweet tea color exactly as you've shown, it's picking up corrosion from.. whatevers in there. I'm not a metallurgist and it's late but you're FINE.
Thanks for the reply Chris. Also because my car does sit for extended period of time (merchant mariner) I wonder about fluid sitting dormant, not circulating. I just fired up the heater in the car the other morning, maybe some nasty fluid sitting in that circuit that was being bypassed for months? Looking back in my records I don't in fact believe the coolant was ever replaced... seems about time....
Old 11-06-2023, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 685 Likes on 465 Posts
04 E55 AMG (totaled), 07 S550 4Matic, 14 E63S
Blackstone ASAP.
Old 11-06-2023, 05:24 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by MerchantM5arine
Thanks for the reply Chris. Also because my car does sit for extended period of time (merchant mariner) I wonder about fluid sitting dormant, not circulating. I just fired up the heater in the car the other morning, maybe some nasty fluid sitting in that circuit that was being bypassed for months? Looking back in my records I don't in fact believe the coolant was ever replaced... seems about time....
just change it and pull samples, the color is the best way to determine coolant health. The color represents the ability for the coolant to hold heat, lubricate, keep seals fresh, and replacing it puts less stress on the oil, which is the engines first line of defense against heat.

this is a headbolt failure with an obvious head gasket failure. Itll leak combustion into the cooling system and propel oil and pressure into everything and push this mixture of stuff into everything. You would see it in your oil, coolant, and youd be misfiring quite badly immediately. This is not a catastrophic failure. Cars totally fine.

oh and if your car sits for months please use a fuel stabilizer the water buildup/separation in fuel can hurt/corrode the metal parts of the fuel pump over time, cause injectors to stick, etc. it's just a safe precaution

https://www.amsoil.com/p/gasoline-st...st/?zo=7236674

Old 11-06-2023, 05:33 PM

2014 E63 S Wagon
just change it and pull samples, the color is the best way to determine coolant health. The color represents the ability for the coolant to hold heat, lubricate, keep seals fresh, and replacing it puts less stress on the oil, which is the engines first line of defense against heat.

this is a headbolt failure with an obvious head gasket failure. Itll leak combustion into the cooling system and propel oil and pressure into everything and push this mixture of stuff into everything. You would see it in your oil, coolant, and youd be misfiring quite badly immediately. This is not a catastrophic failure. Cars totally fine.

oh and if your car sits for months please use a fuel stabilizer the water buildup/separation in fuel can hurt/corrode the metal parts of the fuel pump over time, cause injectors to stick, etc. it's just a safe precaution

https://www.amsoil.com/p/gasoline-st...st/?zo=7236674
Been using ACES IV for years... good product. Brian is a Tribologist and loves to talk. If you ever wanted to nerd out with someone over additives and fluids he's your man, his company is BND automotive. Apparently he's quite popular with the mopar crowd.

Called my Indy today and they are backed up 3 weeks with work. Discussed this over the phone and he confirmed I should flush out the coolant and replace with fresh. I also ordered a blackstone coolant sample kit, just curious to see what a lab would say.
Old 11-06-2023, 05:39 PM
SPONSOR

im backed up 2 weeks, tell me about it

its kind of messy to attempt doing it yourself especially if you don't want to. You can wait 3 weeks. coolant gets much much worse than that

Old 11-06-2023, 06:20 PM

2014 E63 S Wagon
im backed up 2 weeks, tell me about it

its kind of messy to attempt doing it yourself especially if you don't want to. You can wait 3 weeks. coolant gets much much worse than that

I'm not worried about the mess, I got the house to myself this weekend, perfect time to get this done, I appreciate the responses, many thanks.
The following 2 users liked this post by MerchantM5arine:
CZ 75 (11-06-2023), mbwillgrubs (11-08-2023)