Sponsored by:

Potential steering issue rwd UK W212 E63 S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2024, 04:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2018 C63s Estate, 2017 gla 45 [Sold] 2017 smart 44 brabus sport [for the Mrs]
Potential steering issue rwd UK W212 E63 S

Hi all, a bit of a random one. A couple of weeks ago I was driving my e63 at low speed with the windows down and I am pretty sure I heard a twang and snap which seemed to come from the front of the car somewhere. Since then I'm pretty sure the steering though accurate feels really light without feel, the car turns fine and a very good mechanic has had a good look at it and hasn't found any issues

Would anyone happen to know if part of the mechanism that gives the steering it's weight Is easy enough to check and fix if needed or is it a big job.

Old 06-18-2024, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,372 Likes on 2,244 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
Originally Posted by right_mr
Hi all, a bit of a random one. A couple of weeks ago I was driving my e63 at low speed with the windows down and I am pretty sure I heard a twang and snap which seemed to come from the front of the car somewhere. Since then I'm pretty sure the steering though accurate feels really light without feel, the car turns fine and a very good mechanic has had a good look at it and hasn't found any issues

Would anyone happen to know if part of the mechanism that gives the steering it's weight Is easy enough to check and fix if needed or is it a big job.
Your steering inspection revealed nothing wrong. Good so your car is safe!

Something similar happened to me on the way home driving through small road pavement sight.

Comprehensive damages resulted:
  1. front control arms (BJ!)
  2. lower ball-joint
  3. front ball bearings
  4. (Stab links not bad)
  5. (struts + bearings): bad!
  6. (Tie rods ok for now)

Parts are cheap to restore good driveability.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 06-18-2024 at 04:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
right_mr (06-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 10:19 AM

Thanks , the inspection was of the components connecting the wheel to the car etc but not any other electronic/ electrical parts relating to the power steering. The steering is completely weightless in any driving mode, so I wonder if there's a component that gives it weight that is not functioning ?

Now maybe because I've been driving my m3 e93 a lot that I've got used to it's steering but I was driving the e63 a fair bit and never thought 'oh its got really light steering', it's always had some weight and feel, that's all gone now since the noise I heard (ofcourse I could be suffering from confirmation bias)
Old 06-20-2024, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
Your steering inspection revealed nothing wrong. Good so your car is safe!

Something similar happened to me on the way home driving through small road pavement sight.

Comprehensive damages resulted:
  1. front control arms (BJ!)
  2. lower ball-joint
  3. front ball bearings
  4. (Stab links not bad)
  5. (struts + bearings): bad!
  6. (Tie rods ok for now)

Parts are cheap to restore good driveability.
sounds painful ! did your wheel hit something ?
Old 06-20-2024, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,372 Likes on 2,244 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
Originally Posted by right_mr
Thanks , the inspection was of the components connecting the wheel to the car etc but not any other electronic/ electrical parts relating to the power steering. The steering is completely weightless in any driving mode, so I wonder if there's a component that gives it weight that is not functioning ?

Now maybe because I've been driving my m3 e93 a lot that I've got used to it's steering but I was driving the e63 a fair bit and never thought 'oh its got really light steering', it's always had some weight and feel, that's all gone now since the noise I heard (ofcourse I could be suffering from confirmation bias)
Use a LAUNCH ELITE MB Scanner or better to read your EPS steering rack module.

If there's a fault you will know as EPS Module is seriously well supervised with automatic self- checks at every ignition-ON. It won't be a mystery for long.

Personally what damaged my suspension was a small pavement 4"-step during road construction at 3.mph.

I am surprised how this wasted so many parts except my ugly MB rims.

The ball-joints are built with plastic inserts to absorb blows... they sure do!
They both got wasted loose on each side.

The best part was replacing fwd control arms. When it's loose it messes up toe as wheel moves back slightly.
If in doubt... "Everything must go" - - Use a complete kit of OE stock parts. It's all cheap stuff including bearings.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 06-20-2024 at 07:20 PM.