Prepaid service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 10:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cayenne,E63S
Prepaid service

Hi,
Anyone can share some experience if it is worth to get a prepaid maintenance plan & windshield, dent ......etc.(I'm located in Canada)? I didn't get Prepaid service for my Cayenne since the dealer told me that will be the similar price if I do pay-as-you-go. Any thoughts will be much appreciated.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 668 Likes on 515 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
Ouch ! $1600 + taxes for 3 yrs prepaid maint. It's really just oil changes (every 15K interval), cabin filter changes, air filter change at near 60,000km, brake fluid change (once every 2 yrs) and rear differential fluid changes (at 3,000km and 60,000km). I can only see about $1000 at the absolute most.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:04 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
E 63 S Wagon
Originally Posted by bobblehead
Ouch ! $1600 + taxes for 3 yrs prepaid maint. It's really just oil changes (every 15K interval), cabin filter changes, air filter change at near 60,000km, brake fluid change (once every 2 yrs) and rear differential fluid changes (at 3,000km and 60,000km). I can only see about $1000 at the absolute most.
What's interesting to me is the way my dealer handled our negotiation. My original build included the 3 year plan. However, in order to get his system to meet my desired price, he eliminated it from the build for the purposes of the calculation, and further lowered the price of the car from there. Then, when presenting me with the written offer, it included the 3 years of maintenance. i.e. I believe he's basically just throwing it in. The margin on it is probably huge, the actual cost to them probably very low.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:24 PM

Cayenne,E63S
It only seems like we're pre-paying the labor to me, cuz we still have to pay for the parts.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:26 PM

Cayenne,E63S
Originally Posted by E63guy
What's interesting to me is the way my dealer handled our negotiation. My original build included the 3 year plan. However, in order to get his system to meet my desired price, he eliminated it from the build for the purposes of the calculation, and further lowered the price of the car from there. Then, when presenting me with the written offer, it included the 3 years of maintenance. i.e. I believe he's basically just throwing it in. The margin on it is probably huge, the actual cost to them probably very low.
As my SA mentioned to me sales and service department are totally different, so he can't actual work anything on the prepaid service.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by slappy888
It only seems like we're pre-paying the labor to me, cuz we still have to pay for the parts.
No. Parts and labor are included.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My mechanic can pretty well do everything on that list, perhaps, not the rear diff fluid change for 50% of what MB wants.

For example, if I get my own oil supplies (on sale at CT, for example) and just needing his labor, then it would be around $140 range vs dealer wants around $250 (being a AMG) for the same job.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:51 PM

Cayenne,E63S
No. Parts and labor are included.
so the Wear items only for brakes, tires, wiper blades, light bulbs, etc.? oil &filter will not be the wear items?
Old 10-10-2017, 01:52 PM

Cayenne,E63S
My mechanic can pretty well do everything on that list, perhaps, not the rear diff fluid change for 50% of what MB wants.

For example, if I get my own oil supplies (on sale at CT, for example) and just needing his labor, then it would be around $140 range vs dealer wants around $250 (being a AMG) for the same job.
got ya
Old 10-10-2017, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by slappy888
so the Wear items only for brakes, tires, wiper blades, light bulbs, etc.?
I know brakes (pads & rotors) are covered only due to excessive wear for the 1st 20,000km if it was a defect ... at least for non AMG cars, not sure it covers for AMG cars ... I have to look that up in MB Canada website.

wiper blade, tires are normal wear & tear
light bulbs for the first 2 yrs ? I think

Last edited by bobblehead; 10-10-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:58 PM

Cayenne,E63S
I know brakes (pads & rotors) are covered only due to excessive wear for the 1st 20,000km ... at least for non AMG cars, not sure it covers for AMG cars ... I have to look that up in MB Canada website.

my friend told me the same thing for the brakes, I just want make sure which is for those "Wear items".
Old 10-10-2017, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/content/...or_canada.html

towards the bottom part of the page ... brakes
Old 10-10-2017, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
I know brakes (pads & rotors) are covered only due to excessive wear for the 1st 20,000km if it was a defect ... at least for non AMG cars, not sure it covers for AMG cars ... I have to look that up in MB Canada website.

I think Wipers might be included. I know on my S550 with the extended service contract they are always replacing the wipers free of charge.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
I'm not getting the prepaid service, I think it's a waste, the dealer is always gonna want to nail on something that is gonna cost you anyhow, they will generally rotate and balance the tires for like 80 bucks or something like that, nobody gets outta there for free, lol.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sure you can. All you can drink coffee, espresso, latte for free ... even though it is coming from a dispensing machine.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
When we're talking prepaid service, is this a MB service that is portable to any dealer?

I am not likely to move in the first few years of ownership, but what happens if I'm on a road trip or whatever and the car needs service away from my home dealer? I'd want to make sure the service is good anywhere.

Also, is there a discount for the service when prepaying? I guess to some extent, you're locking in the cost of parts and labor at today's rate, but inflation rates have been low so that alone doesn't seem like a huge savings.

I'm probably going to finance some portion of the car because I'm making more on some investments than the cost of the money on a loan. But, to make prepaid service worth it, the cost of the money over the next X years covered by the prepaid service has to be less than what it would cost me to outlay the money at the time of the service, i.e., what's the net present value of the two investments?

There's probably some intangible benefit too of the prepaid service in that when I pick up the car, the service folks can't as easily tack on little adders, like a battery terminal cleaning, just because, etc.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:25 PM

Cayenne,E63S
Originally Posted by E634Me
When we're talking prepaid service, is this a MB service that is portable to any dealer?

I am not likely to move in the first few years of ownership, but what happens if I'm on a road trip or whatever and the car needs service away from my home dealer? I'd want to make sure the service is good anywhere.

Also, is there a discount for the service when prepaying? I guess to some extent, you're locking in the cost of parts and labor at today's rate, but inflation rates have been low so that alone doesn't seem like a huge savings.

I'm probably going to finance some portion of the car because I'm making more on some investments than the cost of the money on a loan. But, to make prepaid service worth it, the cost of the money over the next X years covered by the prepaid service has to be less than what it would cost me to outlay the money at the time of the service, i.e., what's the net present value of the two investments?

There's probably some intangible benefit too of the prepaid service in that when I pick up the car, the service folks can't as easily tack on little adders, like a battery terminal cleaning, just because, etc.
Yes, is fully transferable and covered any where in Canada as long as is authorized MB dealer, what you're saying also true.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:34 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
E 63 S Wagon
sure you can. All you can drink coffee, espresso, latte for free ... even though it is coming from a dispensing machine.
My kids went to camp this summer and on pick-up day we stopped into the camp store where there were free bananas, or as I like to call them, $1900/week bananas.