Raised my car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Raised my car

here it’s is in the raised state by hitting the button on the dash. Makes it easier for me getting out. Pretty cool.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I do notice too in this raised mode the car does seem to ride better over bumpy roads. Good feature.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
The raise function of the E63s works a bit different that I am used to. Normally on MB's, there is an indicator light on the button wether the car is raised or not. Press once, raise, press again, lower to prior height ( there used to be an 2 step raise in the old days but the functionality was the same).

On this car the button only raises but doesn't lower. It appears that you can lower the car by selecting a different drive mode only.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:04 PM

Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 E63S
Originally Posted by Wolfman
The raise function of the E63s works a bit different that I am used to. Normally on MB's, there is an indicator light on the button wether the car is raised or not. Press once, raise, press again, lower to prior height ( there used to be an 2 step raise in the old days but the functionality was the same).

On this car the button only raises but doesn't lower. It appears that you can lower the car by selecting a different drive mode only.
If I'm understanding you correctly, you may want to check that again....pretty sure if you hit the raise button, raise the car, then hit it again, it will go lower back to prior ride height.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by Ralcbah
If I'm understanding you correctly, you may want to check that again....pretty sure if you hit the raise button, raise the car, then hit it again, it will go lower back to prior ride height.
I just tested mine in the garage:

in park, I push the raise button and a green car icon appears with an up arrow (Left screen at the bottom right). The car lifts up and it takes a long **** time vs the lifters in my GT3 and Huracan but we all knew this. But while the car is on, I then depress the button again and the green car icon goes away BUT the car doesnt go down unless I drive it or turn off the engine.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:09 PM

2018 E63S
Originally Posted by Vic55

in park, I push the raise button and a green car icon appears with an up arrow (Left screen at the bottom right). The car lifts up and it takes a long **** time vs the lifters in my GT3 and Huracan but we all knew this. But while the car is on, I then depress the button again and the green car icon goes away BUT the car doesnt go down unless I drive it or turn off the engine.
Ah, well that's a good thorough test man! My only ref point was driving right after, as I do use the raise function a lot while entering/exiting places and it would lower for me....guess you gotta drive it to lower again, as you mentioned..
Old 12-16-2017, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

The only way to see the ride height (besides stepping outside the car) is on the vehicle data screen in comand. It'll show on 1 when raised. When you raise the car while on or driving, the ride height will not go down no matter if the button is pressed again as stated. It'll lower itself at speed I guess but to get it down to 0 or -1 you have to flip to sport, sport plus etc.

Just different what I expected.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:30 PM

2018 E63S
The only way to see the ride height (besides stepping outside the car) is on the vehicle data screen in comand. It'll show on 1 when raised. When you raise the car while on or driving, the ride height will not go down no matter if the button is pressed again as stated. It'll lower itself at speed I guess but to get it down to 0 or -1 you have to flip to sport, sport plus etc.

Just different what I expected.
Odd. When i hit the button, on the left part of the left screen, it says 'vehicle raising'. if i hit it again, it says 'vehicle lowering'. Excerpt from AMG supp to owner's manual.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes thats how mine seems to work too.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

This turns out to be one of those Launch Edition differences.

So I tested this again yesterday and in fact the car does lower itself over time. There is no message like "vehicle lowering" at all. This car only has the "Vehicle raising" message and the indicator icon on the instrument cluster.
Since the only way to see the actual ride height is on the vehicle data screen in Comand. I looked there again and the car does lower itself but at such a glacial pace that I didn't even see it move for a while. Our SL with ABC drops in less than a second.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:38 PM

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts
2018 E63, 2008 SLR DH, 2011 599 SA, 1995 F50, 2007 through 2011 GT3 RS

So I tested this again yesterday and in fact the car does lower itself over time. There is no message like "vehicle lowering" at all. This car only has the "Vehicle raising" message and the indicator icon on the instrument cluster.
Since the only way to see the actual ride height is on the vehicle data screen in Comand. I looked there again and the car does lower itself but at such a glacial pace that I didn't even see it move for a while. Our SL with ABC drops in less than a second.
I don’t get the vehicle lowering message either and use this a lot going in and out of driveways and at garage.

it does take forever to lower the car however mine seems to raise fairly quickly. About the same as the GT3.

mine isn’t a launch edition
Old 12-18-2017, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 744 Likes on 486 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
I wonder if you can set the high ride height as the default for comfort mode. That would actually be pretty beneficial driving around the City of Atlanta.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thats gotta be frustrating, I'm hoping for you guys with the launch editions that they are able to reflash the newer software on your cars so you will have all the same functionality as everyone else.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
I wonder if you can set the high ride height as the default for comfort mode. That would actually be pretty beneficial driving around the City of Atlanta.
Yes, actually on my car it just stays in the raised mode even after turned off and on and doors open and closed. You have to hit the button again and it comes up on the screen lowering and of course it will also lower if you put it in another mode like "sport" or "sport plus" or "Race" and also about a certain speed it goes lower I believe, I think it's 70mph or something like that. It's not 60 because I was driving it tonight and hit 62 mph and it stayed in raised mode. I've been leaving it in raised mode around town with running errands as it's definetely easier for me to get in and out of the car. Hopefully by running it in this mode so much I'm not gonna wear the outside of the tires or something? Anytime I'm on the highway I'd have it in regular ride mode.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
Thats gotta be frustrating, I'm hoping for you guys with the launch editions that they are able to reflash the newer software on your cars so you will have all the same functionality as everyone else.
That's what I am trying to figure out at the moment. According to the techs, the software is at the latest rev. so it may have to do with module hardware revisions. I will have that figured out shortly
Old 12-18-2017, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, actually on my car it just stays in the raised mode even after turned off and on and doors open and closed. You have to hit the button again and it comes up on the screen lowering and of course it will also lower if you put it in another mode like "sport" or "sport plus" or "Race" and also about a certain speed it goes lower I believe, I think it's 70mph or something like that. It's not 60 because I was driving it tonight and hit 62 mph and it stayed in raised mode. I've been leaving it in raised mode around town with running errands as it's definetely easier for me to get in and out of the car. Hopefully by running it in this mode so much I'm not gonna wear the outside of the tires or something? Anytime I'm on the highway I'd have it in regular ride mode.
Keep in mind that raised mode is only meant for rougher terrain and driveways etc. It diminishes ride performance and suspension travel. At least in Airmatic and ABC/MBC - Active Body Control suspensions, not to be confused with the AMG ABC - Air Body Control...
The following users liked this post:
2012 merc amg (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's what I am trying to figure out at the moment. According to the techs, the software is at the latest rev. so it may have to do with module hardware revisions. I will have that figured out shortly

Worst case contact a guy name Si at Mercedes Benz Customer service, he is a pretty good problem solver and will open a case for you.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Worst case contact a guy name Si at Mercedes Benz Customer service, he is a pretty good problem solver and will open a case for you.
Thanks! Just curious; I saw that you have equipment installed under the steering wheel. I assume this is for pedal control? Aftermarket?
Old 12-18-2017, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks! Just curious; I saw that you have equipment installed under the steering wheel. I assume this is for pedal control? Aftermarket?
These are portable hand controls, I use to install permanent ones but I got really use to these and really like them at this point, I can even drive the car fast and feel comfortable, although I think I'm going to put a 3 point harness in the car as that would be more safe, my abdominal muscles don't work as I'm paralyzed from the upper chest down from a Motorcycle crash many years ago. When I start pulling some g force in really sharp corners it's mainly my arms holding me upright so I'd be much better off with a 3 point harness that held me in place firmly. The thing I like about these controls is I can install them in about 3 minutes, take out in about a minute and drive any car as long it's an automatic. Plus I don't have to hack up the dash cutting holes in the under panel and that sort of thing and thats a good thing in a car like a Benz. I used these in my 2012 AMG Wagon for 4 years and had no issues. I'm just hoping at the Mercedes Benz Driving Academy that they allow me to put these in their AMG GT and the SL because I really want to try out those cars. I don't feel like riding around as a passenger with some instructor.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
e63s edition 1
I was wondering about this as well. But that said, on our edition 1's as some folks stated it does not drop even at higher speeds. That might have been by design for comfort mode, but in all honestly I do prefer it in some of the rougher parts of San Francisco.

Keep in mind that raised mode is only meant for rougher terrain and driveways etc. It diminishes ride performance and suspension travel. At least in Airmatic and ABC/MBC - Active Body Control suspensions, not to be confused with the AMG ABC - Air Body Control...

Last edited by sighting; 12-18-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes it does seem like the car handles bumpy roads better in the raised mode than comfort mode. But I do notice driving down the road in a straight line the car does not feel the same, it seems to wander a bit, this makes me think it's throwing the alignment off and if driven enough like this would probably wear the tires screwball. I do notice when I raise the car it makes some funky creaking sounds, I guess it's just the air bags expanding. Hopefully won't cut into the air bag life using this feature on a regular basis because it does seem to help out some with my transfers in and out of the car even though it's only an inch.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:06 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
e63s edition 1
for those non edition 1 folks, how quickly does it rise?
I need to stand outside and time it but I think it takes around 7 seconds before it even moves

Yes it does seem like the car handles bumpy roads better in the raised mode than comfort mode. But I do notice driving down the road in a straight line the car does not feel the same, it seems to wander a bit, this makes me think it's throwing the alignment off and if driven enough like this would probably wear the tires screwball. I do notice when I raise the car it makes some funky creaking sounds, I guess it's just the air bags expanding. Hopefully won't cut into the air bag life using this feature on a regular basis because it does seem to help out some with my transfers in and out of the car even though it's only an inch.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'd estimate about 7 Seconds up 7 Seconds down.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
f80 M3

Where is this button? Can’t find it
Old 04-24-2018, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tonymiabmw

Where is this button? Can’t find it
To the left of the steering wheel on the dashboard is a row of buttons. It's to the right if memory serves...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Raised my car