Sponsored by:

Launch edition differences - FYI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 562 Likes on 386 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
My car is supposed to pop out of the VPC any day now. Hoping to schedule my upcoming DC trip around the delivery so I don't have to fly out twice - fingers crossed.

But, will be interesting to see if I notice any changes to the cars menus - other than the obvious map updates.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:59 AM

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2018 E63S
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Had the same thing. Only the Nav needed updating.

Not critical to have any but would love a better CarPlay functionality and really like the later vehicle data screen
I have an early November build date and the Car Play functionality seems quite snappy. I'm assuming it has the later hardware and software.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Example of module versions

Have not been pursuing the at the moment but will pick this up with the dealer later this month. Here is an example all of the hardware and software versions that are involved in these modules. I am looking at module A26/17 (Comand online) N51/3 & 8 (Air Body Control - Plus) and N162 (Ambient Light). I have a late model build VIN that we'll use for comparison to find out if it's actually different hardware...

Old 01-18-2018, 12:58 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
GTR Pro
Has anyone actually gotten the new infotainment/comand upgrade from the dealer? My car is a 2018 but I am running the older 2017 software. I would really like my software to be the new upgraded and very different version. My dealer is pushing back and saying they won't do thew upgrade unless there is an actual problem with my current comand system.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:32 PM

GTR Pro
Originally Posted by HydroLogic
Has anyone actually gotten the new infotainment/comand upgrade from the dealer? My car is a 2018 but I am running the older 2017 software. I would really like my software to be the new upgraded and very different version. My dealer is pushing back and saying they won't do thew upgrade unless there is an actual problem with my current comand system.
I am going to take the lack of anyone responding as a no. Nobody has actually been able to get the dealer to upgrade their early production comand/infotainment software to the latest version. Basically, MBUSA has made it very clear they will not do it unless there is an actual issue with the system.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

I am going to take the lack of anyone responding as a no. Nobody has actually been able to get the dealer to upgrade their early production comand/infotainment software to the latest version. Basically, MBUSA has made it very clear they will not do it unless there is an actual issue with the system.
Nobody, correct. I am trying to figure this one out and will have more info when the car goes in for service (diff. lock oil change).

The simple (to be confirmed) answer is that there is no new software update for the car. I had the car in already for that reason and all software versions were at the latest level for their respective hardware modules.
As such, updating the software may not be possible without swapping modules. If so, don't expect any dealer to do that and even if, you may end up with the same "older" software to match your build.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
To get a new module, you need your old one to become defective... Ill just move on.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:10 PM

GTR Pro
Nobody, correct. I am trying to figure this one out and will have more info when the car goes in for service (diff. lock oil change).

The simple (to be confirmed) answer is that there is no new software update for the car. I had the car in already for that reason and all software versions were at the latest level for their respective hardware modules.
As such, updating the software may not be possible without swapping modules. If so, don't expect any dealer to do that and even if, you may end up with the same "older" software to match your build.
ok that is what I thought. Not a simple software update.... more of a hardware thing. What a bummer...just a month after my build date the comand system became vastly improved. Please keep us informed what you come up after your dif. oil service.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:12 PM

GTR Pro
Originally Posted by Vic55
To get a new module, you need your old one to become defective... Ill just move on.
defective.....
Old 01-22-2018, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 E63S AMG
Man, this just seems really hard to believe in this day and age.

I can imagine if we said to our commercial airliner customers, sorry, that satellite based in-flight wifi system you bought for your fleet can't be upgraded unless the hardware is swapped out.

Certainly, there are updates that come along which at some point will only work with newer generation hardware, just like some IOS updates for your phone. But seriously, non compatible hardware within the same model year?

There's a difference between can't and won't. I suspect there's a lot more won't involved here than can't, as in we won't do it because we don't want to, versus we can't do it because the hardware won't support it. That's probably just an excuse being tossed out - which in turn, like the poor unit conversions in the manual - lead me to question MB engineering.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by E634Me
Man, this just seems really hard to believe in this day and age.

I can imagine if we said to our commercial airliner customers, sorry, that satellite based in-flight wifi system you bought for your fleet can't be upgraded unless the hardware is swapped out.

Certainly, there are updates that come along which at some point will only work with newer generation hardware, just like some IOS updates for your phone. But seriously, non compatible hardware within the same model year?

There's a difference between can't and won't. I suspect there's a lot more won't involved here than can't, as in we won't do it because we don't want to, versus we can't do it because the hardware won't support it. That's probably just an excuse being tossed out - which in turn, like the poor unit conversions in the manual - lead me to question MB engineering.
MB engineering has little to do with that, but I dislike not having over the air updates for software.
The simple truth is that our launch editions really are 2017 models. MBUSA called them 2018 for marketing purposes, but all differences boil down to 2017 vs. actual 2018 MY builds (post August). Apart from the AMG features, the regular E-Class will display the exact changes we are discussing (Comand, Apple CarPlay, ambient light, etc)
Old 01-22-2018, 08:46 PM

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
2019 E63s
This has been a huge source of grief for me.

MB engineering has little to do with that, but I dislike not having over the air updates for software.
The simple truth is that our launch editions really are 2017 models. MBUSA called them 2018 for marketing purposes, but all differences boil down to 2017 vs. actual 2018 MY builds (post August). Apart from the AMG features, the regular E-Class will display the exact changes we are discussing (Comand, Apple CarPlay, ambient light, etc)
I have an early build and my software has been buggy since day 1. Not only am I missing critical elements that were to be delivered with the car (track pace) but CarPlay has been buggy at best and downright unsafe at worst. My car has been in 2x already and the response “functioning as intended” is no longer acceptable. Last visit they updated something and now the stop start stays lit in all modes but continues to function only in comfort. I really love this car but the infotainment downright sucks. Waiting for an update is not an option when you pay $150k for a car and you don’t get delivered what was promised. Don’t even get me started on the piano black centre console with brown ash wood everywhere else...
Old 01-22-2018, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 E63S AMG
OK, I think I see the distinction. If I understand it correctly, you're saying that the 2018 Edition 1 ("launch edition") is really a 2017 MY car cobbled together a few new parts and called a 2018 car, where as my car (not an Edition 1) with a 10/1017 build date is an actual 2018 MY car with real 2018 hardware.

But would other non Edition 1 cars with April to Oct build dates that were sold as 2018 MY cars also be built with leftovers from the 2017 MY and a few new bits?

I strongly thought about getting an Edition 1, but opted for the ability to configure my own car and do the family vacation in Europe bit. Very glad now that I went that route.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:02 PM

2019 E63s
the difference is night and day.

OK, I think I see the distinction. If I understand it correctly, you're saying that the 2018 Edition 1 ("launch edition") is really a 2017 MY car cobbled together a few new parts and called a 2018 car, where as my car (not an Edition 1) with a 10/1017 build date is an actual 2018 MY car with real 2018 hardware.

But would other non Edition 1 cars with April to Oct build dates that were sold as 2018 MY cars also be built with leftovers from the 2017 MY and a few new bits?

I strongly thought about getting an Edition 1, but opted for the ability to configure my own car and do the family vacation in Europe bit. Very glad now that I went that route.
A close friend bought one 2 weeks after mine. The difference between our 2 cars is huge. The overall speed, the appearance, usability etc. Very big difference.

Good on you you for doing the ED! Sounds like you had a blast!
Old 01-22-2018, 09:07 PM

GTR Pro

My car is NOT an Edition one but I have the same 2017 infotainment/comand hardware/software. I think all cars built before 10/17 have the older spec. My car was built in August and is considered a 2018
Old 01-22-2018, 09:11 PM

GTR Pro
Originally Posted by orenlasko

I have an early build and my software has been buggy since day 1. Not only am I missing critical elements that were to be delivered with the car (track pace) but CarPlay has been buggy at best and downright unsafe at worst. My car has been in 2x already and the response “functioning as intended” is no longer acceptable. Last visit they updated something and now the stop start stays lit in all modes but continues to function only in comfort. I really love this car but the infotainment downright sucks. Waiting for an update is not an option when you pay $150k for a car and you don’t get delivered what was promised. Don’t even get me started on the piano black centre console with brown ash wood everywhere else...
Damn, so even though you are having actual issues when it comes back form the shop they say everything is fine and they won't upgrade??

and I also have brown ash wood with the piano center counsel. They were out of the brown ash center counsel when my car was built so they subbed in the piano. I figured once the brown center was available as a part I would swap it but looking at how it's put together and the amount of labor it would take I think I'm sticking with piano....
Old 01-23-2018, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator

My car is NOT an Edition one but I have the same 2017 infotainment/comand hardware/software. I think all cars built before 10/17 have the older spec. My car was built in August and is considered a 2018
All E63s are 2018 in the US (and probably Canada). MB moves model years ahead occasionally on new model launches...
Old 01-23-2018, 01:52 AM
Super Moderator

Just to put this into perspective, I don't have any issues with the launch edition. Apart from maybe a ultra suede headliner, this car has what I want and the Magno Black is my favorite color by far.
That said, I would have liked all the latest updates we are discussing in this thread but none amount to anything important.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:02 AM

2019 E63s
Damn, so even though you are having actual issues when it comes back form the shop they say everything is fine and they won't upgrade??

and I also have brown ash wood with the piano center counsel. They were out of the brown ash center counsel when my car was built so they subbed in the piano. I figured once the brown center was available as a part I would swap it but looking at how it's put together and the amount of labor it would take I think I'm sticking with piano....
actually changing out the console is easy. There is a thread over in the other non AMG w213 side that shows great detail. The bigger issue is finding a piece that matches. They ordered 3 different pieces and non colour matched. I am left with the option of now switching out all the door trims and the entree ash trim to black. This is an apt ion that does not excite me as in my mind it’s going to close the door on the trim colour issue but potentially open up another squeaky trim issue and for this reason I’m holding off for now. It goes in tomorrow for more electronic issues among them the “electronic rear diff” issue Quickburn has which results in complete rear diff replacement which is also not exciting to me...
Old 01-23-2018, 04:03 AM

2019 E63s
If my car worked

Just to put this into perspective, I don't have any issues with the launch edition. Apart from maybe a ultra suede headliner, this car has what I want and the Magno Black is my favorite color by far.
That said, I would have liked all the latest updates we are discussing in this thread but none amount to anything important.
I would be able to put it behind me. But 9 of 10 times I drive it there is a glitch of some sort...
Old 01-23-2018, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

I would be able to put it behind me. But 9 of 10 times I drive it there is a glitch of some sort...
Document the glitch and make the dealer fix it. You can make them replace the module even if no codes are thrown. The issue you may encounter is that they will replace it with the same module, not the updated you are hoping to get. If you have a good relationship with a dealer, upgrades like that are no issue.

Good luck!
Old 01-23-2018, 01:36 PM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Document the glitch and make the dealer fix it. You can make them replace the module even if no codes are thrown. The issue you may encounter is that they will replace it with the same module, not the updated you are hoping to get. If you have a good relationship with a dealer, upgrades like that are no issue.

Good luck!
The key is having a friendly SA- this repair does not require an MBUSA rep to come out and inspect it. I frankly dont care enough to take the car there and then get it a few days later (I have a good SA) and Id much rather have the Edition 1 with its unique interior and Night Black Magno paint than the ability to change the colors on my screen in a more dynamic way. But I get it for those who like that type of stuff.

So if you have a good SA or Director he/she can easily create a fault that warrants a new module. Hey its better for them as they bill MBUSA at a much higher rate in time then it will actually take to do the job.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:40 PM

2019 E63s
Agreed

The key is having a friendly SA- this repair does not require an MBUSA rep to come out and inspect it. I frankly dont care enough to take the car there and then get it a few days later (I have a good SA) and Id much rather have the Edition 1 with its unique interior and Night Black Magno paint than the ability to change the colors on my screen in a more dynamic way. But I get it for those who like that type of stuff.

So if you have a good SA or Director he/she can easily create a fault that warrants a new module. Hey its better for them as they bill MBUSA at a much higher rate in time then it will actually take to do the job.
Edition 1 isn’t available up here in the Matte Black. If it were that would be epic and a very good reason not to mess with things. I’m not actually chasing the LED module issue. I could care less what colour my accent lights are inside. For me this is solely about functionality and safety. 50/50 CarPlay turns on midway when I back down my driveway and obscures the camera view... or the screen craps out. It’s just an all round disaster.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Edition 1 isn’t available up here in the Matte Black. If it were that would be epic and a very good reason not to mess with things. I’m not actually chasing the LED module issue. I could care less what colour my accent lights are inside. For me this is solely about functionality and safety. 50/50 CarPlay turns on midway when I back down my driveway and obscures the camera view... or the screen craps out. It’s just an all round disaster.
I hear you, as you have multi issues. My system is a bit slow at times in regards to switching songs on a hardwired IPOD yet the satellite channels move right away. Do you have that issue with your media advancement?

Try my route, find a greedy LOL SA and he should be able to create an issue for you.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:57 PM

2019 E63s
will do

I hear you, as you have multi issues. My system is a bit slow at times in regards to switching songs on a hardwired IPOD yet the satellite channels move right away. Do you have that issue with your media advancement?

Try my route, find a greedy LOL SA and he should be able to create an issue for you.
Things are generally laggy but I’ll pay closer attention when it comes back. If it comes back

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Launch edition differences - FYI