Sponsored by:

1k Mile Break In Finally Over

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 12:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
E63S
1k Mile Break In Finally Over

The most difficult thousand miles are finally over and I got to drive the car through some awesome scenic routes yesterday. I have daily driven the car around town for a month now in all weather conditions and it has been solid (except for a damn squeak near the driver seat belt mechanism). Coming from a 2016 C63S I have to say the E63S > C63S in almost every way as a daily driver. The quieter exhaust concern is only evident in C & Sport modes. In Sport+ the car sounds amazing. The ability to stay planted and get power down effortlessly vs the C63S is really significant. My C63S always suffered from traction issues and in wet conditions you had to really be careful getting on power. The car also just feels more solid....doors close with a thud and the fit and finish is “S class” quality. . The other big advantage is the softer ride quality in Comfort mode. The C63S suspension was rock hard in all modes and would rattle your teeth loose on rough roads.

Overall I have been really happy with the car and feel that it is an awesome low profile sleeper with every creature comfort you would ever need.

Last edited by Txamgtech; 01-14-2018 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-14-2018, 02:33 PM

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2018 E63S
Congrats! I'm still about 400 miles away from the end of my break-in period. It hasn't been too difficult for me to stay below 4,500 RPM but I am interested to see how fast it is/feels when break-in is over. I'm used to fast vehicles (cars and bikes) so while I doubt I'll be disappointed, I don't think I'll be blown way by it's speed.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:24 PM

E63S
Originally Posted by BC-2
Congrats! I'm still about 400 miles away from the end of my break-in period. It hasn't been too difficult for me to stay below 4,500 RPM but I am interested to see how fast it is/feels when break-in is over. I'm used to fast vehicles (cars and bikes) so while I doubt I'll be disappointed, I don't think I'll be blown way by it's speed.
I think you may be pleasantly surprised. Even though it puts power down without much fuss.....low 11’s @125 is fairly stout.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:32 PM

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2018 E63S
Originally Posted by Txamgtech

I think you may be pleasantly surprised. Even though it puts power down without much fuss.....low 11’s @125 is fairly stout.
Absolutely. After re-reading my comment, it came off wrong, as though I'm under appreciating the car. It's definitely fast and I'm looking forward to the break-in period to be over so I can experience the full potential. One of the reasons it has been easy to stay within the break-in parameters is because it's faster than the average car, even while staying in those parameters. :-)
Old 01-15-2018, 11:36 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 373 Likes on 292 Posts
congrats, now let loose!!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2018, 02:03 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2007 S65 AMG
Congrats! Glad to hear the car sounds more aggressive in sport +, I honestly didn’t know that
Old 01-15-2018, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by Fonzie AMG
Congrats! Glad to hear the car sounds more aggressive in sport +, I honestly didn’t know that
Its because sport + defaults to the valves open in the exhaust. You could drive the car in comfort and have the valves open via the exhaust setting or the programmed individual button and if you were at lets say 5k rpms in comfort and 5k in sport + the sound is the same. Sport + is of course a more aggressive setting in general from engine rpms and response so the noise will be louder as one holds the rpms up thru the ranges vs comfort which upshifts quicker.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
There is a difference that I noticed between having the exhaust valve opened via the button in comfort mode vs actually being in Sport + mode, and that is the snap crackle pop that you get in Sport + and Race mode when you let off the throttle.

Seems also like there's a little more snarl overall in the upper two modes.

Of course it's all a distant memory now. I really miss my car

I keep hoping each day to get the word that the VPC has set it free.

Looking forward to trying a race start for the first time too. Just never worked out between weather and road locations that I got to do one before I dropped the car off.
The following users liked this post:
Vic55 (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by E634Me
There is a difference that I noticed between having the exhaust valve opened via the button in comfort mode vs actually being in Sport + mode, and that is the snap crackle pop that you get in Sport + and Race mode when you let off the throttle.

Looking forward to trying a race start for the first time too. Just never worked out between weather and road locations that I got to do one before I dropped the car off.
I had to recheck my statement after reading this and you are 100% right... sport + allows for more unburnt gas in the exhaust pipes that creates that backfire/pops.

I drove my car in sport plus and then in comfort with the exhaust wide open- it was boring LOL.

Last edited by Vic55; 01-15-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:52 PM

E63S
Originally Posted by E634Me

I have always run the car with the valves open button pressed and that is a great description of the exhaust sound difference in S+ mode. The trailing throttle & decel pops are more noticeable and the sound under acceleration is just awesome. My C63S sounded so good people would always ask if the car was modded or if the exhaust was aftermarket. The E63S in Sport+ sounds equally as good but it is tame in Comfort & Sport which actually may be a good thing.

Good luck on your new car.

Last edited by Txamgtech; 01-15-2018 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Addition PS