Sponsored by:

Forged Wheels vs Carwash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 12:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 E63S
Forged Wheels vs Carwash

This may be sacrilege, but am considering running my E63s through a car wash, and am concerned about damage to the forged wheels. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by Gr8 Ape; 02-17-2018 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CLS55
R.I.P. Pretty forged wheels?
Old 02-17-2018, 07:43 AM

Received 13 Likes on 1 Post
Wagon
I'd suggest hand wash, car washes are brutal on your clear coat/paint
Old 02-17-2018, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Not to mention that the low profile wheels will probably be rubbing up against the tire guide the whole way through the wash.

Seems like great potential for damage there.

I washed the car this morning. My old pressure washer was acting up so I bought a new Generac 3200 PSI unit with adjustable wand. Also bought an Adams foam cannon for applying the soap. I didn't buy any new soap as I had several different ones already. When I looked at them, they all talked about adding shine. Because I have the Grey Magno paint I opted to be safe and not use any of them. Instead I used plain old liquid dishwashing soap. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it worked well in the foam cannon and came out like whipped cream.

I also purchased a CR Spotless water filter system specifically for washing the cars. The combination of the pressure washer, foam cannon, and good water made the job super easy.

Here's a couple quick shots I took.

The following users liked this post:
ronin amg (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 01:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 E63S
Looking nice!
Old 02-17-2018, 06:19 PM

Received 281 Likes on 219 Posts
E63S
Originally Posted by E634Me
Not to mention that the low profile wheels will probably be rubbing up against the tire guide the whole way through the wash.

Seems like great potential for damage there.

I washed the car this morning. My old pressure washer was acting up so I bought a new Generac 3200 PSI unit with adjustable wand. Also bought an Adams foam cannon for applying the soap. I didn't buy any new soap as I had several different ones already. When I looked at them, they all talked about adding shine. Because I have the Grey Magno paint I opted to be safe and not use any of them. Instead I used plain old liquid dishwashing soap. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it worked well in the foam cannon and came out like whipped cream.
I don't remember where I read or heard this from; supposedly, dish washing liquid (while having a great de-greasing property) could/will dry out bushings and other rubber components in cars... and in the long term run down seals and aid in wearing out rubber components in a vehicle (something about how rubbers and the like have oils in them that keep them nice a flexible and the use of "Dawn" will draw these oils out and the rubbers will dry out and crack). I am by no means trying to criticize how you choose to take care of your vehicle, and a gorgeous one at that, but I thought I'd pass along something that made sense to me
Old 02-17-2018, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Thanks, no offense taken.

Sounds like a reasonable hypothesis to me. Not my long term solution, just the best thing I had on hand today that I didn’t think would add shine to the finish as all the other soaps I had claim to do.

Will be purchasing some new matte friendly soap in advance of the next wash.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:43 PM

E63S
Originally Posted by E634Me
Thanks, no offense taken.

Sounds like a reasonable hypothesis to me. Not my long term solution, just the best thing I had on hand today that I didn’t think would add shine to the finish as all the other soaps I had claim to do.

Will be purchasing some new matte friendly soap in advance of the next wash.
I too have matte paint. I currently use "Chemical Guys Honeydew Snow Foam" I honestly don't see how this cleans better or worse than "Meguiar's _____", but it sure smells better LOL! I have spot cleaned stuff off the car with rubbing alcohol in small amounts and also have used ammonia FREE windex (And then rinsing the hell outta that whole panel)... this last bit is "knowledge" from youtube
Old 02-17-2018, 07:55 PM

Received 13 Likes on 1 Post
Wagon
Originally Posted by Rehabguy
I too have matte paint. I currently use "Chemical Guys Honeydew Snow Foam" I honestly don't see how this cleans better or worse than "Meguiar's _____", but it sure smells better LOL! I have spot cleaned stuff off the car with rubbing alcohol in small amounts and also have used ammonia FREE windex (And then rinsing the hell outta that whole panel)... this last bit is "knowledge" from youtube
always hears the same about dish soap

Consumer report

we also use chemical guys - mr pink, though we are more attentive because of the xpel and opti coat
Old 02-18-2018, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by Rehabguy
I don't remember where I read or heard this from; supposedly, dish washing liquid (while having a great de-greasing property) could/will dry out bushings and other rubber components in cars... and in the long term run down seals and aid in wearing out rubber components in a vehicle (something about how rubbers and the like have oils in them that keep them nice a flexible and the use of "Dawn" will draw these oils out and the rubbers will dry out and crack). I am by no means trying to criticize how you choose to take care of your vehicle, and a gorgeous one at that, but I thought I'd pass along something that made sense to me
Sounds advice in theory.
I am simply curious (since I cannot see myself ever owning a matte finish in a DD), but how will soaps like dawn etc ruins rubber bushings if you are simply washing the body of your car? In the wheel wells, aren't the soaps for those areas rims usually degreasers anyway? I get that a small section of the door and window bushings may come into contact with some of the soap, but just how bad is that compared to say sitting in the elements?
Old 02-18-2018, 04:14 PM

E63S
Originally Posted by kponti
Sounds advice in theory.
I am simply curious (since I cannot see myself ever owning a matte finish in a DD), but how will soaps like dawn etc ruins rubber bushings if you are simply washing the body of your car? In the wheel wells, aren't the soaps for those areas rims usually degreasers anyway? I get that a small section of the door and window bushings may come into contact with some of the soap, but just how bad is that compared to say sitting in the elements?
I actually don't know if the stuff they spray on your wheels at the car wash is a simple degreaser. I wouldn't think that liberally spraying degreaser all over your tires and suspension components would be a good idea. But, getting back to how washing the body of a car with dish soap could ruin bushings (again, in theory)... soap and water touches a lot more than just the glass and various panels of the car's exterior... specially if one uses a power washer with a foam cannon and liberally goes to town in the wheel wells, through the wheel spokes, on to suspension components. On the other hand, I HAVE seen youtube videos (by people who appear to make a living out of detailing cars) where they talk about really getting down and dirty, removing wheels and literally spraying everything down and even brushing calipers and brake rotors with soaps that have degreasing properties. Who knows?... maybe these were rumors put out there by companies like Meguair's to scare you and coax you into buying their perfumed "Car Soap" LOL!!!
The following users liked this post:
kponti (02-18-2018)