New 2018 E63S owner--noob questions + tuning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 12:10 PM

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
2018 AMG E63S
New 2018 E63S owner--noob questions + tuning

Hi guys,

Yesterday, I traded my 2017 RS7 Performance and picked up my first ever Mercedes--a 2018 AMG E63S Sedan in Diamond White.

I have a decent amount of experience with aftermarket mods for BMWs and Audis but I'm entirely new to the MB brand so I know quite literally nothing. My first two go-to mods are lowering and tuning. I look at RennTech for both but their lowering module pricing made my want to vomit so I dug a little deeper and found the thread here (and that prompted me to sign-up for MBWorld) describing the box on eBay. I've already purchased that and it's shipping out tomorrow I think.

Tune-wise, I'm really only turning up RennTech. Presumably, there's a thread somewhere detailing tuning options (ECU preferred, piggyback acceptable if credible) and people's firsthand experiences--does anyone have a pointer?

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by limeypride
Hi guys,

Yesterday, I traded my 2017 RS7 Performance and picked up my first ever Mercedes--a 2018 AMG E63S Sedan in Diamond White.

I have a decent amount of experience with aftermarket mods for BMWs and Audis but I'm entirely new to the MB brand so I know quite literally nothing. My first two go-to mods are lowering and tuning. I look at RennTech for both but their lowering module pricing made my want to vomit so I dug a little deeper and found the thread here (and that prompted me to sign-up for MBWorld) describing the box on eBay. I've already purchased that and it's shipping out tomorrow I think.

Tune-wise, I'm really only turning up RennTech. Presumably, there's a thread somewhere detailing tuning options (ECU preferred, piggyback acceptable if credible) and people's firsthand experiences--does anyone have a pointer?

Thanks.
Most decent tunes are going to be benchtop ie you send your ecu to them, they tune and send back to you. Piggyback tunes seem so far made to have a lower power output, but I have not heard of one for the W213 yet (still new).
Old 03-03-2018, 12:19 PM

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
W212 E63 AMG S Model
Hi guys,

Thanks.
i recognize your handle from AudiZine... what do you think about the E63s vs the RS7? I came from the older E63s (2014) to an RS7 and loved it. Just wondering how the new one compares.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:32 PM

2018 AMG E63S
Hey!

I loved the RS7--still do. Didn't love the transmission (read loathed it) and my mileage was getting silly so it seemed like a good time to trade out.

Anyhoo--the interior of the E63 is leaps and bounds ahead but that's mostly down to the fact that the Audi is still yesterday's model while the AMG is current. Driving-wise, they're similar in terms of stock performance but I think the AMG has it likely due to vastly superior shifting. Handling-wise, the AMG may have it there, too--the turn-in and immediacy of the response plus the confidence it provides whilst darting about on zig-zagging roads is impressive... I think it's best phrased as the AMG feels lighter, more nimble on its feet. The more realistic comparison will be against the next-gen RS7 but that's a year or two out.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:33 PM

2018 AMG E63S
Originally Posted by kponti
Most decent tunes are going to be benchtop ie you send your ecu to them, they tune and send back to you. Piggyback tunes seem so far made to have a lower power output, but I have not heard of one for the W213 yet (still new).
So only the RennTech is currently available?
Old 03-03-2018, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Eurocharged, Speedriven and Weistec are a few more. Have not heard about anything from AMS at this time
Old 03-03-2018, 03:16 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 E43 AMG
Hi guys,

Thanks.
Hey Limey, welcome to the Mercedes side. I remember you and your car on the Audizine forum. I was one of the first original S6s who went full stage 3. Like yours mine was getting up there in miles so decided to trade it in. I didn't get the E63 but got the E43. Just needed something for a daily driver in mid OH. I've already lowered mine with the Renntech module and tuned with Eurocharged. Welcome to the forum, not as active as the Audi group but I still keep in touch over there. A lot of guys going Stage 3 now.
The following users liked this post:
limeypride (03-04-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 03:23 PM

Received 378 Likes on 159 Posts
☐ Rekt ☑ Not Rekt
With all these ECU tunes, do all the driving modes remain the same but just with a lot more power?

Or does it only kick in in Sport + or race?
Old 03-04-2018, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 378 Posts
2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Hi guys,

Thanks.
I use OE Tuning flash on both my GTS and e63S AMG wagon. both work perfectly with power you can feel.

http://benzworks.com
The following 2 users liked this post by ronin amg:
limeypride (03-04-2018), SALES@OETUNING (03-05-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 08:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I ordered the renntech tune and the ridiculously priced lowering module at the same time, if I had research a bit and knew the ebay module is available I would have tried it. Nevertheless as for the tuning goes, I know there are a few tuners out there but i wanted safe and reliable horsepower, Renntech has the history and expertise associate with Mercedes and personally I am willing to pay the renntech tax for the peace of mind.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:42 PM

2018 AMG E63S
Originally Posted by kcphuah
I ordered the renntech tune and the ridiculously priced lowering module at the same time, if I had research a bit and knew the ebay module is available I would have tried it. Nevertheless as for the tuning goes, I know there are a few tuners out there but i wanted safe and reliable horsepower, Renntech has the history and expertise associate with Mercedes and personally I am willing to pay the renntech tax for the peace of mind.
Thanks.

I think I understand your approach but would you elaborate on the "peace of mind" aspect? Is it because they offer a warranty or only release conservative tunes or are trustworthy by virtue of longevity and reputation or...?
Old 03-04-2018, 10:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
The peace of mind I am referring to is mainly their reputation, reliability and also their collaboration with certain MB dealership, those factors combined together has given me the confidence level I need personally to chose their product albeit the Renntech premium in comparison to others. I feel I am spending so much money on a car already, I just wanted to choose the best fit for me IMHO. And during my correspondence with Renntech I was told at WOT the boost would be 28lbs after the ECU tune, AFR will be 12.05 or .82 lambda. There are safety measures built in, and it runs off that fuel table. There is no open loop in this car, It will not run lean. I have also been told the dealership will not be able to tell there is a tune in the ECU, and if tune is erased by ECU software update, I can send the ECU back to Renntech and they would put the tune back in for no charge except paying for shipping. Hope this helps.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:43 AM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Here is before/after results of "Tune Only" with a Eurocharged tune on the W213 E63

Old 03-05-2018, 05:20 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
G
I have also been told the dealership will not be able to tell there is a tune in the ECU, and if tune is erased by ECU software update, I can send the ECU back to Renntech and they would put the tune back in for no charge except paying for shipping.
Please explain.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
The peace of mind I am referring to is mainly their reputation, reliability and also their collaboration with certain MB dealership, those factors combined together has given me the confidence level I need personally to chose their product albeit the Renntech premium in comparison to others. I feel I am spending so much money on a car already, I just wanted to choose the best fit for me IMHO. And during my correspondence with Renntech I was told at WOT the boost would be 28lbs after the ECU tune, AFR will be 12.05 or .82 lambda. There are safety measures built in, and it runs off that fuel table. There is no open loop in this car, It will not run lean. I have also been told the dealership will not be able to tell there is a tune in the ECU, and if tune is erased by ECU software update, I can send the ECU back to Renntech and they would put the tune back in for no charge except paying for shipping. Hope this helps.
Well this is just wrong. Renntech tunes are no different than any other ECU tune. The tune parameters are stored in several can buses in Car other than ECU, regardless of whether it’s put back to stock or not.

A dealer that I spoke with specifically said not to do renntech tune at dealer as Car would be flagged. Careful out there.
The following users liked this post:
kponti (03-05-2018)