Sponsored by:

Buying experience MB of Ft Mitchell, KY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 E63s
Buying experience MB of Ft Mitchell, KY

First post! I’m from Texas and found a new car at this dealership that they weren’t willing to trade to another dealership so I flew in to make the transaction. I did have two trade-ins that were in Texas. I go through cars very often and have made this exact transaction many times (buying from out of state while having trades that couldn’t be taken to dealership because of distance). I had a local used car dealer agree to purchase my cars like a wholesaler and allow me to use the trade-ins for tax credit. My salesperson was great. He got the trade-ins approved by management so I jumped on a plane and flew across the country for the new MB.

Here’s where things go south. When I get to the dealership and sit down to do the paperwork, I am informed that the GM of the dealership has told the salesperson that they will not take the trade-ins because they have never seen the cars. Because of the cost of the new car, this now adds almost $8K to the deal. So basically I felt like they got me there, knowing I had sold my cars back home and then reneged on the agreed terms. They knew I wasn’t leaving without the car and just didn’t want to deal with the paperwork of the trade-ins. I was also told, “yeah” when I asked if the dealer back in Texas knew about the decision so I didn’t call back home for a better explanation. I felt like I had been lied to in order to seal the deal. It is what it is, but buyer beware.

Like I said before, I go through cars extremely often and the dealership could have made a good customer out of me (they have a big inventory of new and pre-owned), but they screwed me in this transaction and I’ll never be back.

Buyers beware.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 381 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
EDIT, reread post, Dealership info was in post title, question answered.

Last edited by E634Me; 04-23-2018 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Info was already in OP.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Wow, that sucks. I hate it when dealers try to screw with the Customer. I had that happen in Knoxville as I was all set to buy a 2015 Wagon a while back, we had the deal done verbally, then when the paper work went to the Finance guy he changed it all around so I backed out of the deal. It was all a big waste of time.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:42 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2018 E63S
I got my E63S from MB of West Chester, Ohio. I live up in NE Ohio so it was a 3 1/2 hour drive for me to get the car. It was all agreed over the phone and in email. Fortunately the deal went exactly as we'd agreed and I had no issues. I would certainly buy from them again, FWIW to other members of the forum.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:00 PM

2018 E63s
This is the first time I’ve had a deal verbally committed to and then then dealership not hold up to their side of the deal when it’s time to sign the papers. Is what it is though.

I feel bad for the salesperson because I told him I don’t think I could give them a good survey. He’s basically begging me to not do that. Hell, for all I know the salesperson just told me that the trades were good and didn’t actually run it past his manager. I want to give the survey like it went down.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:02 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 373 Likes on 292 Posts
Sorry, some dealers make us all look bad... we've taken several trade in's sight unseen.. just need a vin, miles, pics and some questions (service, tires, mild condition questions).. it's actually pretty easy

Last edited by susman@eurogermantown.com; 04-23-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:21 PM

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts
M8 convert + model Y
interesting .. it's a dealership where i bought my wagon from and they took my trade in without seeing it and delivered new car to my driveway and loaded my trade in and....I'm happy customer.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,322 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
What a sleazy dealer.

too bad you couldn't just walk out and buy from somewhere else

i would have rented a car until I got my new car from somewhere else just on principle alone

The following users liked this post:
24Hours (04-24-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 07:07 PM

2018 E63s
Originally Posted by susman@eurogermantown.com
Sorry, some dealers make us all look bad... we've taken several trade in's sight unseen.. just need a vin, miles, pics and some questions (service, tires, mild condition questions).. it's actually pretty easy
That’s exactly what my local dealer said when I returned with the news of the transaction. I’ve done this on 4 cars prior. No issues at all. And it’s a shame because it’s not like the dealership made a dollar more by not doing it.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:12 AM

Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts
2007 E350
Originally Posted by GreyAggie
First post! I’m from Texas and found a new car at this dealership that they weren’t willing to trade to another dealership so I flew in to make the transaction. I did have two trade-ins that were in Texas. I go through cars very often and have made this exact transaction many times (buying from out of state while having trades that couldn’t be taken to dealership because of distance). I had a local used car dealer agree to purchase my cars like a wholesaler and allow me to use the trade-ins for tax credit. My salesperson was great. He got the trade-ins approved by management so I jumped on a plane and flew across the country for the new MB.

Here’s where things go south. When I get to the dealership and sit down to do the paperwork, I am informed that the GM of the dealership has told the salesperson that they will not take the trade-ins because they have never seen the cars. Because of the cost of the new car, this now adds almost $8K to the deal. So basically I felt like they got me there, knowing I had sold my cars back home and then reneged on the agreed terms. They knew I wasn’t leaving without the car and just didn’t want to deal with the paperwork of the trade-ins. I was also told, “yeah” when I asked if the dealer back in Texas knew about the decision so I didn’t call back home for a better explanation. I felt like I had been lied to in order to seal the deal. It is what it is, but buyer beware.

Like I said before, I go through cars extremely often and the dealership could have made a good customer out of me (they have a big inventory of new and pre-owned), but they screwed me in this transaction and I’ll never be back.

Buyers beware.
This is why I don't like going to the dealers. I had an ok experience at this dealer in the sales department when I bough my c63s, but I didn't trade & paid cash. The service at this dealer is another story, probably the worst service experience I had in a Mercedes. Never bother to call or notify when parts arrive. Had to wait over 4 month for a trim piece. Refuses to fix a few issues I had since taking delivery.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 744 Likes on 486 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580

Buyers beware.

I have to say, I am surprised you let them get away with it. I would not have. I would have held them to it. Show them the emails and communications. Force them to keep their word. And if they still did not comply, I would have told them to **** off and backed out of the deal. I've done it once before.

Also in future you should complete paperwork and transaction via FedEx, and when all is signed and sealed, fly in to pick up the car. I always buy cars like this. I have bought 2 cars like this from Park Place, 1 from MB of Baton Rouge, a couple from BMW of South Atlanta, one from Pacific BMW in Glendale. Flying without the deal signed and completed is very risky for the reason you have discovered. Many dealers will allow you to complete a purchase doing paperwork via FedEx. Almost all dealers.

At this point, I suggest you escalate the issue with Mercedes-Benz Corporate if you have a good case. They are very good, and they may make you whole or force the dealer to. I had an issue last year where a small provincial dealer sold me a car for which they had no allocation (without telling me), and after 7 months of waiting I discovered this. I escalated the issue with MBUSA, and they gave me a $4k credit to my E63S which I bought from another dealer.

Also shame this dealer. Your post should be "MB of Fort Mitchell KY lied to me and ripped me off". You should have quotes from your emails with the salesperson, etc. And post your thread not just on the AMG section but the W213 non-AMG section and the W205 section to maximize your damage to their reputation. Make it really evident they lied and took advantage. In addition post the same review on Dealerrater, Yelp and Google.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
This is the first time I’ve had a deal verbally committed to and then then dealership not hold up to their side of the deal when it’s time to sign the papers. Is what it is though.

I feel bad for the salesperson because I told him I don’t think I could give them a good survey. He’s basically begging me to not do that. Hell, for all I know the salesperson just told me that the trades were good and didn’t actually run it past his manager. I want to give the survey like it went down.
Don't feel bad for the sales person. He is a party to ripping you off. You don't know the division of blame within their org, but that isn't your problem. A good sales person would have made them keep their word.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:37 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
C63s coupe
Agreed, shame them as publicly as possible. Let lose the dogs of war -- hire picketers and give them signs to walk the public sidewalks outside the dealer's property on Saturdays, Sundays, and other peak sales periods. And, of course, issue press releases and invite the news media.

Also agreed regarding the sales person. Even if he was not initially a party to ripping you off he at least acquiesced later. A good salesperson would know that such practices will hurt his own reputation and ability to make future repeat and referral sales, for any brand, and would quit rather than be made a tool.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:28 PM

2018 E63s
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Don't feel bad for the sales person. He is a party to ripping you off. You don't know the division of blame within their org, but that isn't your problem. A good sales person would have made them keep their word.
Agreed. There’s been a little correspondence between myself and the sales person. He told me the manager would reply no later than yesterday (Saturday), which he did not do. The more and more I’ve thought about it and put two and two together, I 100% think the salesperson just said the trades would be good and did not run it past his manager. He thought it would be ok and when I got there he got caught. It was my fault for not pressing the issue then and there.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Agreed. There’s been a little correspondence between myself and the sales person. He told me the manager would reply no later than yesterday (Saturday), which he did not do. The more and more I’ve thought about it and put two and two together, I 100% think the salesperson just said the trades would be good and did not run it past his manager. He thought it would be ok and when I got there he got caught. It was my fault for not pressing the issue then and there.
Wasn't your fault at all. While you could have been more skeptical of their offer, it is their responsibility to ensure that the people who are dealing with the customers are cutting deals they can honor. That isn't your responsibility at all.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:51 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 373 Likes on 292 Posts
Or known ahead of time.. I know I would not let anyone come in with that uncertainty .. especially from that distance
Old 05-01-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
GLS63 / GONE: '16 GL63 '15 S63 '14 E63 '13 ML550 '10 E63 '09 C63 '07 E63 '00 E55 '99 C43 '84 190E16V

Buyers beware.
I don't blame the dealer or the salesperson here. At any moment, you could have walked away but you were willing to spend $8k more to take home the car. This dealer has been excellent with me as has West Chester (as noted by another member who posted their experience).

Regardless of the transaction, if it's not to your liking, you have the right to push for a better deal or walk away. You chose to accept the deal as is and then publicly bash the dealer. It seems like there's a lot of omitted information here.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:33 AM

2018 E63s
Originally Posted by cmginc
I don't blame the dealer or the salesperson here. At any moment, you could have walked away but you were willing to spend $8k more to take home the car. This dealer has been excellent with me as has West Chester (as noted by another member who posted their experience).

Regardless of the transaction, if it's not to your liking, you have the right to push for a better deal or walk away. You chose to accept the deal as is and then publicly bash the dealer. It seems like there's a lot of omitted information here.
“That guy” 👆
Old 05-01-2018, 02:51 PM

GLS63 / GONE: '16 GL63 '15 S63 '14 E63 '13 ML550 '10 E63 '09 C63 '07 E63 '00 E55 '99 C43 '84 190E16V

“That guy” 👆
Enjoy your car.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580

The issue is the dealer changed the deal after he flew half way across the country to close the deal. So the dealer deserves to be bashed because deals should be honored when someone has flown in after reaching an agreement.

What I don't understand is where you are coming from: Do you struggle with reading comprehension, or are you just a shill for the dealer?
Old 05-04-2018, 10:43 AM

2018 E63s
Psh

Last edited by GreyAggie; 04-15-2019 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Want to delete it
Old 05-04-2018, 02:31 PM

The issue is the dealer changed the deal after he flew half way across the country to close the deal. So the dealer deserves to be bashed because deals should be honored when someone has flown in after reaching an agreement.

What I don't understand is where you are coming from: Do you struggle with reading comprehension, or are you just a shill for the dealer?
No issues with comprehension. I'm surprised that someone who got taken for $8k more with the alleged changed deal didn't escalate to the GM or Ownership. I read a lot of "I was informed" or "I was told" so "I didn't verify". I think most people would try a little harder to get a better result. These are reasons why I question the entirety of the story. Wait -- maybe I do have comprehension issues, because none of this makes sense.

Maybe it happened the way the OP describes it. Who knows and who cares... in the end, people want to use places like this to tear down reputations publicly instead of resolving matters privately. My other point is that the OP never stated anywhere he attempted to resolve this privately with the dealer. Maybe I missed that part of the story as well with my comprehension issues.

Finally, I continue to receive PM's from the OP who wants to attack instead of simply disagree, telling me I didn't read the entire thread. I expected that the OP would make that first PM conversation public and as expected, he left out some of it to make his point the way he wanted. For the third time to the OP, enjoy the new car.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
...21 GLE53 24 GLE53
The dealer is a bum. You should have walked. Make sure you advise MB USA of your treatment and fill out out the surveys giving the dealership the worst possible ratings. This can cost him money. The dealer "Consumer Satisfaction Index" is what determines how much of the 3% holdback on all his car sales he will receive.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:22 AM

2018 E63s
Nope

Last edited by GreyAggie; 04-15-2019 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Wanted to
Old 05-05-2018, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Maybe I missed that part of the story as well with my comprehension issues.
Yep. I think we are aligned on the root cause of your issues.

I do agree the OP should have walked. There is no scenario in which I would leave those $8000 on the table.