W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car is in! Designo Selenite Grey Magno question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 12:06 PM

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 S550 Coup, 2017 Golf R , 2018 BMW M2 (wifes)
Originally Posted by j0emama
Man I feel ya. I have TERRIBLE luck with the first month of new cars. Had a Saab Viggen one time 2 days in go to a store and WATCH the little kid open his door and give me a door ding. Had a 2018 Golf R and it BLEW UP with under 300 miles on it!!! (Long Story VW gave me 10k credit to buy a new one ) So I am getting Smart (if not poorer) so my New SL550 with matte Selenite gray will see the Xpel store to get ppf before I drive it 1 mile cuz I know that if I did drive it that first mile, I would get a rock chip. Not that Xpel is perfect but it is a LOT better than having no protection at all.

Old 07-31-2019, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 562 Likes on 386 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
I did get a few rock chips on the drive home to San Diego from Maryland. Did European Delivery and then had car sent to Euro Motorsports on the East coast to save a few weeks through the canal versus delivery to my dealer in CA. I've made the coast to coast drive a number of times and don't mind the drive. Thought it would be a nice getting reacquainted with the car run in.

Going through Arkansas, the trucks were terrible. Driving side by side for long periods of time and the roads weren't great either. So, despite best efforts I did end up with a few small chips in the front splitter and front grill area. One 0.7 mm x 1.5 mm chip on the front hood down to bare metal. And one hard ball sized rock dead square middle of the passenger side front windshield. Thankfully just glass and no body damage.

When I got home I went to the dealer to get some touch up paint. The parts guys were unhelpful. Said there was no Magno Grey touch up paint and couldn't give me regular Selenite Grey touch up paint without a VIN number. Sales manager was nice enough to get me a VIN from one of his cars. Parts guys said it wouldn't work, didn't want to sell me the paint anyway.

I explained that the Magno effect is just in the clear coat and an area that small whether clear or magno effect in the clear coat wouldn't be noticeable. Won't work they said, have to respray the whole hood. Finally got them to give me the paint and then went home and touched it up. Brought the car in later for service and asked them to go find the touched up area. They of course couldn't find it. After I pointed it out, asked them to find it again, they could, but with difficulty. They finally admitted that a full panel respray would not be required in all cases.

Also spoke to the folks at PPF at one of the Cars and Coffee events. They said that their paint correction folks were really good and that they could touch up small areas on a panel of Magno finish cars without doing the whole panel. Their person could use a micro airbrush and do super detailed feathering that was undetectable.

In the end I elected not to get the car wrapped, but it was nice to know the touch up option may exist.

Also heard later from one of the folks on the forum that Mercedes now has a paint code for Selenite Grey Magno touch up paint, but I haven't tried to go buy any.

Car is a year and 9 months old and fingers crossed, no other chips or dings since the cross country trip.

Regular maintenance of the paint is super easy. As instructed by the Mercedes factory tech in Germany, I wash the car using soap with no added shine, rinse, dry, and done
Old 08-07-2019, 12:58 PM

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
2020 E63S Wagon, 2007 335i convertible (tuned to 400hp), 2011 Audi A4 Avant
Hey guys; brand new member here. E63S Wagon on its way, delivery by October hopefully. Am planning to immediately cover in matte PPF product (it is selenite gray magno matte). Wondering if Xpel is the best "matte" PPF out there or if there are other better ones per members' experiences. Also what is the expected cost to completely cover the car in film?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-07-2019, 01:03 PM

Another question: I love the newer vertical-bar panamerica grill MB is starting to put in the higher end cars, but I believe the 2020 E63s will not have this yet (face lift scheduled for 2021?). Has anybody bought a third party "panamerica" grill and swapped it out? Maybe this needs to go in another thread...
Old 08-07-2019, 01:44 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
AMG GT 43 4-door coupé
Hi everyone, calling from Europe
Just got my (wife tells me to use our) AMG GT 43 4-door Coupé.
It has the blue magno paint, and after a lot of reading through different websites I’ve finally decided to cover it with Xpel.
Lucky the car has only done 35 km so I’m hoping it’s still in perfect condition.
Just would like to thank everyone for a very useful discussion. Still wondering if I should protect the leather interior.
Only problem is that the cost is eye watering and it will take 4-5 days.
I’m planning to try to do some before-after photos in a couple of weeks.
Cheers
The following users liked this post:
Dino333 (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 10:29 PM

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 S550 Coup, 2017 Golf R , 2018 BMW M2 (wifes)
Originally Posted by E63Wagen
Hey guys; brand new member here. E63S Wagon on its way, delivery by October hopefully. Am planning to immediately cover in matte PPF product (it is selenite gray magno matte). Wondering if Xpel is the best "matte" PPF out there or if there are other better ones per members' experiences. Also what is the expected cost to completely cover the car in film?

Thanks in advance!
First of all congratulations on an AMAZING car! I have had roughly 14 cars and trucks covered with Xpel for my family business. BMWs Volkswagen Rs, Mercedes S for just a few- and now I am getting my new SL550 delivered next week in Selenite Magno... I dont know if other brands are better, but I have to say I am 100% satisfied with the Xpel - with that said NONE of them are 100% perfect. But Xpel has been a great product- here in Central Texas between Austin and San Antonio, it is 100% construction all the time and gravel trucks are everywhere. Since the SL is so low to the ground (51") It will be the line of fire, and as such I am going to get the hood and the front bumper DOUBLE expelled (with the matte "satin" product)
It wont be cheap but with Magno paint- better safe than sorry. It is worth the money. I would say to over your ENTIRE car with Satin (Front lights and Mirrors as well) you'd be in the $ 8000 range.

My new baby on my way to me- 3300 miles never titled- fully loaded 32% depreciation off new. Being delivered straight to the Xpel shop in San Antonio.

Last edited by Dino333; 08-07-2019 at 10:41 PM.
Bernard Smith (08-08-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 11:48 AM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by Bernard Smith
Hi everyone, calling from Europe
Just got my (wife tells me to use our) AMG GT 43 4-door Coupé.
It has the blue magno paint, and after a lot of reading through different websites I’ve finally decided to cover it with Xpel.
Lucky the car has only done 35 km so I’m hoping it’s still in perfect condition.
Just would like to thank everyone for a very useful discussion. Still wondering if I should protect the leather interior.
Only problem is that the cost is eye watering and it will take 4-5 days.
I’m planning to try to do some before-after photos in a couple of weeks.
Cheers
What color is the interior? I'd probably go with leather protection on anything other than a black interior. I had red leather in my '12 SLS and '17 R8 that were treated and it was amazing. Wife would wear new denim that would have stained untreated seats but the blue just wiped off with a damp cloth when it was treated.
Bernard Smith (08-08-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Carac
What color is the interior? I'd probably go with leather protection on anything other than a black interior. I had red leather in my '12 SLS and '17 R8 that were treated and it was amazing. Wife would wear new denim that would have stained untreated seats but the blue just wiped off with a damp cloth when it was treated.
I have always sworn by Aerospace 303 for my leather interior. Of course, I use it primarily because my car is a convertible ('07 335i), and I know 303 has awesome UV protection. I know it has been around a long time, so if there are better alternatives that people have used, please join in!
Old 08-08-2019, 12:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
VW Golf

Thanks in advance!
When did they tell you is your production date? Mine is the first decade of August. And I just want to get an idea of when can I expect delivery on this.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Deanchen1993
When did they tell you is your production date? Mine is the first decade of August. And I just want to get an idea of when can I expect delivery on this.
What do you mean by the first "decade" of August? I asked for a delivery date earlier this week and was told it was too early to know. My production date is supposedly 08/3D/2019, which I believe may mean the 3rd week of this month. Will post here as soon as I know. BTW, I'm on the west coast (Bay Area)
Old 08-08-2019, 01:20 PM

VW Golf
What do you mean by the first "decade" of August? I asked for a delivery date earlier this week and was told it was too early to know. My production date is supposedly 08/3D/2019, which I believe may mean the 3rd week of this month. Will post here as soon as I know. BTW, I'm on the west coast (Bay Area)
Decade means 10 days. Your 8/3D means the last 10 days of August. They apparent divide their production days in a month by 1D 2D 3D. October is such a long wait though. I have been waiting for 3 months now. My is 8/1D. I wouldn’t expect that it takes more than 2days to make the car. After that, the shipping on the sea probably take about a month? I’m in LA.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 231 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Decade means 10 days. Your 8/3D means the last 10 days of August. They apparent divide their production days in a month by 1D 2D 3D. October is such a long wait though. I have been waiting for 3 months now. My is 8/1D. I wouldn’t expect that it takes more than 2days to make the car. After that, the shipping on the sea probably take about a month? I’m in LA.
The unknown variable is getting the 2020 model certified. The car will sit in Long Beach until the "EO" is issued by the California Air Resources Board. This is required before the car can be delivered anywhere in the US. The 2019 EO for the E63S was issued on 11/15/2018.

The date is mostly determined by when MBUSA submits the car for testing. They generally release a schedule to the dealers in August that shows release dates for all models, and their submission for CARB testing and subsequent release usually tracks that document pretty well. Your salesman will be able to give you a better delivery estimate after he gets that schedule.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:44 PM

2018 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by whoover
The unknown variable is getting the 2020 model certified. The car will sit in Long Beach until the "EO" is issued by the California Air Resources Board. This is required before the car can be delivered anywhere in the US. The 2019 EO for the E63S was issued on 11/15/2018.

The date is mostly determined by when MBUSA submits the car for testing. They generally release a schedule to the dealers in August that shows release dates for all models, and their submission for CARB testing and subsequent release usually tracks that document pretty well. Your salesman will be able to give you a better delivery estimate after he gets that schedule.
If the past is any indication they will submit the paperwork for testing around the same time as last year (i.e. 2020's will be released for sale in November). They like to give dealerships a full year of availability to sell through their inventory. Holding back the paperwork artificially postpones the beginning of sales of a model year, but production continues regardless of when they go on sale. Even though the 2019's have only been on sale for 9 months, they've been in production much longer than that. Other manufacturers don't care and will happily only sell a model year for 6 months (looking at you Land Rover) if certification is delayed before moving to the next, not so much Mercedes.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:42 PM

VW Golf
Originally Posted by whoover

Just talked to Mercedes Germantown. They explained that since 2020’s model does not change in terms of emission. The process of getting approved won’t take nearly as now. Around 1 month to their lot.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 372 Likes on 244 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon, 2017 Z51 Corvette
Originally Posted by Carac
What do they do to the leather for protection?
Old 08-08-2019, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 231 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Just talked to Mercedes Germantown. They explained that since 2020’s model does not change in terms of emission. The process of getting approved won’t take nearly as now. Around 1 month to their lot.
Again, certifcation date is a marketing decision. The 2019s had the same engine as the 2018s. The "length" of the certification process is artificially determined. It's shortly after MB submits the family to CARB.

Until they get the release schedule from MBUSA, they're blowing smoke.
VPC_E63S (08-09-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 05:03 PM

2018 E63S Wagon
The 2019's didn't either, Mercedes just intentionally withheld submitting the paperwork stating there were no meaningful emissions changes for 2019 until they needed the car approved for sale. It was a pure marketing/sales strategic decision, had nothing to actually do with emissions. The 2018's took longer than expected to get the new emissions testing certified, being the first year of the W213 E63, and ended up holding up sales until October 2017 so Mercedes just "engineered" their regulations paperwork submission so that the 2019s would be released for sale 12 months after the 2018's were. We're just expecting them to employ the same strategy so that the sale window for 2018s wasn't just 8 months.
VPC_E63S (08-09-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 05:42 PM

AMG GT 43 4-door coupé
Hi, I’ve the luxury lounge option with macchiato leather, so quite delicate.
Oddly the shop that will do the Xpel said they have not done an interior protection.
Still time for that, first is the paintwork and wheels. I would like to see an example before deciding.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:01 AM

AMG GT 43 4-door coupé
Xpel before and after

I finally managed to get a complete Xpel coating done on our new AMG GT 4-door. Look's good, but who knows what it will be like when the warranty runs out in 10 years time.

A couple of photos attached, before and after...

Detail before the Xpel coating

Here is the same detail with the Xpel coating on...
Old 09-14-2019, 07:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 300

Thanks in advance!

SunTek and I think LLumar have a "matte" film. Check their websites. I am not sure how they compare in quality, but I think it is 1-2k less than Xpel Stealth which is supposed to be more of a "satin" look. I went with XPEL because of their reputation and because the best installer in my area only had XPEL, but have read many owners who have been happy with Suntek.
Bernard Smith (09-15-2019)
Old 01-24-2020, 12:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz S500L and S500 Night Edition
Anyone out there resprayed a panel on there Selenite grey magno car and the process needed to match the panel with the rest of the car? The new panel on mine is very matt whilst the rest of the car has a slight sheen so there must be I guess a process hopefully to match it to the rest of the car I need to take. Any help would be much appreciated. Best garno