Sponsored by:

European Driving advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 08:12 PM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Audi R8, Alfa Romeo Quad, 991tt,cls550, 997tt, 85 Carrera
European Driving advice

I had originally tried to schedule the e63 or the Porsche Panamera for European delivery in around the first week of June back in February. I could not get a commitment from either manufacturer and thereby cancelled both cars. Moving forward I reserved a BMW M550 thru Sixt car rental. My question is regarding speeding laws in Europe-(Germany, Switzerland, France). Do they use radar speed detection, if so would my Uniden radar detector work there?
Old 05-22-2018, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,323 Likes on 2,057 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by 2020
I had originally tried to schedule the e63 or the Porsche Panamera for European delivery in around the first week of June back in February. I could not get a commitment from either manufacturer and thereby cancelled both cars. Moving forward I reserved a BMW M550 thru Sixt car rental. My question is regarding speeding laws in Europe-(Germany, Switzerland, France). Do they use radar speed detection, if so would my Uniden radar detector work there?
The majority of speed traps in Europe are stationary and for that reason easy to identify (via smartphone app). There are also plenty of mobile traps but not in driving police cars like in the US. More like side of the road parked vehicle traps. There are European versions of radar detectors as the frequencies differ but they are all illegal.
Even the use of smartphone apps is illegal. Germany is the easiest country to speed in and the fines are the lowest. France used to be so much fun to drive fast on the peage (tollroads that are privatly owned) but the laws have changed dramatically and they can actually confiscate (and keep) the car if you go too fast. Then you are up to pay Sixt for the whole car as insurance wouldn’t cover the loss.

Getting caught with an RD/app in Switzerland will cost you 200 euro and they will confiscate the device or phone. Which is nothing compared to the actual speeding fines. Don’t get caught!
Even 20mph over the speed can cost 500 euros, loss of the drivers license for a few months (if Swiss) and go to court. If you go really fast, fines have been known to exceed $100k without difficulty.
Most tickets you will receive via mail after your return to the US. German/french tickets can easily be ignored if you don’t show back up for a while but the Swiss may arrest you at the border for unpaid tickets and you go to jail quickly. Don’t come back for 2 years if you don’t want to pay the fines.

That said, a smartphone app is always worth it so that you cover all stationary traps. Mobile trap locations are also broadcast on radio stations.
Plenty of places to speed legally in Germany and speeding on restricted highways is never a big deal. It’s a bigger offense to push people aggressively off the left lane or not obay other traffic laws.

The biggest issue in case of a high-speed accident is that rental car companies will void their insurance coverage. This can become pricey...

All this sounds a bit dramatic but it’s better than in the US. Some common sense and you are good to flow with the traffic that is always faster than the speed limit. Just watch when the locals slow down

Last edited by Wolfman; 05-22-2018 at 09:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfman:
24Hours (05-23-2018), NYCSoiL (05-24-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Also, why in the world rent a 550i? You can rent an E63 or AMG GT. Much more fun...
Old 05-22-2018, 09:16 PM

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts
2013 C63
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Also, why in the world rent a 550i? You can rent an E63 or AMG GT. Much more fun...
Do the rental companies in Europe offer that much variety in cars? Companies like Hertz and all the other big coporate rental companies all have toyotas here lol
Old 05-22-2018, 09:26 PM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Audi R8, Alfa Romeo Quad, 991tt,cls550, 997tt, 85 Carrera
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Thanks for the advice Wolfman. Kind of depressing. We rented an Audi S7 last year and the brief stretches of unlimited speed zones on the Autobahn were a total blast. Unfortunately most of the trip this time will be through Switzerland and France. I wanted to rent something different since I have an e63 here. Who knows maybe they will have an M5 available. I would love to take the AMG GT but the trunk is not big enough for my 2 teenagers.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 2020
Thanks for the advice Wolfman. Kind of depressing. We rented an Audi S7 last year and the brief stretches of unlimited speed zones on the Autobahn were a total blast. Unfortunately most of the trip this time will be through Switzerland and France. I wanted to rent something different since I have an e63 here. Who knows maybe they will have an M5 available. I would love to take the AMG GT but the trunk is not big enough for my 2 teenagers.
Sixt should have the M5 when more readily available but it will likely be limited to 160mph; not sure that the rental car would sport the M5 driver package for full speed. I looked and they only had the M3, M4, M6GC and M760l (which could be fun; it's pretty fast). We typically rent convertibles which is more fun in the summer time and we typically end up in southern France.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by izzy63
Do the rental companies in Europe offer that much variety in cars? Companies like Hertz and all the other big coporate rental companies all have toyotas here lol
Sixt is pretty good in its selection and better than all others in terms of price/performance. Newest cars at the lowest price are at the Frankfurt Airport. Hertz is horrible IMO. Less for more. I can rent an E63s for less than 100 Euros a day (plus tax, fees)
Old 05-22-2018, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 569 Likes on 392 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
I got popped by a stationary camera in Germany for just a couple km/h over the 30 km/h limit. Fine was 18 Euros.

Most of the time I used the speed limit adoption feature of the cruise control as I was aware of the strict enforcement and potentially high fines, especially in Switzerland.

Since coming back home have seen some Youtube videos of people getting popped in Switzerland and being basically extorted for some huge fees. According to some I talked to, it's kind of arbitrary and based on how much money they think you have or how expensive your car is.

Thankfully, no tickets showed up from the Swiss
The following users liked this post:
24Hours (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 03:32 AM

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
2018 E63S
In France you can get serious trouble for having a radar detector in the car, even if it is in your suitcase or something.
Even using a mobile app with warning for stationary speed traps is illegal in France and might result in serious trouble.

You should also know that they are (i many european countries) allowed to hold you until the eventually fine is paid in full and the payment is verified, in most cases they will follow you to an ATM.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 78degrees
In France you can get serious trouble for having a radar detector in the car, even if it is in your suitcase or something.
Even using a mobile app with warning for stationary speed traps is illegal in France and might result in serious trouble.

You should also know that they are (i many european countries) allowed to hold you until the eventually fine is paid in full and the payment is verified, in most cases they will follow you to an ATM.
We used to live in Switzerland. And it wasn’t uncommon that the whole highway was narrowed to a single lane (one direction) after a radar trap and the police would pull out all offenders.
For foreign license plates, they would literally open the bank on a Sunday to process larger payments.

Still, I never found driving in Switzerland cumbersome apart from a couple of bottlenecks. Great highways and beautiful scenery.
if you want to go fast you go to Germany or Italy

Italy = fast driving with frequent stops on highway gas stations to not get timed between toll booths...

Last edited by Wolfman; 05-23-2018 at 04:12 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:08 AM

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
2018 E63S
Like frenchmen will do anything to provide service to foreigners.. If you can't get money from the ATM they will most likely either lock you up or take your car until you can pay.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:33 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 E63S
And as mentioned... tolls tolls and tolls! For Switzerland, you'll need to purchase the window vingette (I think it was like 40 CHF).
Old 05-23-2018, 08:40 AM

Received 158 Likes on 105 Posts
2019 E63S wagon; 2016 Landrover Landmark
Great summary, Wolfman. I was in those countries 2mo ago and found the HUD very useful for keeping track of the speed limits (not always obvious w/o the HUD). Just as Wolfman said: Switzerland is beautiful and has pristine roads, but speeding ist vorbotten! Cameras are everywhere. Sister and her husband live in Zurich and they told us of a guy that spent a year in jail for some speeding offense. France used to be fun, but we drove to Chamonix and I almost got pinched on the very windy decent by a team with a mobile radar station and motorcycle. Instead of pulling me over, they took the guy on my tail! Poor guy.

Be safe, and unless you're in the no-limit zones in Germany, stick to the posted limits... it just isn't worth the trouble otherwise.

Cheers