Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Break-in Period vs No Break-in

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 10:44 AM

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2018 E63S
I don’t think you’ll have major issues either way but I prefer a gradual break in for the reasons illustrated in this video:

Old 08-04-2018, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 569 Likes on 392 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
I've typically followed a reasonably aggressive break-in schedule on my bikes. Having talked to a number of race shops about the issue and a mechanic for one of the factory Suzuki teams.

Take it easy for the first few hundred miles letting the engine freely rev with light load and not getting it too hot. This progressively increasing the load and rpms for the next bit. Then some full throttle runs to really seat everything.

Never had a problem with a street or race bike's motor or transmission.

I did ask the Mercedes tech who was showing me the car at delivery time in Germany. He seemed very knowledgeable about the E63 and AMGs in general. I thought he might say AMG motors are run in at the factory, you're good to go. But he advised me to follow the manual (my car didn't have a sticker on the windshield).

So that's what I did. As this is my first Mercedes and first AMG and given all the computers and data logging they could be doing, I didn't want to risk any warranty issues just because I wanted to hammer it on the autobahn a little sooner.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:53 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
535XIT, E63S
Originally Posted by E634Me
I've typically followed a reasonably aggressive break-in schedule on my bikes. Having talked to a number of race shops about the issue and a mechanic for one of the factory Suzuki teams.

Take it easy for the first few hundred miles letting the engine freely rev with light load and not getting it too hot. This progressively increasing the load and rpms for the next bit. Then some full throttle runs to really seat everything.

Never had a problem with a street or race bike's motor or transmission.

I did ask the Mercedes tech who was showing me the car at delivery time in Germany. He seemed very knowledgeable about the E63 and AMGs in general. I thought he might say AMG motors are run in at the factory, you're good to go. But he advised me to follow the manual (my car didn't have a sticker on the windshield).

So that's what I did. As this is my first Mercedes and first AMG and given all the computers and data logging they could be doing, I didn't want to risk any warranty issues just because I wanted to hammer it on the autobahn a little sooner.
I believe this is the prime reason for break in period:

NANOSLIDE® coating of the cylinder liners reduces the friction loss while contributing to excellent efficiency. The cylinder head uses an aluminium-zirconium alloy, which is a better conductor of heat than the standard aluminium alloy.

"Spectacle honing" is another measure for reducing the friction and therefore consumption: in this complex process, the cylinder liners receive their mechanical surface treatment when already bolted in place. A jig resembling spectacles is bolted to the engine block in place of the cylinder head, which is mounted later. The honing of the engine block already produces the same state of stress as when the cylinder heads are mounted. For this reason, the tension of the piston rings can be reduced, which leads to a further reduction in friction loss and lower oil consumption.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,323 Likes on 2,057 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
All our cars are broken in hard for the last 20 years or so. When living in Europe and driving long-distance through Germany it was virtually impossible to do otherwise IMO, the cars drive better and stronger that way as well. Vic's point of getting temps up first makes sense but was likely more critical in the past. AMG engine are pre run-in anyways.
The following users liked this post:
s26singh (08-07-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 10:13 PM

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts
2015 Toyota Corolla LE
Since taking delivery, I have been driving this car as I normally would. Have put it into race 2-3 times with manual shifting.

What are your guys thoughts after 1600 kms? I normally would change engine oil and diff oil - but this is my first AMG - so no real world experience with these cars.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:47 PM
sjb

Received 174 Likes on 64 Posts
S213 E63
Originally Posted by Wolfman
All our cars are broken in hard for the last 20 years or so. When living in Europe and driving long-distance through Germany it was virtually impossible to do otherwise IMO, the cars drive better and stronger that way as well. Vic's point of getting temps up first makes sense but was likely more critical in the past. AMG engine are pre run-in anyways.
+1.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by BC-2
I don’t think you’ll have major issues either way but I prefer a gradual break in for the reasons illustrated in this video:

https://youtu.be/oklqJnm7_TY
I still believe in hard break in, but like politics sometimes we get to assign what people from the other camp mean by hard or soft break-ins.
I think the answer may be somewhere in the middle

Hard break in with no more than 50% throttle and staying below 4000rpm after the engine is warmed up.