How to Calculate a Lease Forward and Reverse

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 12:53 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
RS7
How to Calculate a Lease Forward and Reverse

Lease Calculator

On every forum i've been a part of over many years now, too many to count, I see countless individuals confused about how to calculate a lease.
It's a very important part of leasing, understanding what the numbers mean and what you're getting yourself into.
I've quickly constructed a google sheets document so anyone can calculate their leases forwards or in reverse.
Let me know if you have any questions about how to go about understanding the calculations.
And before someone else much smarter than me(and i'm sure there are many out there) notice some errors, be kind, this is my first shot and i did it in about 15 minutes.
Now this will give you a pretty accurate number but there are a bunch of other fees like tire tax, a/c tax, ppsa etc that may be residualized or not so use this calculator to get you close.
Cheers all.

Last edited by CanuckE63; 08-08-2018 at 11:35 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by CanuckE63:
bobblehead (08-08-2018), northern2020 (08-09-2018), s26singh (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Looks good to me, there are quite a few good calculators now on the net...

https://www.calculator.net/auto-lease-calculator.html

https://www.edmunds.com/calculators/car-lease.html

etc...
Old 08-08-2018, 02:26 PM

RS7
Nice, those are good calculators as well.
I like that the google sheets version updates on the fly.
Can't figure out how to have each user edit their own sheet, probably not possible.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 Mercedes E63 S, Boring SUV, 2015 CLS63 AMR Stage 1 (traded), 2015 Audi S8 w/ APR stage 2 (sold)
Originally Posted by CanuckE63
Lease Calculator

On every forum i've been a part of over many years now, too many to count, I see countless individuals confused about how to calculate a lease.
It's a very important part of leasing, understanding what the numbers mean and what you're getting yourself into.
I've quickly constructed a google sheets document so anyone can calculate their leases forwards or in reverse.
Now before someone gets his panties in a twist, just chill out, this is for everyone and not a personal attack so take a chill pill.
Let me know if you have any questions about how to go about understanding the calculations.
And before someone else much smarter than me(and i'm sure there are many out there) notice some errors, be kind, this is my first shot and i did it in about 15 minutes.
Now this will give you a pretty accurate number but there are a bunch of other fees like tire tax, a/c tax, ppsa etc that may be residualized or not so use this calculator to get you close.
Cheers all.
I've purchased / leased more than 20 cars in the 20 years I've been driving. I ended up purchasing my 4 most recent cars for various reasons, but I've leased quite a few cars prior to that. In my experience (if you know the exact car you want), a lease broker can usually offer a much better lease compared to walking into a car dealership and leasing. This is especially the case with Mercedes, BMW, Porsche (some) and I think Infiniti as well. Or simply just go on swap-a-lease and take over someone's lease. I've done it before and I'll do it again if I lease again. Since I don't like long-term commitments, a short lease like 8-24 months is very appealing. About 2 years ago, a good friend of mine took over a fully loaded 2015 Panamera Turbo- 12 months for $1050 per month. He was only allowed 7000 miles but it worked out for him. Sorry if I got off topic a bit.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:47 AM

RS7
Originally Posted by Andrew-NY
I've purchased / leased more than 20 cars in the 20 years I've been driving. I ended up purchasing my 4 most recent cars for various reasons, but I've leased quite a few cars prior to that. In my experience (if you know the exact car you want), a lease broker can usually offer a much better lease compared to walking into a car dealership and leasing. This is especially the case with Mercedes, BMW, Porsche (some) and I think Infiniti as well. Or simply just go on swap-a-lease and take over someone's lease. I've done it before and I'll do it again if I lease again. Since I don't like long-term commitments, a short lease like 8-24 months is very appealing. About 2 years ago, a good friend of mine took over a fully loaded 2015 Panamera Turbo- 12 months for $1050 per month. He was only allowed 7000 miles but it worked out for him. Sorry if I got off topic a bit.
Great idea if you like very short term commitments for your next vehicle.
Also, you can usually get a pretty sweet deal on a lease transfer as the person holding the lease is incentivized for whatever reason to get rid of it and in most cases you can get some cash thrown on top of it.
Just make sure the lease you're getting into is a good deal and you're not overpaying because someone else got into a rotten deal.