Engine check light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 12:52 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
E63 2018
Engine check light

Is this miss fire ?

I took my car to the dealer and after checking the codes they said the following and I quote:

Hi, at this point I can’t confirm exactly when it will
Be ready but yes we found the problem I have discute codes on 2 cylinders but the issue is that all plugs and coils were already replaced so maybe it’s something else .. we contacted Mercedes and waiting on there instructions on how they want us to proceed ...
I’ll keep u posted ..

1 day latter ...

Jhony Mercedes benz answered back. It's a software issue, the update is coming out at the end of October. Mercedes benz is telling the tech to clear the check engine light and bring back the car when the update comes out.
The following users liked this post:
tonecas (09-30-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 569 Likes on 392 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Interesting. That was one of the possibilities I had tossed out earlier.

Or could be as in the case of the 2003 Ford 6.0 l diesel engine where they used a software fix to work around a hardware issue.

Still don’t have my car back. Last cold start and drive tests took place today with data sent back to MB. To late for them to review and release the car today, so hopefully early Monday. In my case it looks like they replaced all the injectors amoung other things.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:32 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
535XIT, E63S
Originally Posted by E634Me
Interesting. That was one of the possibilities I had tossed out earlier.

Or could be as in the case of the 2003 Ford 6.0 l diesel engine where they used a software fix to work around a hardware issue.

Still don’t have my car back. Last cold start and drive tests took place today with data sent back to MB. To late for them to review and release the car today, so hopefully early Monday. In my case it looks like they replaced all the injectors amoung other things.

It was also the fuel injectors in my case. The good news is that I have not had a cel for a month now and it is a great car. The frustration of the process is tough it don’t give up.

Last edited by V70cat; 09-29-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:46 AM

E63 2018
Thank you guys for the comments and support.
I really felt I wanted to cry. Honestly I am in love with my car.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:55 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
skoda octavia MkII 2.0
So, can it be a software bug that is leading to hardware failures?
Old 09-30-2018, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 569 Likes on 392 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
In the case of the 2003 F-250 6.0 l diesel, they used a pilot injection scheme where a short injection was triggered to start combustion followed by the main injection shot after a very brief delay. Apparently this was causing some injectors to get stuck open as their design wasn't up to the rapid cycling rate. So the fix was to turn off the pilot injection.

Ford didn't communicate exactly what the fix was doing, but rather couched it as a recall to improve cold starts and something else. Came with a free oil change.

Following the service visit I immediately noticed the power output was reduced. Also noticed that the truck was significantly louder at idle. Before the recall I didn't have to turn the truck off at a drive through. Following the recall, turning off the truck at a drive through made it much easier for myself and the person on the other end to hear each other. This firmware fix apparently took care of the injector failures.

Over time, Ford made a few adjustments to the tuning and restored some of the power, but I'm not sure it ever came back to the full output prior to their original recall. In fact, it was the dealer who recommended I look at a tuner to increase power following my service visit to find out what happened to my original power output.

Made a huge difference. 16.0 second 1/4 mile at 84 MPH and a 2.3 s 60 ft time stock, 14.33 s 1/4 mile at 93 MPH and a 1.8 s 60 ft time with the Superchips tuner.

Bad software can certainly break hardware, but on the flip side, software workarounds can be used to help with hardware issues. To the extent that a manufacturer can find a software workaround to save the expense of a campaign of injector replacements, that could be a huge savings. But, at least in the case of the 2003 Ford 6.0 l diesel I think it also came at the expense of some reduction in the original power output spec.

Hopeful that whatever the fix for the E63 misfire turns out to be it doesn't come at the expense of performance reductions.
The following users liked this post:
tonecas (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 07:35 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
skoda octavia MkII 2.0
hope that won't happen with E63. that is a big scam
Old 10-02-2018, 10:50 AM

E63 2018
Any hardware can miss function if software is not well coded.

You can see mobile phones like iPhones
Even airplane hardware can miss function due to software.
Or even computers if the drivers are not good, the hardware can malfunction.