Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Renntech stage 2 tune from the dealer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 187 Posts
MY17 S63AMG - MBUSA Buyback. MY16 SL63 - Sold MY19 W213 E63s. 2020 W213 E63s Wagon
Renntech stage 2 tune from the dealer

Just watched this video and wonder why some dealer accepts a Renntech ECU tune and turbo upgrades and some don’t.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by S63AMG888
Just watched this video and wonder why some dealer accepts a Renntech ECU tune and turbo upgrades and some don’t.

https://youtu.be/a5r2mAUZk7U
Some 30+ US Mercedes dealers are also Renntech dealers. They sell the mods. It's maddening that this network is so randomly located. For example, there are none in California.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
It's a Renntech development car, built at their facility in Florida and put up for sale recently.
Looks like someone finally bought it and brought the car to Nashville, that dealer did no work on it at all.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MY17 S63AMG - MBUSA Buyback. MY16 SL63 - Sold MY19 W213 E63s. 2020 W213 E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by whoover
Some 30+ US Mercedes dealers are also Renntech dealers. They sell the mods. It's maddening that this network is so randomly located. For example, there are none in California.
Thanks. Yeah, that was my question. Why some dealers accepts Renntech tuned Mercedes and some don’t. I do know one dealer in San Bernardino county that accepts Renntech tune Mercedes.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by absent
It's a Renntech development car, built at their facility in Florida and put up for sale recently.
Looks like someone finally bought it and brought the car to Nashville, that dealer did no work on it at all.
Thanks, I did see this E63s on one of Renntech’s video and understand that E63s was not modded there at that Mercedes dealer, but for a shop foreman to state on video that they work on and honor Renntech tunes are something I have not hear of.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan

Thanks, I did see this E63s on one of Renntech’s video and understand that E63s was not modded there at that Mercedes dealer, but for a shop foreman to state on video that they work on and honor Renntech tunes are something I have not hear of.
That dealer is one of the 30-so that also sell Renntech mods. It's not a coincidence.
https://www.renntechmercedes.com/ind.../north-america
Old 12-15-2018, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts
2018 W213 E 63 S AMG Sedan
Are the prices the same if you buy it through the dealer? I'm going to guess no... lol
Old 12-15-2018, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by MuffinFlavored
Are the prices the same if you buy it through the dealer? I'm going to guess no... lol
it is
Old 12-16-2018, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kponti
it is
Some dealers do it because it is easy money for them but lets make it clear, none of it is sanctioned by MBUSA even though they are aware of that fact.
When there is a problem though, and they do find out about the mods, they slap Status 8 on your car faster then you can say Hail Mary.....
Old 12-16-2018, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Some dealers do it because it is easy money for them but lets make it clear, none of it is sanctioned by MBUSA even though they are aware of that fact.
When there is a problem though, and they do find out about the mods, they slap Status 8 on your car faster then you can say Hail Mary.....
Some people say that MB turns a blind eye if they see a Renntech tune and they accept it
Old 12-16-2018, 01:32 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
You are 100% correct. I’m one of those guys that modifies just about everything. I just can’t seem to help myself! The dealership that I use in Colorado is a Renntech dealership and very mod friendly. The last car I purchased from them was already modified (full Renntech, turbo and all) by the dealership when I bought it. The dealership stated that the Renntech mods were covered under warranty. However, it’s very important to understand that Mercedes absolutely will not warranty a Renntech modified car is there’s an engine or drivetrain issue that’s possibly related to the modifications. It’s the dealership that’s putting their neck on line and you want to make sure you get your warranty in writing. Even though my dealership did put this in writing I still wonder what would happen if I blew an engine.

Just realize you’re always taking risk when modifying a vehicle. To me, the risk is worth it but I’ve been fortunate so far and have never had any major issues. I might feel very differently if something goes wrong one day.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by G55K

You are 100% correct. I’m one of those guys that modifies just about everything. I just can’t seem to help myself! The dealership that I use in Colorado is a Renntech dealership and very mod friendly. The last car I purchased from them was already modified (full Renntech, turbo and all) by the dealership when I bought it. The dealership stated that the Renntech mods were covered under warranty. However, it’s very important to understand that Mercedes absolutely will not warranty a Renntech modified car is there’s an engine or drivetrain issue that’s possibly related to the modifications. It’s the dealership that’s putting their neck on line and you want to make sure you get your warranty in writing. Even though my dealership did put this in writing I still wonder what would happen if I blew an engine.

Just realize you’re always taking risk when modifying a vehicle. To me, the risk is worth it but I’ve been fortunate so far and have never had any major issues. I might feel very differently if something goes wrong one day.
When does just an ECU tune like Renntech/Eurocharged/Weistec... what is the most common problem? All they are doing is adding a few pounds of boost in like 3rd gear+ right? To get an extra 80whp? What is the risk, throwing a rod? Do they even change things like timing in these tunes?
Old 12-16-2018, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
When does just an ECU tune like Renntech/Eurocharged/Weistec... what is the most common problem? All they are doing is adding a few pounds of boost in like 3rd gear+ right? To get an extra 80whp? What is the risk, throwing a rod? Do they even change things like timing in these tunes?
They absolutely change timings as well as boost. AMG engines are so strongly built, I don't think throwing a rod is likely. It's more apt to be something else failing from the extra torque, like transmission parts, flex disks, etc. Also, it's tough enough to get a CEL resolved with an unmodified engine. They'd have to find the "out" of a modified ECU very attractive.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So Mercedes dealers that sells Renntech upgrades are the ones that is ultimately warranting the car if something goes wrong, but what about people that buys say a Renntech ECU mail in tune and downpipes directly from Renntech or one of its distributors?
Old 12-17-2018, 06:49 AM

Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 E63S
So Mercedes dealers that sells Renntech upgrades are the ones that is ultimately warranting the car if something goes wrong, but what about people that buys say a Renntech ECU mail in tune and downpipes directly from Renntech or one of its distributors?

I don't believe it's that simple, to be honest. Yes, some Mercedes dealers resell Renntech upgrades or Brabus or whatever, and yes, some will warranty those parts and say they will not void your overall car warranty just because you have said parts installed. However, if you blow up your engine (unlikely) or if you bomb your transmission (not nearly as unlikely), a Mercedes dealer will not go on out a limb to protect you from MB, as they could themselves get in trouble with MB. The only universal truths here:

- if you mod your cars habitually, just be prepared to have to come out of pocket at some point in your life (may not happen, but understand it's a real possibility)
- no dealer will sacrifice their relationship with MB for any customer, when it comes down to warrantying a large claim, where the failure was due to excessive power/etc
- if a dealer does choose to pay for your new transmission or engine, consider this an exception to the rule, and not the rule itself

I'm not trying to scare people from modding their cars, but it's important to understand the reality here, and not just 3rd/4th hand stories.

Last edited by Ralcbah; 12-17-2018 at 07:26 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by G55K

Tuning my cars has been my vice also, like you said, I just can't help myself.
I had my E55 blow up at 600 miles when on my way to dealer to install Renntech mods, God must have been watching me.
Fuel pump just exploded damaging the engine to the point it had to be replaced, there was MBUSA investigation and had it happen after the mods, they would wash their hands off (even though the fuel pump had nothing to do with compressor or ECU).
Dealer admitted that Renntech would not assume (rightly so) responsibility and I would have a long legal battle with MB that I would most likely lose anyway.
The bill (in 2003) was $44k.
Btw, I did not send the parts back to Renntech, told dealer to keep them and later installed them in the repaired car with new engine.

Last edited by absent; 12-17-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Tuning my cars has been my vice also, like you said, I just can't help myself.
I had my E55 blow up at 600 miles when on my way to dealer to install Renntech mods, God must have been watching me.
Fuel pump just exploded damaging the engine to the point it had to be replaced, there was MBUSA investigation and had it happen after the mods, they would wash their hands off (even though the fuel pump had nothing to do with compressor or ECU).
Dealer admitted that Renntech would not assume (rightly so) responsibility and I would have a long legal battle with MB that I would most likely lose anyway.
The bill (in 2003) was $44k.
Btw, I did not send the parts back to Renntech, told dealer to keep them and later installed them in the repaired car with new engine.
Brass ***** for sure under those circumstances lol. Can't say I wouldn't have done the same
Old 12-17-2018, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ralcbah
I don't believe it's that simple, to be honest. Yes, some Mercedes dealers resell Renntech upgrades or Brabus or whatever, and yes, some will warranty those parts and say they will not void your overall car warranty just because you have said parts installed. However, if you blow up your engine (unlikely) or if you bomb your transmission (not nearly as unlikely), a Mercedes dealer will not go on out a limb to protect you from MB, as they could themselves get in trouble with MB. The only universal truths here:

- if you mod your cars habitually, just be prepared to have to come out of pocket at some point in your life (may not happen, but understand it's a real possibility)
- no dealer will sacrifice their relationship with MB for any customer, when it comes down to warrantying a large claim, where the failure was due to excessive power/etc
- if a dealer does choose to pay for your new transmission or engine, consider this an exception to the rule, and not the rule itself

I'm not trying to scare people from modding their cars, but it's important to understand the reality here, and not just 3rd/4th hand stories.
> where the failure was due to excessive power/etc

Does upping boost and changing timing to add 80 peak whp really classify as "excessive power"/what can really realistically go wrong from a simple flash/OBD tune?

On top of that, that's the *Mercedes* warranty. Didn't Renntech make the genius sales move to have their own warranty through them, on top of the Mercedes warranty (which we are all hypothetically is 100% blown if you flash your car and experience a complete transmission + engine failure?)

https://www.renntechmercedes.com/ind...customer/faq-s
Old 12-17-2018, 06:11 PM

2018 E63S
> where the failure was due to excessive power/etc

Does upping boost and changing timing to add 80 peak whp really classify as "excessive power"/what can really realistically go wrong from a simple flash/OBD tune?

On top of that, that's the *Mercedes* warranty. Didn't Renntech make the genius sales move to have their own warranty through them, on top of the Mercedes warranty (which we are all hypothetically is 100% blown if you flash your car and experience a complete transmission + engine failure?)

https://www.renntechmercedes.com/ind...customer/faq-s

​​​​​​​Excessive in the sense it is beyond stock. Anything can go realistically wrong.....I needed a new trans with a tune only setup. Figure out what/who you're willing to put your trust in, and do something, or not.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Excessive in the sense it is beyond stock. Anything can go realistically wrong.....I needed a new trans with a tune only setup. Figure out what/who you're willing to put your trust in, and do something, or not.
What model/year/tune? That's quite interesting to hear.

I blew my entire F10 M5 engine but it was manual and I drove it hard as hell and I had a JB4 on it for a few days before I said f*ck it and returned it because that ***** broke down on me in traffic in 95º heat and I had to push it across 4 lanes of traffic while a cop yelled at me like it was my fault lol
Old 12-17-2018, 06:18 PM

2018 E63S
What model/year/tune? That's quite interesting to hear.

I blew my entire F10 M5 engine but it was manual and I drove it hard as hell and I had a JB4 on it for a few days before I said f*ck it and returned it because that ***** broke down on me in traffic in 95º heat and I had to push it across 4 lanes of traffic while a cop yelled at me like it was my fault lol

Lol. Yikes man. 2018 e63 with weistec tune. Was at drag strip. There have been a handful of tranny failures in the us on this car...tuned by various folks. New transmission is holding up just fine with more power and at drag strip, so, must've been a bad one destined to fail...
Old 12-17-2018, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lol. Yikes man. 2018 e63 with weistec tune. Was at drag strip. There have been a handful of tranny failures in the us on this car...tuned by various folks. New transmission is holding up just fine with more power and at drag strip, so, must've been a bad one destined to fail...
Did it fail while you were launching it? Did they give you any trouble because it was tuned? How much was the new tranny + labor to install it? Did you have to pay any of it?