Rear seats and air bags

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Rear seats and air bags

Does anyone think the rear side airbags or seat belt airbags will interfere with a child in a car seat or smaller child without a car seat? (The seat belt pass through the plastic car seat loop in the child car seat) I've got a child in a car seat now but he will be out in about a 1 -1.5 years and I'm considering the 325 rear safety package or at least 293 rear side air bags in my order.
Thanks!
Old 01-02-2019, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok, I didn't make the winter event time to buy an E63 (the one dealer that had close to what I wanted refused to trade to a dealer I would buy from) so now I'm going to order exactly what I want. Plus I'll save a little money on unwanted options.
So has anyone had any experience with the rear seat safety package? Will the rear seat belts with the air bags work with a rear car seat? I know they are thicker and might not feed through a car seat. Anyone seen any articles or news about them?
And is it really late April before I can get one in from an order?
Old 01-02-2019, 05:48 PM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
Ok, I didn't make the winter event time to buy an E63 (the one dealer that had close to what I wanted refused to trade to a dealer I would buy from) so now I'm going to order exactly what I want. Plus I'll save a little money on unwanted options.
So has anyone had any experience with the rear seat safety package? Will the rear seat belts with the air bags work with a rear car seat? I know they are thicker and might not feed through a car seat. Anyone seen any articles or news about them?
And is it really late April before I can get one in from an order?
Not sure about the rear seat safety package since it's a new for 2019 thing in the E63 (but I probably would have skipped it because, depending on the design, belt bags can inflate with enough force to damage/deform a child seat...again, depending on the path of the belt through the seat).

As far as delivery dates go, that sounds right for an order placed now. If it doesn't get made by late April/early May (parts delays, factory strikes, etc), then it would become a 2020 build. Hopefully they've got the supply chain issues they've struggled with since launch under control. My order was locked in late '17 for a first week of Jan '18 build, didn't get built until April '18. Some late spring '18 builds got pushed to '19 and didn't get released for sale until last month. I wish it were more predicable but...
Options and part availability also factor in. They were limiting carbon brake orders to a few a week, might still be.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks. The only thing that may hold up my order, if I go that way i the heads up. But I don't really ue the one I have in the M550i now anyway. (can't see it through my sunglasses so I would not miss one)
Old 01-03-2019, 06:10 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
535XIT, E63S
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
Thanks. The only thing that may hold up my order, if I go that way i the heads up. But I don't really ue the one I have in the M550i now anyway. (can't see it through my sunglasses so I would not miss one)
I can see the heads up on my 2018 E63S with sun glasses, they are shaded but not polarized .
Old 01-16-2019, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok, we are ordeing and I've ruled out the seat belt airbags (Safe kids, Birtax, and others have said no on those). But no one can tell me anything about the rear side air bags ($420 option). Short of calling either the IIHS or some federal agency, does anyone know of anyone that might give me some good advice that I can contact about them? I'm about to just delete it from the build.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:10 AM

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
2019 E63S Wagon
Don't wear polarizing lenses

Originally Posted by V70cat
I can see the heads up on my 2018 E63S with sun glasses, they are shaded but not polarized .
I use my heads up display all the time for speed and Nav system instructions. I find it one of the most useful options I got. I use sunglasses frequently, but they are also not polarized.