W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting in Sport Plus w/ Perf Exhaust (flaps open)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 04:17 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
W213 AMG 2019 E63S Wagon
Starting in Sport Plus w/ Perf Exhaust (flaps open)

I am not advocating doing this in the morning to annoy neighbors... And I only mention this because some people say the first thing they do is open the flaps after starting (if they have performance exhaust)

But interestingly. When I took delivery of the 19 E63S Wagon at the Center of Excellence here in Germany, and the rep was showing me how to start up, engage options etc. I asked why, if you had the flaps open when you turn the car off, does it go to quiet mode upon start up next time (only being in comfort mode as the only option). He said it is not possible to crank the car with the flaps open, probably to be quiet in the AM, and also to possibly comply with German law, because with flaps open it might not pass the noise inspection...

However, it is possible to crank with flaps open... Without touching the brake, if you turn on the ignition (hit the start button once, then again, then select sport plus, then put foot on the brake, and start - it is a whole different sound starting up - especially if the car is already warmed up. You even get the gargle and pops. I mainly mention this because sometimes people just want to see/ hear your car and starting it this way occasionally is a different experience. Sorry if everyone already stumbled on to this - This is my first MB!
The following 2 users liked this post by Pioneer222:
Mocha15 (03-01-2019), tonecas (03-01-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 06:40 AM

Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts
‘22 Ram Limited 4x4, '21 GLE63S, ‘14 Corvette Stingray
During my delivery yesterday they showed a similar trick, only instead of popping it in sport plus, he put in auxiliary mode, then pushed the exhaust button. Et voila.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:48 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
W213 AMG 2019 E63S Wagon
Right, that works as well. Doing that is similar, allows opening the flaps but then cranking in comfort mode. I think the initial rev that must be higher in sport plus gives such an explosive sound - depending on when one might want this. Because of the higher rev I think doing this when the car is already warm is safer. Thanks!
Old 02-28-2019, 07:45 AM

Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 E63S
When my car was stock I used to do this! Sounds pretty aggressive...also did it quite a bit after I went catless. Now that I have a full turbo back exhaust, I don't do it anymore. Way too loud and obnoxious. Even coded out some of the cold start. Never have I thought a car was too loud upon start, but with full exhaust, this car achieves it...