Sponsored by:

Considering E63 S AMG Wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 01:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
N/A
Originally Posted by TugboatBill
Apologies can be hard, but in a way they're a measure of one's self.
are you referring to me?
Nothing to apologise about. What I posted was common sense. If you want good gas mileage you buy an economical car. This holds true no matter what your abilities may or may not be.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:31 PM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
Ha! if you want good gas mileage... buy a McLaren 12C... I've been driving one around and it gets 17.9 MPG! better than the E or my 997.2 TT..... Go figure.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 669 Likes on 525 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
I was just joking of going to the gas stations to see the pretty girls. For me the extra 100 to 150 mile range is a big deal as I don't have to get in and out of the car as much as each time I'm transferring in and breaking down the wheelchair and pulling it in, amazing my shoulders still work at all after 38 years of doing this. I still get to drive what seems like basically the same car minus all the noise and about a 2 second difference give or take in the Quarter mile. Ya, 2 seconds is a lot, but all the torque with this twin turbo V6 is down low and it all comes on at once even with minimal throttle application when in sport plus mode making the car feel faster than it really is. Long day yesterday after 5 hours of Tennis, but I drove out towards the drag track and got dinner and then realized I'm way too tired to be running my car down the quarter mile tonight and don't even really care. So what if I run a 13.2 or 13.5, my car has nothing to prove to me just as long as it's comfortable and reliable are the two main considerations. With the population explosion and all the cars on the road in Florida I really can't even tap the performance of the E450 let alone the E63 AMG. Anyhow that was part of my reasoning for getting rid of my E63 AMG. It just didn't make a lot of sense at least for me and the conditions I drive in these days. Now if I lived in someplace that had expansive roads without too many cops hidden on the highways like Texas or Utah or something I could see why a car like the E63 would make sense. In the summers I'm driving New England roads that are bumpy as hell. Again the E450 gets the nod with me with it's much smoother ride in these driving conditions.

My Brother is not into performance cars as much as he use to be either, he currently is driving a BMW I8 which will only do the quarter mile in 12.8 or so. But the car looks cool as hell although it's a far cry from his last car a Twin Turbo C5 corvette that when the boost was dialed up would push out over 1000 HP. Amazing the stock block took all that abuse with 2 big Garnett Turbos for over 100K miles. Point is, performance is not always everything, there's always gonna be a guy with a faster car. Now that I'm about to turn 61, I'm like who really cares, lol.

Last edited by 2012 merc amg; 04-12-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
VW Golf
I agree. For the past 8 years since I got my driver's license I have always been drooling over performance cars and dreaming about owning one. But I think cars is like a lot of other fine things in life, that once you get a taste of them, they become less desirable and no long able to justify their cost. I went down the road of performance modifications on my Gold R couple of years ago and I swore I'd never change anything on an OEM vehicle ever again. Most of us have a life to tend to and at the end of the day, cars should be the last thing we worry about. That being said, I'm still very excited for my incoming E63 but who knows, it might be my last AMG too.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 669 Likes on 525 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
I still do have a desire to get a Ferrari before I die, thats something I've never owned. Probably about the least practical car ever though. But nothing sounds as good as a Ferrari when it's revving and they are a true sports car.
The following users liked this post:
Jason Berkeley (04-23-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 379 Likes on 250 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon, 2017 Z51 Corvette
Well, I decided I'd go for a 2020 and order it later this year. Was planning on white and a limited set of options to keep the cost down. Then heard the production spots were all taken. Bummed out I checked Autotrader and I'm now the owner of a 18 CPO. Price was just below 100K. It has 4400 miles and is in brand new condition and with almost all the options I wanted. It is missing soft close & acoustic - both of which I can get by with quite easily. It has the 3 zone and rear seat heating (two options I would never have ordered) and lighting package, black dinamica headliner, black seatbelts (black interior), driver assist, performance exhaust, red metallic + CF exterior.

The wheels are the twin 5 spoke with black accents. I don't like them at all. Just not enough shiny for my tastes. I might have them polished or go with something else.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:33 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
535XIT, E63S
Well, I decided I'd go for a 2020 and order it later this year. Was planning on white and a limited set of options to keep the cost down. Then heard the production spots were all taken. Bummed out I checked Autotrader and I'm now the owner of a 18 CPO. Price was just below 100K. It has 4400 miles and is in brand new condition and with almost all the options I wanted. It is missing soft close & acoustic - both of which I can get by with quite easily. It has the 3 zone and rear seat heating (two options I would never have ordered) and lighting package, black dinamica headliner, black seatbelts (black interior), driver assist, performance exhaust, red metallic + CF exterior.

The wheels are the twin 5 spoke with black accents. I don't like them at all. Just not enough shiny for my tastes. I might have them polished or go with something else.
I didn’t think you could get a third seat on the E63?
Old 07-07-2019, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AFAIK, you can't.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:45 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
535XIT, E63S
AFAIK, you can't.
Sorry I took the 3 zones for three seats, my bad.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:45 AM

Received 109 Likes on 71 Posts
‘22 Ram Limited 4x4, '21 GLE63S, ‘14 Corvette Stingray
Congrats man!! Post pictures :-) CPO is the to go. 3 zone climate is worth it if you have family that ride in the back and they can control their own AC.

There’s no third row option for the 63.

How ow do you like it?
Old 07-07-2019, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So far, so good. Haven't driven it much other than the trip home (Santa Rosa to San Jose via SF. Taking a 2 week vacation starting next weekend. North through CA and Oregon, then across to Montana then back. Plenty of driving time to get used to it.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:47 PM

Montana is gorgeous. If you’re getting close to Billings, Bear Tooth Pass has to be one of the best driving roads in North America. I got told about it by an old WWII veteran and this road will take you from the foothills of the Rockies to 11,000 ft elevation. It starts in Red Lodge, about an hour southwest of Billings.

Happy driving!
Old 07-07-2019, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 317 Likes on 218 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Smile

Originally Posted by Dunga
Montana is gorgeous. If you’re getting close to Billings, Bear Tooth Pass has to be one of the best driving roads in North America. I got told about it by an old WWII veteran and this road will take you from the foothills of the Rockies to 11,000 ft elevation. It starts in Red Lodge, about an hour southwest of Billings.

Happy driving!
Montana roads were better when I was growing up (grew up in North Dakota and lived in Minnesota before moving to Pennsylvania about 30 years ago). My first ever “speeding” ticket when I was a teenager was in Montana going much faster than I will ever admit but the ticket was I think about $5. It was not a speeding ticket per se but it was a ticket for “wasting natural resources”. Wished Montana still had the unlimited daytime speed limit.
The following users liked this post:
ronin amg (07-27-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I lived in Montana through high school and college. I got several of those $5 tickets. If you were over (IIRC) about 70 or 75 they could write you a real ticket. The conversation always went like this (after getting pulled over at 85+):
Going a little fast weren't you?
Nice day, clear weather, almost no traffic; just making time.
<get $5 ticket>
Try not to get pulled over again (friendly talk).
I'll try not to.
I was already over the limit before the HPO pulled out.

One of the worst things to happen to Montana was when the media picked up that it was the "autobahn state".

If you're ever in Montana or any other state with a decent deer population do not speed at dawn, dusk, or at night and pay close attention to the sides of the roads. I spent an hour one time around dusk on a hill near a highway. I was amazed at how many deer were crossing the road. I'd driven that road many a time and had no clue.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:42 PM

I lived in Montana through high school and college. I got several of those $5 tickets. If you were over (IIRC) about 70 or 75 they could write you a real ticket. The conversation always went like this (after getting pulled over at 85+):
Going a little fast weren't you?
Nice day, clear weather, almost no traffic; just making time.
<get $5 ticket>
Try not to get pulled over again (friendly talk).
I'll try not to.
I was already over the limit before the HPO pulled out.

One of the worst things to happen to Montana was when the media picked up that it was the "autobahn state".

If you're ever in Montana or any other state with a decent deer population do not speed at dawn, dusk, or at night and pay close attention to the sides of the roads. I spent an hour one time around dusk on a hill near a highway. I was amazed at how many deer were crossing the road. I'd driven that road many a time and had no clue.
Yes! Lotta deer. I hit a deer my first time there. In my defense I had been driving all day, it was getting dark, a blind corner, windshield full of bugs, I was tired, listening to my book on tape, and there were friggin two of them just standing in the middle of the road. Got out of it with a broken fog light in my old Accord. That sort of got me started on a bad car buying trend since I traded the car in while it was being repaired the following week.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There are a lot of bugs in Montana. There's a full detail when I get back. The more I drive it the more I like it. Solid up to 150mph so far. Lots of dusting from the brakes which I don't like so I'll be swapping pads when I get back. Starting to look at wheels too.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 239 Likes on 179 Posts
Trek Bike
There are a lot of bugs in Montana. There's a full detail when I get back. The more I drive it the more I like it. Solid up to 150mph so far. Lots of dusting from the brakes which I don't like so I'll be swapping pads when I get back. Starting to look at wheels too.
Cool, glad to hear you made the right choice after all! Enjoy and post some pics....
Old 07-24-2019, 08:02 PM

Bugs are a big pain in my *** here in Minnesota. I’ve tried Citrol spray but still looking for a better product. I find them particularly hard to get off the clear bra. Plus they get in the big gaping intakes and get smeared on the intercoolers and radiators. Too much wining I know.

Glad you’re enjoying the car. I’ve found Iron X to do great work breaking down the brake dust residue. It is a never ending battle though.