W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present

125k car with mechanical issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2019 | 04:33 PM

2019 E63s
125k car with mechanical issues?

Took delivery in December. Love the car, really, I do. I came from a 2018 RS5 (which was a lemon law buyback) There are some issues...

I've seen others report the startup problem where it'll rev to like 4k RPMs. Mine has this issue. Very often.

Also, sometimes, when I have the car in S+ and I go to get on the throttle it'll jerk like the transmission is slipping or something.

Lastly, when is S+ the 2nd to 1st downshift is very clunky. I was told this was "normal" to "protect the transmission"

If anyone can provide any insight on this I'd really appreciate it. I really don't want to have to take it to the dealer a hundred times like I had to with my RS5... that was eventually bought back.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-10-2019 | 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Sport + isn't supposed to be smooth, it's for track use. I don't know why people expect it to work like Comfort mode on the street. The car does not normally downshift to 1st gear unless in sport, as it's just not needed unless maximum effort launching is the goal. Can't speak on the startup rev issue, haven't seen one of them do that.
Old 03-10-2019 | 05:07 PM

2019 E63s
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Sport + isn't supposed to be smooth, it's for track use. I don't know why people expect it to work like Comfort mode on the street. The car does not normally downshift to 1st gear unless in sport, as it's just not needed unless maximum effort launching is the goal. Can't speak on the startup rev issue, haven't seen one of them do that.
By no means do I expect it to be comparable to comfort. My only complaint with it is the fact that it jerks when it goes from 2nd to 1st. Just an uneasy/cringy feeling. Sometimes it does it, other times it doesn't.
Old 03-10-2019 | 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
There isn't really an adaptation for that shift as it normally isn't used. The car during regular driving will only go down to 2nd gear. Don't worry about it.
Old 03-10-2019 | 05:15 PM

2019 E63s
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
There isn't really an adaptation for that shift as it normally isn't used. The car during regular driving will only go down to 2nd gear. Don't worry about it.
The problem is... I only drive the car in S+. Start it in S+ and only drive it in S+. I think I may have driven it in comfort about two or three times. Unwillingly lol

It's not really a big deal though, I'm more worried about the excessive revving and transmission going crazy sometimes.
Old 03-10-2019 | 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by 19E63s
The problem is... I only drive the car in S+. Start it in S+ and only drive it in S+. I think I may have driven it in comfort about two or three times. Unwillingly lol

It's not really a big deal though, I'm more worried about the excessive revving and transmission going crazy sometimes.
You should drive it in comfort when not beating on it. The adaptations are only done in comfort mode, it doesn't learn in sport or sport+. Try that for a bit and see if it improves. That's one of the reasons they say to observe the 1k mile break in period, to let everything learn in the adaptations, it's not for mechanicals, but the software side of it.
Old 03-10-2019 | 11:26 PM

E90 M3
The coarse 2->1 downshift is normal in sport+ as noted above. If you don't like it don't drive it in that mode. Or if you insist on only driving in that mode and don't like it get another car.

Start up revs to 4k are not normal. Go to a dealer and get it addressed. Doing that once does not mean it will happen "like a hundred times"...

Seems like you've been scarred by your RS5 experience but don't jump to conclusions about it being a lemon without at least trying to fix it. It has a warranty, use it.

And finally, yes even $125k cars have issues. They shouldn't but it happens to the best of them flambé'd Ferrari's and Porsche's, BMWs with reciting engine flaws, examples everywhere. What matters is how they address it.