Sponsored by:

RENNtech hand held tuner ECU upgrade E63/S Gains: +82 HP & +84 LB-FT

Old 05-16-2019, 06:58 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG stock (For now)
Originally Posted by MuffinFlavored
Yes and no.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unifie...ostic_Services

You see SID $10? Diagnostic Session Control? That is what all OBD-II flashers are doing. Somebody reverse engineered the seed/key logic for Bosch MED17.7.5 ECU, then reverse engineered the checksum algorithm for the transfer of data, then got their hands on a DAMOS/map to understand the values of the stored region on the ECU that relates to boost/timing/fuel/yada yada.

You increment some kind of internal, read only ECU counter when you do a "Programming Session" session followed by a $34 (Request Upload).

If you unplug your computer, you will empty what is in your RAM. If you unplug your computer, you will not erase what is on your "hard drive"

I like the idea of unplugging the car/doing a reset, but... the reality is: Mercedes doesn't want you tuning your car + getting a warranty. They have some kind of counter/incrementor that is like a "hard drive" (aka, in my eyes, invulnerable to lack of power from battery, but I have no proof to back this up)
I see..do you think it is a good idea to buy a new extra ecu and do your tunes with one ecu..then when you're ready for service, swap lmao (Mercedes Benz will not like this thread lmao)
Old 05-16-2019, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Guys, cool talk but this is a sponsors thread- leave the dialogue associated with the product... you can start your own dialogue or take it to PM.

thanks.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts
2018 W213 E 63 S AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by Terence E ENoh
I see..do you think it is a good idea to buy a new extra ecu and do your tunes with one ecu..then when you're ready for service, swap lmao (Mercedes Benz will not like this thread lmao)
lmao, you are right. let alone the sales guy who was trying to promote his product and we hijacked the f*ck out of it

i think buying a second ECU is a great idea. especially since, it probably is WAY less expensive than dealing with your own warranty troubles

i don't know how you'd flash your ECU to have your VIN and odometer matching perfectly (and i'm sure a million other configuration values), so that might trip them off, but if you can find a shop to do ECU swaps and you can get your hands on an MED17.7.5 ECU, that's the smartest idea i've heard yet

edit: sorry vic, we'll stop
Old 05-17-2019, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Ya, sorry Vic. But I hope that maybe tuners get the message that it might be worth their while to do like how Superchips does it and make their handhelds be useable again once the tuned car is tuned back to stock (locked after tuning the car, but unlocked when the car is tuned back to stock). This would make it possible to sell the tuner on eBay or other source if the said car was sold so at least then the tuner would not be worthless. Buy the tuner for 1600 bucks and then use it a couple years and sell it on eBay for 800 bucks. I'd really think they'd increase their sales that way as people think about these things. With me it would be great as I have two cars with the same powertrain and I could revert one back to stock and do the tune on the other for a while. No way am I buying two tuners. If I tune one car and feel the extra power chances are I'll want to drive the other car with a tune at times. Hopefully this feedback will give the sponsors some ideas and possibly increase their sales of the handhelds. So it might have been a good thing talking about it here.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:59 AM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
AMG E63s
How much variation is there re max HP and Max torque between multiple E63s'--I have seen different dyno tested E63s' and the graphs from one to the next can be significantly different. Dragy runs from one E63s to the next can look dramatically different from one car to the next. I know that the figures can vary dramatically between one dyno and another dyno made by a different manufacturer or due to different conditions like ambient temperatures/fuel/humidity/atmospheric pressure etc but wondering if there was a way to maximize the mapping for each car within Mercedes tolerances. Just curious how much difference there might be from one E63s to the next if you tested multiple cars on the same day/same time on the same dyno.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I guess maybe thats why a Dyno tune makes a lot of sense.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:02 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
E63 2018
pardon my ignorance, but if the gains are +82HP how the power numbers reach 773HP?
The car stock is 603HP.
The following users liked this post:
ronin amg (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 07:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Gotic4u
pardon my ignorance, but if the gains are +82HP how the power numbers reach 773HP?
The car stock is 603HP.
the car is 603hp at the crank stock, underrated from the factory

renntech put their actual “closer to realistic stock power to the wheels” on the site
Old 06-18-2019, 07:53 AM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Mercedes-AMG E 63 S 4MATIC+ 2018
What will be the gain in power and torque if used with 91 gas ?
Old 06-18-2019, 03:44 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by simarddominic
What will be the gain in power and torque if used with 91 gas ?
They do not have published numbers for 91. Obviously it will be less than what is shown, and you would need want to specify that when ordering to have the tune optimized for 91.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:58 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Mercedes-AMG E 63 S 4MATIC+ 2018
I know but what is the usual percentage loss between 93 and 91? We can certainly deduce the gain with 91 ...
Old 06-19-2019, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2008 BS
Yes. They voided my warranty.
Which MB did this?

I thought with the mag act they can't void a warranty unless they can prove whatever problem arises is a result of what you have done.

I don't think merc can just do that out of the blue....if for whatever reason you put non OEM windshield wipers on they could void your warranty?????

Last edited by ecampbell; 06-19-2019 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by ecampbell
Which MB did this?

I thought with the mag act they can't void a warranty unless they can prove whatever problem arises is a result of what you have done.

I don't think merc can just do that out of the blue....if for whatever reason you put non OEM windshield wipers on they could void your warranty?????
They can, and will, flag a car for engine mods. They will honor warranty claims that are not power-train related but reserve the right to examine every claim to determine if the mods could be responsible.

If you have modded your engine, it's a matter of luck (and the strength of your relationship with your service advisor) whether or not your car gets flagged. If it is, it's in the central database so every MB dealer will know.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Red face

Originally Posted by whoover
They can, and will, flag a car for engine mods. They will honor warranty claims that are not power-train related but reserve the right to examine every claim to determine if the mods could be responsible.

If you have modded your engine, it's a matter of luck (and the strength of your relationship with your service advisor) whether or not your car gets flagged. If it is, it's in the central database so every MB dealer will know.
as somebody on the wrong side of this coin, i will tell you what my service advisor (and his manager) told me:

"i am not going to put myself on the line to protect the customer's wallet. i can get in trouble and put my job in jeopardy with Mercedes for not reporting warranty claims"

translated to my ears, this means "you didn't pay somebody enough hush money and you have no clout here, pay for it white IT dorky boy who supposedly has deep pockets because he swapaleased the cheapest E63S he could find"
Old 06-19-2019, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ecampbell
Which MB did this?

Mercedes Benz of North Palm Beach

I went there specifically because I was told they are "tune friendly", and then I got into an argument with the service advisor (stupidly on my part) and she flagged my car status R quicker than my average sex life encounter.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'19 GT 4 63s ,'17 Bentley Bentayga, '06 Ford GT
Very nice result for a 'canned tune' so to speak. I bought the Renntech lowering module/programmer in the same format as this thing, worked a treat. I'll be handing over my GT63s to my tuner next week though, I trust the tunes he gets from MCChip in Germany and he checks and tweaks the tune on the dyno from the base file they provide. Be interesting to compare. I've also got my existing Akrapovic exhaust and downpipes from my E63s going on, so good to be able to tweak for those bolts too.

EDIT 2 Aug 19: work is done on my car and results came up outstanding with the ECU/TCU tune plus full exhaust.

Mercedes Benz of North Palm Beach

I went there specifically because I was told they are "tune friendly", and then I got into an argument with the service advisor (stupidly on my part) and she flagged my car status R quicker than my average sex life encounter.
Quite an important aspect there as I've experienced very recently. I've never had to worry about this till I just sold my E63s after having the tune and exhaust taken off. There was a minor issue with the exhaust valve flap rattling and despite the car being at literally the dealership my best buddy owns, his service had it about the ECU having been opened up (last of that gen cars that my tuner did that with fortunately). Mind you they also completely mis-identified the issue as 'turbo wastegate' which was potentially going to worth big money as a warranty fix. Fortunately I was connected with my other good friends contact at the AMG centre up in Sydney and they sorted it zero problems, correctly identifying the issue. I also queried them on behalf of my tuner to see if they'd be willing to work with some of his other customers when warranty issues come up. They said absolutely no problems whatsoever, delighted to assist.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
201908021301.pdf (53.8 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by OzSL55; 08-02-2019 at 02:13 AM. Reason: updated info
Old 07-14-2019, 11:38 AM

Received 124 Likes on 99 Posts
E63S 4MATIC 213
i think rentech are being optimistic with standard performance figures i had mine done at DMS performance (in uk) and put on dyno it was over 720bhp 1000nm torque! stock figures are pretty much as Mercedes claim!
Old 11-05-2019, 08:49 PM

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
300sl roadster
I have a 63 GT and would love to try the Renntec tune but I REALLY don't care for the 9-speed transmission... already had the car back to the dealer to see if it is performing to specs and they say yes...the rev's don't match all the time and the tranny seems to be disconnected from the engine response... I'm just concerned with the Renntec tune that the transmission will be even more lost...
My 8-speed BMW M responds much better ?????
Old 11-05-2019, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SLcruzen
I have a 63 GT and would love to try the Renntec tune but I REALLY don't care for the 9-speed transmission... already had the car back to the dealer to see if it is performing to specs and they say yes...the rev's don't match all the time and the tranny seems to be disconnected from the engine response... I'm just concerned with the Renntec tune that the transmission will be even more lost...
My 8-speed BMW M responds much better ?????
Maybe you’d be better off with a custom tune so you can get the trans dialed in more to your liking and probably get my HP. 84 is not a lot.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:38 PM

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
300sl roadster
I did speak to Renntech about the transmission module and was told they do not have the ability to alter the tranny code.. I would have thought Renntech would want to tweak the transmission to be in sync the the performance upgrades