W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present

Help identify sound from overhead control panel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 10:42 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
N/A
Help identify sound from overhead control panel?

Folk,

I'm looking for some assistance in identifying/verifying a sound coming from the overhead control panel on a 2019 E63S Wagon. To me it sounds like a small fan, and I based on my quick searches I believe there is a small fan in the overhead control panel for pulling in air to measure temperature and such.

A quick 30 second video is here:
with the sound more apparent towards the middle (15 seconds in) once I turn off the AC.

I'm wanting to source the problem before going to the dealer to hopefully simplify getting it repaired.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jason
Old 07-01-2019, 10:55 AM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by jasonbrent
Folk,

I'm looking for some assistance in identifying/verifying a sound coming from the overhead control panel on a 2019 E63S Wagon. To me it sounds like a small fan, and I based on my quick searches I believe there is a small fan in the overhead control panel for pulling in air to measure temperature and such.

A quick 30 second video is here: https://youtu.be/Bo5L9qy8JMM with the sound more apparent towards the middle (15 seconds in) once I turn off the AC.

I'm wanting to source the problem before going to the dealer to hopefully simplify getting it repaired.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jason
I believe the fan in there is to cool off the cameras at the top of the windshield. That said, it shouldn't be loud enough to notice, might need replacement.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 240 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
I'm out of town now so I can't look at mine, but it sounds like the aspirator. This is a tiny fan that draws air in from the cabin to measure its temperature for the climate control. You can verify it by placing a tiny piece of tissue paper over the area when the system is running. If it gets pulled toward it, its the aspirator.

The one on my 2006 S65 was bad when the car was new. The occasional noise (only on deceleration) was driving me nuts but the dealer's service foreman knew what it was instantly.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
N/A
Thank you all.... I'll have to set up an appointment with the stealership I guess.

-j