Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECU Tuning - Pros/Cons ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by MuffinFlavored
> Currently, they are doing a Renntech turbo upgrade on my 2019 S63, it's my daily driver and I am still covered by the warranty as long as MB does not get their hands on my car.

so... here is where that is confusing to me.

you are covered by a "mercedes" warranty, but as soon as you take it to "mercedes" to "use your warranty" in case of an issue, your warranty will be voided

aka what good is it to have your warranty in a state that, as soon as mercedes "sees" your car, you don't really have a warranty? isn't that effectively the same as having no warranty? or do you take your car to a special non-mercedes shop that can make mercedes-warranty-approved claims?
Sorry for not being more clear,
By "mercedes" I mean MBUSA folks, dealer will fix everything unrelated to mods themselves, will put a claim for all the usual stuff and all is good.
If MBUSA finds out about mods, they immediately put a Status 8 on your car and any warranty work gets difficult or impossible (you have to prove it is unrelated to work you have done).
In essence. I am still covered and my dealer will perform all work unless the engine or transmission blow up directly caused by the modifications.
If that happens I get stuck with the bill for that engine (or transmission) although Renntech would share the expense (that's why I would not do any mods by anyone else, Brabus is the only other company that will fully stand behind their product).
Old 10-22-2019, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts
2018 W213 E 63 S AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by absent
Sorry for not being more clear,
By "mercedes" I mean MBUSA folks, dealer will fix everything unrelated to mods themselves, will put a claim for all the usual stuff and all is good.
If MBUSA finds out about mods, they immediately put a Status 8 on your car and any warranty work gets difficult or impossible (you have to prove it is unrelated to work you have done).
In essence. I am still covered and my dealer will perform all work unless the engine or transmission blow up directly caused by the modifications.
If that happens I get stuck with the bill for that engine (or transmission) although Renntech would share the expense (that's why I would not do any mods by anyone else, Brabus is the only other company that will fully stand behind their product).
is your VIN status 8 or not?
Old 10-23-2019, 12:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
VW Golf
Originally Posted by Carac
If we're talking about an ECU tune exclusively:

Pro: A jump in acceleration so minor you'll probably need instrumentation to tell the difference.

Con: Increased out of spec stress on transmission, differential, engine, etc. combined with loss of the warranty covering those items possibly exposing you to thousands of out of pocket repairs, car flagged in perpetuity at dealerships, etc.

In other words, if you're just going to dip your toe into tuning, it's not worth it. You need to get into hardware upgrades if you want serious, tangible gains and at that point you're dumping so much money into the car you don't really care about the warranty or resale.
Completely agree. i ruined my first car, Golf R with tuning. A lot of headache. definitely not worth. Save the money and use it on some other meaningful things.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by MuffinFlavored
is your VIN status 8 or not?
Not the current car.
Happened only once, in 2007, a newly hired service advisor mentioned Kleemann Diff to a visiting MB tech who immediately slapped the Status 8 on my car.
I was not happy, Service manager wasn't either and wanted to fire him but I advised him it could open a whole net can of worms.....
Old 10-25-2019, 11:39 AM

Received 124 Likes on 99 Posts
E63S 4MATIC 213
Originally Posted by Deanchen1993
Completely agree. i ruined my first car, Golf R with tuning. A lot of headache. definitely not worth. Save the money and use it on some other meaningful things.
Maybe you chose the wrong tuner have always had mine mapped with massive increase in power and no issues!